Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

MissMittens

One Too Many
Wow, the fan is amazing........perfect, thanks for the tip. I hadn't really considered mirrors, but I can see how it could completely change a room. I have a collection of 2500+ posters from the era, both Allied and Axis that I REALLY need to start going through to see which ones I want to keep and which ones to eBay or Etsy. Etsy is something I just wasn't aware of until I saw it mentioned in the lounge today when I was browsing. I never knew it existed!

This would be great in a frame http://www.allposters.com/gallery.a...I&f=t&FindID=0&P=1&PP=25&sortby=PD&c=c&page=1

Travel, liner posters are great too, I don't have any of them, but I guess if people are reproducing wartime posters, I could probably Google for some.

Thanks so much for your help, this place sure is swell :)

MissMittens

One Too Many
Wow, I've been here 1 day and have 31 posts already? :O
Think I ask too many questions, lol. It's good to find somewhere I'm not made to feel quite such a freak. I got into dealing WW2 militaria by accident, and picked up a few things along the way at sales and auctions that came with the lots I was bidding on. Over time, rather than throw them away (I'm guilty of throwing away many things that people would probably DIE for, knowing what I know now) I began to appreciate them and dotted them around my home. About the same time, I started working with various reenactment groups to get their impressions completely authentic, worked on a couple of movies as historical advisor, and once in a while I dressed up as a WW2 AAF Officer impression for selling at reenactment events and history camps.

My ex was not understanding at all and didn't see the value in any of it, and wanted me to "grow up" and stop "spending time with people who like to play dress-up", so I shut down about 5 yrs ago, but I still kept my personal collection of items, and the majority of my antiques and "toys", and still have them after the divorce. There also aren't a lot of people in Delaware into the same style or time period as me, although there are a lot of "middle-earthers" as I call them, you know, the ones who like medieval shenanigans. So if I'm asking too many questions here, I hope the loungers forgive me :D

rue

Trust me when I say the posts add up quickly. I'm sure everyone here is wishing I'd go away or find something to do lol No one has kicked me out yet though shhhhhhhh ;)
You'll find a great many people here who have had issues with spouses/significant others/relatives that have issue with this obsession, so don't feel alone.

MissMittens

One Too Many
You'll find a great many people here who have had issues with spouses/significant others/relatives that have issue with this obsession, so don't feel alone.

Definitely encouraging to know :)

My father was a WW2 vet (to say I was a "late baby" is totally inadequate - my father was WELL into his 50's when I was born in the late 70's) and I was selling off some of his things.......I'd always been interested in WW2 and the 40's in general for some unexplained reason. When i found out that there was a market for this at the time, and an international market at that, I put my knowledge to use and started making money with it. About the same time, totally by coincidence, there was a show on British TV right before I left England, called Goodnight Sweetheart......very original take on science fiction/time travel. The protagonist was a man who stumbled into WWII London through an unknown time portal, and started dealing in WW2 era pieces. The antagonist was his wife, who thought anyone who bought his stuff was nuts.

I guess I just ended up like my dad in all honesty. He used to listen to Glenn Miller once in a while.......but then he'd pull something totally unexpected, like one day when teaching me to drive in his car, we had the radio on and the Beatles came on. My dad started berating the Beatles and said that it wasn't "real music", and proceeded to reach into the door pocket, pull out a tape and stick it in the radio and the Rolling Stones came on. Somehow I got "40-fied" along the way, but it wasn't from my father, who rarely said anything about that time period or the war

Mark D

One of the Regulars
I thought I had scared you off with my begging Mark lol

I'm glad I didn't because your home is incredible! I kept saying 'Oh my God' with every picture. Every single detail is perfect and the fireplace.... holy smokes! Thank you for sharing your home and for the sweet compliments :) I can't wait to see more.

Thank you Rue. After seeing your home the compliment means even more. I'll get some more pictures up once I take 'em.

Merry Christmas.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I've seen some really beautiful homes and items on this thread - congratulations to all for your hard work!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's our place early on Christmas morning. By the next morning, there was about 8 inches of snow. It really was nice to have a "white Christmas" this year.

DSC05025.jpg

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Wow, beautiful. I love the way some American houses have a wraparound porch. We just don't get that in England, which is a shame is it would keep some of the rain off!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This week, one of the kids from work came over for a couple of hours to take photos for a school project -- she basically followed me around as I did housework and took pictures of things around the house that caught her eye. She's 18 years old and has never seen most of the things I take for granted as part of daily life -- so I thought her photos were quite interesting, both for the scenes she chose to take and for the way she processed them.

books.jpg

"Did you read all those books?"

vac.jpg

Vacuuming in the living room.

philco.jpg

The living room radio, with phono attachment at left.

phono.jpg

Playing a record -- something she'd never seen up close.

fridge.jpg

I drew the line at letting her photograph *inside* the fridge.

bread.jpg

Good detail of the kitchen wallpaper.

pantry.jpg

Doing the washing. She says she wants a machine just like mine because IT'S THE COOLEST THING EVAH.

table.jpg

The kitchen table/sewing room/bookkeeping area

202.jpg

She dialed a telephone for the first time in her life.

organ.jpg

Fortunately she did not record sound.

Last edited:

Effingham

A-List Customer
Lizzie, my cousin Jimmie has that same big radio in his living room. I hate him for it. :)

I'm finally about to start getting furniture for the new house, and my problem is that I *really* like four styles: Moroccan/Arab chic, Japanese tansu, Victorian (lots of carved wood and frouffy padding), and high medieval Gothic. These four do not really like working together too well, but any two can cohabit under the label "eclectic." ;)

Lizzie, the things you say this 18 year old has never seen/done just shocks me. I'm 20 and we had rotary phones in my house as a kid and my parents always listened to records!

rue

Oh wow Lizzie... I'm drooling over these pictures.
I understand why you would kill someone if they tried to take away your kitchen wallpaper. It's perfect. I want a washing machine like yours too and in fact have been looking for one. I do have the exact same adding machine though :)
I get asked if I have read all the books in our house too.
Off topic, but I love the detail on your shirt color.

Thank you so much for sharing more of your home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo