Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I am sure the electrician appreciated that :p

Actually, I have decided to do most of it my self, after messing with it a while today. They would not run wire to the Turret, they could not figure out how to do it! I am just letting them add a circuit, better to have some paperwork if I go to sell!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you very much!

Sounds like something that should be on a sampler. Lovely words.

It is from the Unitarian Hymn, A Prayer for this House. I want to woodburn the last lines for our new home, but I've always thought it was a beautiful blessing to make on a home (besides the traditional bread, wine, and salt):

May nothing evil cross this door
and may ill fortune never pry
about these walls may the roar and rain go by

By faith made strong these rafters will
withstand the battering of the storm.
Though all the world grow chill will keep us warm.

May peace walk softly through these rooms,
touching our lips with holy wine
until every casual corner blooms into a shrine

With laughter drown the raucous shout
and though the sheltering walls are thin
may they be strong to keep hate out and hold love in.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

This Pink Dogwood tree is in the front yard of my "vintage home." Since the days of my youth, it's been known as "Maw's dogwood tree." My grandmother ("Maw") got the tree at Sears in Asheville sometime in the late 1940s or very early 1950s. By the time I was old enough to remember, it was a decent sized tree. It's over 50 feet tall now.

Last year my little granddaughter, Mackenna, and I planted a new Pink Dogwood tree for her in the side yard. She calls it her "dog tree." Hopefully, 60 or so years from now she will be telling HER grandchildren about not only "Maw's dogwood tree", but her "dog tree" as well.

Being able to see, feel, and use things from several generations past is a great part of what makes living in a "vintage home" something extra special.

Growing up in the south, where the dogwoods grow wild, that is one of the largest I've seen. Beautiful tree and story about your granddaughter

I love to see the dogwoods in bloom this time of year. That is an impressive one, Big Man. I hope it's around for another 50 or 60 years.

My Japanese Cherry is loaded with blooms on this sunny Indiana day. Seems they popped out overnight after several days of rain. Some trees are leafed out and now everything is looking green again. Spring is here..!!

Last edited:

Big Man

Growing up in the south, where the dogwoods grow wild, that is one of the largest I've seen. Beautiful tree and story about your granddaughter

My Maw was a "tree planter" for sure. As far as I know, that Pink Dogwood is the only "store bought" tree she ever had. She would go to the woods and dig trees and shrubs and re-plant them around the house. There are a line of on the bank above the highway in front of the house that who knows their age. They all are about 10" or 12" across the base.

Big Man

My Japanese Cherry is loaded with blooms on this sunny Indiana day. Seems they popped out overnight after several days of rain. Some trees are leafed out and now everything is looking green again. Spring is here..!!

That's a beautiful tree. I always wanted a weeping cherry tree. Maybe that can be a project for next Spring.

Big Man

I love to see the dogwoods in bloom this time of year. That is an impressive one, Big Man. I hope it's around for another 50 or 60 years.

Thanks. I, too, hope it's around that long. I'm doing my part to take care of it and to keep the story of the tree alive as well.

That's a beautiful tree. I always wanted a weeping cherry tree. Maybe that can be a project for next Spring.

Big Man
There are several variations of Japanese Weeping Cherry. The more common kind,that I also have in my yard, blooms pink and isn't nearly as spread out or attractive as this kind. Wish that I could remember the exact name of this more unusual type.
HD

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
Wow, Stearman! I didn't even know they made door hinges so decorative. We're missing out in this modern age! Now I'm going to be bored by regular door hinges, haha.

On a general note, there's a neighborhood here in Baltimore, Roland Park, which was the first planned suburban community in the country (supposedly), and I always stand in awe of all the detail and thoughtfulness of those houses. A neighborhood that is nothing like suburban developments of today, no two houses are alike, and they have all these decorative features and quirks and just such character and charm, I love it. I have to try and not stand on the sidewalk and stare too long (because if someone is home, maybe it's a little weird, if someone is just standing outside your house staring at it intently for a while, haha).

And what kills me is when I see the insides of some of those homes, and they've been "renovated" to look like a plain jane, boring as paste, modern home. You know, all the walls knocked down for an "open layout," granite counter tops, yadda yadda.

Okay, sorry, rant over! I know at least some of you (if not most of you) can relate though!

Thanks. I, too, hope it's around that long. I'm doing my part to take care of it and to keep the story of the tree alive as well.

My relatives were more utilitarian when they planted trees in the yard. If it didn't give fruit they didn't plant it. :p However I can understand it much better when I pick the fruit from the trees for eating in one form or another.
My boys and I have replaced a few fruit trees that died over the years so that will be our legacy to the future. :D

Christmas idea for Ashley? ;)

I can think of a lotta ways that'd go wrong lol

It is from the Unitarian Hymn, A Prayer for this House. I want to woodburn the last lines for our new home, but I've always thought it was a beautiful blessing to make on a home (besides the traditional bread, wine, and salt):

May nothing evil cross this door
and may ill fortune never pry
about these walls may the roar and rain go by

By faith made strong these rafters will
withstand the battering of the storm.
Though all the world grow chill will keep us warm.

May peace walk softly through these rooms,
touching our lips with holy wine
until every casual corner blooms into a shrine

With laughter drown the raucous shout
and though the sheltering walls are thin
may they be strong to keep hate out and hold love in.

That's very pretty. That'd be a nice way to display it, too.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Man, been neck deep in rewiring the last couple of weeks! Finally took time to treat it like a full time job the last couple of days. Replaced almost all the old Knob & Tube with modern grounded wire. Just need to hang two more lights, and a ceiling fan, then run a couple of wires in the upstairs bath. Getting a wire to the turret turned out to be the hardest part! If I had thought about it while the roofers were there, I could have simply drilled two holes, one in the roof and the other, in the adjoining wall on the turret, then they would have added the flashing. Ran two new circuits, 15amp and 20anp. They had the entire upstairs running through the kitchen circuit. Trying to figure out how to add a recessed light in the small hallway to the bath. There are probably more wires in the after shot, but it is safe and up to code now. Best part, I literally saved a few thousand dollars doing it my self!
IMG_20150415_142232_364_zpspkja7mzc.jpg
IMG_20150415_142238_270_zpssotvc39r.jpg
IMG_20150415_142308_538_zps8gbpfkkk.jpg
IMG_20150423_073748_607_zpss3lspnxd.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic