Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Your Patina

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
He's a good co-pilot. Er, wait I guess I'm the co-pilot. What he needs is a slow down button. Growing up too fast!

It was yesterday that I had my little guy on my shoulders - tonight I got a text from him as he rides a train from Delhi to Dehradun. How did that happen?

majormajor

One Too Many
Here's my current A2. An Aero 42-15142 I picked up nearly new last year. Broken in nicely now. Fits a little wide on the body, so it will be going soon, to make way for a slimmer 38-117:D

aero42.jpg

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Didn't get my first serious jacket until later in my 30's so patina is virtually non-existent. I will say however, if any of mine got to the point where it is rubbed raw like some of the examples here, I do believe that I would like to get it refinished to keep them kept up. I am not as much of a fan of my jacket looking like I'm 80 years old or wearing someone else's jacket without restoring it. Knowing it is vintage is good enough for me, I like the well kept look, which is part of the fun in ownership, taking care of things. YMMV

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I had a crappy Burton's leather jacket that belonged to my brother. Terrible quality, but had an amazing patina that was achieved at a single stroke when he was blown off his mountain bike during a storm - don't ask, I have no idea how it happened either - and send bouncing across unfinished Tarmac, which was the equivalent of running a belt sander of it (he was okay, but the jacket looked a hundred times better for it). It eventually vanished/was stolen during a drunken evening in the student union.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Didn't get my first serious jacket until later in my 30's so patina is virtually non-existent. I will say however, if any of mine got to the point where it is rubbed raw like some of the examples here, I do believe that I would like to get it refinished to keep them kept up. I am not as much of a fan of my jacket looking like I'm 80 years old or wearing someone else's jacket without restoring it. Knowing it is vintage is good enough for me, I like the well kept look, which is part of the fun in ownership, taking care of things. YMMV

I look forward to the "show your brand new looking jacket" thread :lol:

To each his own

You must be one of those "if my new sneakers get a smudge, I get new ones" guys? I don't think a jacket aging and looking good are equal to "not taking care of it". YMMV lol

devilish

A-List Customer
Here's my current A2. An Aero 42-15142 I picked up nearly new last year. Broken in nicely now. Fits a little wide on the body, so it will be going soon, to make way for a slimmer 38-117:D

aero42.jpg

MM, I'm too new on here to be able to send a PM so I'm afraid I'll have to ask in the thread (which I apologize for). What size is this Aero and if you decide to sell could you let me know (if the size is right) Thanks.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
You must be one of those "if my new sneakers get a smudge, I get new ones" guys? I don't think a jacket aging and looking good are equal to "not taking care of it". YMMV lol
Maybe, if I can afford it. But I was referring to those jackets so worn as to be unserviceable. Water repellency and UV resistance/pollution resistance diminishes when the finish is degraded leading to rapid degrade. If it is to put away for display then leave the wabi, but if to continue use or pass down for continued use, I would prefer to repair and restore some finish to maintain the jackets function. I guess one can leave some wabi in it to note its provenance, but I do not subscribe to the beat it up as best you can to appear rough and tough. I have plenty of ravaged combat boots to show for that and appreciate a clean, well maintained piece of gear if I can afford it. As far as a beat up jacket.. is there some war going one to elicit a worn jacket, which in turn would represent some significant life experiences out here in lala land??? SoCal, Pasadena, where you are at, where I am at, are the Martians invading?

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
MM, I'm too new on here to be able to send a PM so I'm afraid I'll have to ask in the thread (which I apologize for). What size is this Aero and if you decide to sell could you let me know (if the size is right) Thanks.

Hi Devilish. It's sized as a 44, but is perhaps a tad smaller. I'll give you a heads up when I put it for sale:D

Maybe, if I can afford it. But I was referring to those jackets so worn as to be unserviceable. Water repellency and UV resistance/pollution resistance diminishes when the finish is degraded leading to rapid degrade. If it is to put away for display then leave the wabi, but if to continue use or pass down for continued use, I would prefer to repair and restore some finish to maintain the jackets function. I guess one can leave some wabi in it to note its provenance, but I do not subscribe to the beat it up as best you can to appear rough and tough. I have plenty of ravaged combat boots to show for that and appreciate a clean, well maintained piece of gear if I can afford it. As far as a beat up jacket.. is there some war going one to elicit a worn jacket, which in turn would represent some significant life experiences out here in lala land??? SoCal, Pasadena, where you are at, where I am at, are the Martians invading?
Well, I ran this through every g00gle translator I could find and I still have no clue what you said there lol

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Well, I ran this through every g00gle translator I could find and I still have no clue what you said there lol

Well, if you submitted an "I.D. Ten T" form to Google, it may have came back with something like this:

>Thanks for your inquiry, the error code you encountered is common when users attempt to translate plain English into plain English. Like most other translation utilities, Bablefish is not programmed to meet such a request, suggest referring to the Webster's dictionary in conjunction with MLA manual or sign up at your local adult educational facility for further translation.<

Oh, by the way, please share with us your 1080p photos of your elbow wear- desk burn from intense armchair usage LOL :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ