Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Caledonia

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I have one very similar to that one--mine is trimmed in pleated brown grosgrain ribbon. I wear it perched on the back of my head and it has a very "Scarlett O'Hara" effect. You can also wear it as a tilt hat, pulled low over one eye. Because it doesn’t sit squarely on your head, the size isn't as much of an issue as you would think.

Hadn't thought of it as a percher. It's getting more alluring by the minute. How many hats do you have?! lol

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Vintage 1943 Hollywood Claire Trevor dress Pattern

It has a low buy it now at you know where. It's not an active auction. I just happened to run across it while looking around. I thought maybe one of you gals might want to scoop it up.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Definite Powder Room material - vintage bras or undergarment patterns

Specifically, I'm looking to buy or make a vintage-ish bra. I'm open to 40s and 50s styles, but I did have my heart set on a bullet-ish bra. Has anyone actually bought a bullet bra repro from anyone? I tried bulletbras.net , but I'm leary towards buying from that site because the e-mail adress doesn't work. There's another lady that sells them at vickisnylons, but I thought I'd come here first. I also found another website, but I wont disclose it here, besides the bras were much too expensive for my budget. Do any of you have experience buying this sort of thing?

I think it'd be truly interesting to find a pattern for this stuff, but I haven't had any success. I particularly care for repro patterns, like from evadress instead of the real deal, because originals scare me. I dont know how fragile they are and I know they must be expensive.

I have no idea how the 40s bras were constructed as opposed to the 50s bras, but I would love to be educated if anyone here knows. I really don't care for CONE bras (the REALLY pointy ones, like on bulletbras.net - they look much too fake to me, but maybe it's just the way the lady is standing with her chest up. I dont want too many stares, (nor do I want those fake nipples from vicki's), Or really expensive stuff (to me this is like 50+ dollars).

Anyone have any tips or advice on this?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I have a vintage bullet bra and a modern one (well 10 years old) from Victoria's Secret. They are terrifying to wear in public.

If you want to sew a bra, try www.kwiksew.com, pattern #2489, 1017 or 1018 should do the trick. They are a classic more rounded style. If you are handy with patterns, you might be able to adapt the pattern for a torpedo or cone shape if you so desire.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I've bought the bra that Vicki's Nylons sells--it's a pretty decent one. It's somewhat interesting to wear in public, though—I *usually* don't wear it under super tight sweaters ;)

I also have a number of 1940s-50s bras, in varying degrees of "pointiness." 1940s bras had a much more natural shape then the ones we have today (today's silhouette is very round, with an emphasis on cleavage.)

If you can find them, vintage bras are actually quite comfortable and fit better than modern bras (the straps are set in more—the same goes for the bras from Vicki's Nylons—and so they fit better on me.)

Here are some Bali ads to give you an idea:

1937-- http://www.balinet.com/gallery37.html
1937-- http://www.balinet.com/gallery37-2.html
1943-- http://www.balinet.com/gallery43.html
1948-- http://www.balinet.com/gallery48.html
1952-- http://www.balinet.com/gallery52.html

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Yep--that looks a whole lot like a late 1950s-60s bra!

I forgot to mention that vintage bras use limited amounts of elastic fabric. The cups and straps are usually made out of fabrics with limited give (satin, cotton), and there will be a small strip of elastic where the hooks and eyes are (and sometimes between the cups or a small strip on the straps.)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
Yep--that looks a whole lot like a late 1950s-60s bra!

I forgot to mention that vintage bras use limited amounts of elastic fabric. The cups and straps are usually made out of fabrics with limited give (satin, cotton), and there will be a small strip of elastic where the hooks and eyes are (and sometimes between the cups or a small strip on the straps.)

I have a bra that I thought was 60s but looks a lot like the 40s bras you are posting - and no elastic whatsoever. I should take pics! Maybe you gals could help date it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The best bra I ever owned is an old-store stock Playtex from the mid-sixties that looks very much like the one Cherry Red posted -- except I'm an A cup, and I see the current version doesn't go any lower than B. Terribly disappointing -- I'd love to get hold of a couple more just like this one.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have a friend who loves the bras Warners made in the 1960s. She finds them on eBay and buys them whenever she comes across one!

I also have two merry widows from the 1950s-60s--they are the best strapless undergarment I have ever come across.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Wow! I love the 40s ads! I think maybe I shall look for some like that. Come to think of it, I think those patterns I've found have darts just like that like from the 60s and 40s playsuits.

I have wondered how those bullet bras would look in public. No one's worn them for so long and the point is right out there.

Those kwiksew patterns don't look bad. I may look into getting that pattern. I'd probably save money when it comes to everyday wear. I only have a few bras as we speak, so I'm definitely in need.

The playtex one is nice too, I dont believe I've ever seen those.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty sure ragu sells bullet bras as well. Their other undergaments are great as well.
Cherry Red, I'm glad you posted that link! I was really close in purchasing a bullet bra! They're a little bit too much for me , doesn't have the natural 'curve' that should be there!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have another bra that follows that general 'point'--it's made by Warners, I believe, and is lightly padded. It also gives the right ‘vintage’ shape--let me find the link...

doesn't have the natural 'curve' that should be there!

Bullet bras are just an exaggeration of the natural shape; the bras that came before that style followed the shape that was already there. I think the rounded, padded shape of today’s bras is better designed for the unnatural "enhancements" that are so popular these days...

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
humblestumble said:
I have wondered how those bullet bras would look in public. No one's worn them for so long and the point is right out there.

I have an amazing strapless Jantzen longline bullet bra that I LOVE! It is the only strapless bra that's ever worked for me and I wish they came up on eBay more often in my size. Anyway, I wear it whenever I need something strapless. I haven't noticed any additional attention from it, but usually it's under a dress and not a sweater so it isn't really in your face.:eek:

Mine is black and I want a white one too. :(

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I have an amazing strapless Jantzen longline bullet bra that I LOVE! It is the only strapless bra that's ever worked for me and I wish they came up on eBay more often in my size. Anyway, I wear it whenever I need something strapless. I haven't noticed any additional attention from it, but usually it's under a dress and not a sweater so it isn't really in your face.:eek:

Mine is black and I want a white one too. :(

They have one in my size... I think. Do they go by the measurement underneath the bust or right over the fullest part?

I'm just not finding Ragu...I keep finding the sauce lol. Nevermind! I found that it's Rago, not ragu :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany