Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Tatum

Practically Family
Our house looked lovely at Christmas, at Rue's request here are a few shots...not that you can see much of the house, but I'm still proud of it :)

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

Tatum

Practically Family
Thank you! We had a hard time deciding where to put the tree this year, as the spot it occupied the year before now has a large piece of furniture in it... So in the foyer it went, in front of the phone booth. Our neighbors loved that they could see it walking by!

Tatum

Practically Family
Hmmm... Your neighbors must be rather blase. The sight which you describe would have given me quite a start.

Lovely display, though. Festive, welcoming, and of course in impeccable taste.

Thank you! They are used to us going just a tad over the top. ;)

Very nice, Tatum. I gotta ask, though -- why the ramps? To accommodate a wheelchair user, maybe? Do a detect some sort of skid-resistant finish on them?

I had a feeling that was going to come up, and yes...my mother-in-law is in a motorized wheelchair. To make them skid resistant, we simply mixed sand with the same paint we were using to paint the outside of the house. Also, Hubby does a lot of loading and and unloading for the business, and they accommodate a dolly nicely, so they stay up all the time.

... I had a feeling that was going to come up, and yes...my mother-in-law is in a motorized wheelchair. To make them skid resistant, we simply mixed sand with the same paint we were using to paint the outside of the house. Also, Hubby does a lot of loading and and unloading for the business, and they accommodate a dolly nicely, so they stay up all the time.

Lots of folks discover that the accessibility features they install to accommodate people with disabilities often make the spaces more usable for just about everybody else as well. Levers are easier to use than door knobs (just ask someone juggling three or four sacks of groceries), and 99 out of 100 delivery people think curb ramps are a swell idea.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lot's of folks discover that the accessibility features they install to accommodate people with disabilities often make the spaces more usable for just about everybody else as well. Levers are easier to use than door knobs (just ask someone juggling three or four sacks of groceries), and 99 out of 100 delivery people think curb ramps are a swell idea.

Hi Tony

Wheel chair accessible homes are also refrigerator, freezer, gun safe, king sized bed, and hide-a-bed couch accessible. I also want those hospital sized doors on the rooms for the same reason. Carrying a hide-a-bed couch up stairs around a corner is not an experience I plan on reenacting, nor is taking the neighbor's new piano down the basement... Through part of a wall (accidentally).

Later

Tatum

Practically Family
Tonyb, agreed. I hate the ramp because I personally never need to use it and I trip over it all the time, but hey, it serves a purpose. We also put in handicapped toilets when we remodeled the place, not for mother-in-law but because they are more comfortable!

Thanks for the compliments, everyone :)

I love your home Tatum!! It's really beautiful and it looks so warm and welcoming.

Thank you!! That is exactly what I have been trying to accomplish. I'm glad it's getting there!

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just posted all of this to the Man Cave thread, but I thought I'd post it here as well. Some of these things I've shown before, but my place got itself in almost showable condition Sunday evening, so I thought I'd snap off a few pics to show it off.

IMAG0655.jpg

The book case I designed myself, with a little help from Gothic Cabinetry
IMAG0659.jpg

The art work on the wall includes a Belgian tapestry from the 1939 NY World's Fair, an ink drawing of my late wife by her teacher, Knox Martin, an ink and watercolor drawing that I picked up for $15 at a thrift shop in Brooklyn Heights, and a map of my neighborhood in the Bronx from about 1875.
IMAG0658.jpg

The dining room, with my 30's vintage English sideboard and the gorgeous mirror from the 40's with Diana the Huntress.
She's hawwttt. ;) In the distance out the window you can see the whole Manhattan skyline, including the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building and 30 Rock. Great view.
IMAG0654.jpg

And my kitchen, with the 30's feed sack cloth used for curtains.
IMAG0660.jpg

I left the Christmas lights up cause I just like the way they look. They're hooked to a dimmer, and they really look cool dimmed down to almost nothing.

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I just posted all of this to the Man Cave thread, but I thought I'd post it here as well. Some of these things I've shown before, but my place got itself in almost showable condition Sunday evening, so I thought I'd snap off a few pics to show it off.

IMAG0655.jpg

The book case I designed myself, with a little help from Gothic Cabinetry
IMAG0659.jpg

The art work on the wall includes a Belgian tapestry from the 1939 NY World's Fair, an ink drawing of my late wife by her teacher, Knox Martin, an ink and watercolor drawing that I picked up for $15 at a thrift shop in Brooklyn Heights, and a map of my neighborhood in the Bronx from about 1875.
IMAG0658.jpg

The dining room, with my 30's vintage English sideboard and the gorgeous mirror from the 40's with Diana the Huntress.
She's hawwttt. ;) In the distance out the window you can see the whole Manhattan skyline, including the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building and 30 Rock. Great view.
IMAG0654.jpg

And my kitchen, with the 30's feed sack cloth used for curtains.
IMAG0660.jpg

I left the Christmas lights up cause I just like the way they look. They're hooked to a dimmer, and they really look cool dimmed down to almost nothing.

My, my, this all looks so familiar - almost as if I've been there before ;)

I can personally attest that Dhermann1's abode is as wonderful as it looks in pictures.

I dig your pad, dhermann1. It's an interesting space and collection of stuff and, based on what I've inferred about you from your posts here, quite reflective of its keeper's personality.

I hadn't known you had lost your wife. So sorry to hear that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy