Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
yea, this one is too, but I can never figure out what size I am lol. [huh] I try the sizing things online, but no way I am a 40AA. I have a bra that I wear that's a 36 B and that seems to fit, but I just want to make sure I get the right size.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
humblestumble said:
yea, this one is too, but I can never figure out what size I am lol. [huh] I try the sizing things online, but no way I am a 40AA. I have a bra that I wear that's a 36 B and that seems to fit, but I just want to make sure I get the right size.

You should just go to Victoria's Secret and have them measure you for free. Don't buy anything though. ;)

colleency

One of the Regulars
I had a bullet-shaped bra that was supposed to be for better support and better health. I bought it at the county fair. I was teased so mercilessly about the shape of it that I got rid of it. I wish I still had it.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
You should just go to Victoria's Secret and have them measure you for free. Don't buy anything though. ;)
good idea. They are a great place to shop when they're having their sales!
Usually with bras, the cup size is always the same.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
But different bras will fit differently, depending on their cut. I have had great luck with my Rago garments and vintage bras--they always fit true to my size (remember though, with vintage, none-stretch bras, you need to make sure the band is the right size for you or it will not fit.) However, with modern bras, I have to try them on to be sure they will fit!

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
That's a really good idea about going to Victoria's Secret to get fitted! I might do that when I get out and about one of these days :D

I know what you mean, jitterbugdoll. I've been thinking of buying some patterns that I just found and I want to make sure they are my fit unless I can make them myself without the patterns. But I think the patterns go simply by bust size, so I think I will be fine. I really hope it's not hard to make them up myself. The patterns i'm looking at are expensive to me - 25, and 33 dollars! To me that's a little pricey. Although I have seen some patterns go for 60+

I even considered buying a rago bra, and still might in the future, but I definitely need to get my size right first.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Yea, thats the thing I've been using the measure myself, but it keeps coming out to about a 40 A. I must have a wide ribcage then. I do fit into B cups but I do admit the band is tight.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I've heard that there is some contention as to bra sizing charts. I've been told several things as well as to my bra size.

Here is one from biggerbras.com, it is interesting, because it has a different system for "fuller figure" gals, than for thin ones:

Add 5 to the back measurement (i.e. if "A is 29", the back size is 34)
After 33 inches, only add 3 inches to the back measurement (i.e. if "A is 35", the back size is 38)

Verify the back size:
Measure around the top of your breasts (the line above B in the figure above). This measurement should equal your back size calculation. For example if you measured 29 inches around your ribcage, the calculation is 29 + 5 = 34. The measurement above your breasts should equal 34.

Hints:

If the back size comes out to an uneven number, try the next size up.
If you are in-between sizes or you are having difficulty finding the correct fit, then if you go up in cup size come down in band size or if you go up in band size come down in cup size. For example, if you are wearing a 42D, but it is a little too snug around the band, then you would move up to a 44C.

I have also seen web sites that say your band size should be the same as your above chest measurement, but I am not sure that this would work at all (at least for me).

So, have you tried a 38B? It sounds like a 36B might be too small for you. You can go to a dept. store and try on differnt sizes and see if any fit better than what you are wearing now. Biggerbras might be on to something.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
One other bit of information: If you are having trouble finding your bra size, you can generally go up a cup size and down a band size.

For example, if you are a 36B, you can usually fit a 34C bra. So, if you are measuring a 40A, you can probably fit a 38B, as Tourbillion suggested.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
You know! That just might work! Thanks, I hadn't opened my eyes to that, I should try that. Thanks for all your help :)

in another note, you think it'd be hard to draft something like this?

I'm DYING to know how to sew that cute little flap of fabric on the the white and black playsuits and the red one further down.
p40lg2969.jpg

I actually have some modern patterns with a top in a similar style to this next greenish one, they are full tops though and dresses, but I think I could modify them to be bras.
dsp_s3250.jpg

csvp1659a.jpg

croptop.jpg

crophalter.jpg

Sorry for the flood of images, but I had tried to upload them all in one image, but they lost resolution that way and the detail was way to hard to see. So for the sewers here, you think these would be somewhat easy to replicate without patterns?

I've found a few modern patterns already that I can use for these. Ones Burda 8110 from burdamode.com, then there's a few others I have - cant think of the names off the top of my head.

Irena

One of the Regulars
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I've been wondering for ages: how do you figure your bra size when your band measurement is larger than your bust measurement? I have rather large shoulders thanks to being a swimmer, and I can NEVER find a bra that fits! I'd like to make my own but I've no clue as to how to figure my size!

Rosie

One Too Many
Irena said:
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I've been wondering for ages: how do you figure your bra size when your band measurement is larger than your bust measurement? I have rather large shoulders thanks to being a swimmer, and I can NEVER find a bra that fits! I'd like to make my own but I've no clue as to how to figure my size!

When measuring for your size, you measure under your breast, so that measurement would be smaller than your bust. It's impossible to get a band measurement that's larger than your bust beacuse your breast stick out from your chest.

measure.jpg

Irena

One of the Regulars
Rosie said:
When measuring for your size, you measure under your breast, so that measurement would be smaller than your bust. It's impossible to get a band measurement that's larger than your bust because your breast stick out from your chest.

measure.jpg

Ah, yes! But when I add 5" to my band size (as they tell you) or measure my chest above my bust (as some measuring charts use) it comes to more than my bust measurement.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
thats also my problem, but mine come out almost the same size.

Also, as an update : I am getting help from a seasoned pattern drafter to make some bras in the images I put up. I figured for most of them I can use patterns I have lying around for dresses and tops and just make them into bras.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany