Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

I am trying to convince the wife that gas logs are the way to go, for the reason Big Man has given. Even though my house is only 50 years old, I am afraid she will get too distracted with the kids and not keep an eye on a fire while I'm at work. I'd at least like to put them in the downstairs, where they spend most of their time during the day.

Oh yeah. They've got a pilot light so all you have to do is push a button and...whoosh...instant fire. I could have spent a few more dollars and gotten the model just above mine; it has a remote control zapper. With those logs, you can light the fireplace and never move off of the couch. But I'm slowly getting into the nostalgia for the Golden Age thing, so I decided it'd be better to "rough it" with more retro style logs.

AF

Rough it! :rofl: With gas you might as well just go over to the furnace and turn it on rather than waste it going out the chimney. :p
I get too much free firewood out here to ever use gas. I like having to REALLY rough it. If the fire takes you longer than 15 minutes to build then you haven’t ever been a Boy Scout. :p

I really enjoy a fire in the fireplace. I need to install some gas logs in mine. Having a "real" fire in a 100+ year old fireplace and chimney scares me too much.

I hav both min inspcted and cleaned evey other year. That way you know the condition and safety of using them. The house chimney is over 80 years old and still smoking. :p The summer houe fireplace is over 65 years old and used even more than the house chimney. I wouldn't have it any other way. :p

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
A glimpse into my living room, not entirely vintage, but someone in reblogging it on Tumblr, described it is as "vintage prep + bohemian," and I actually think that's a pretty accurate description. I do have a great deal of what most would consider more "bohemian" pieces that are from my travels to places like India, but there's usually something vintage nearby or paired with them. I love mixing and matching (as you can maybe tell).

One of my favorite old aspects in my apartment is actually the floors though, the original from 1888. Few things can compete (in my mind) with beautiful aged and roughed up wood.

tumblr_nca0y9ZNtJ1qzavz8o1_1280.jpg

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
Thank you, dh66! My apartment hunt went on for 8 months because I insisted on having original floors. All these historical rowhouses around Baltimore and so many times the floors are just slapped over with some ugly carpet, or worse, completely torn out and redone with some kind of fake laminate wood.

I was never big on carpet either. When I lived in apartments it would end up getting gross from too many spilled beers. Then when I got dogs, and then kids, it would get even grosser. Wood floors are the way to go.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I really enjoy a fire in the fireplace. I need to install some gas logs in mine. Having a "real" fire in a 100+ year old fireplace and chimney scares me too much.

Be careful what you wish for. My house came with a gas fireplace. The other day, I decided to light it, suddenly, I have alarms going off, so I shut it down. turns out, it was never vented!
IMG_20141023_132339_317_zps996903dc.jpg
IMG_20141023_132403_543_zpsc06eb594.jpg

That fireplace is fantastic Stearman. The cobalt glazed tiles look awesome. It shouldn't be a big deal at all to swap them out for the ventless kind. Just a little $$$$ outlay.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That fireplace is fantastic Stearman. The cobalt glazed tiles look awesome. It shouldn't be a big deal at all to swap them out for the ventless kind. Just a little $$$$ outlay.

If it's just a mater of logs and gas lines, I will do it. I don't want to lose the insert, just to cool looking with all the dragons!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy