Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Your Patina

Rudie

Call Me a Cab

wallis

Familiar Face
patina.jpg

Me and the late great Roxy.

Nice looking jacket! What is it, any more pics?

I share your love of the bully breeds - most loving (and goofiest) dogs in the world!

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
There is atleast 25 years of patina on this jacket:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The most extreme area is around the collar. I don´t think this jacket was ever black, but insted it was made to look like it had been black from scratch. So the collar was probably about the same color as the rest of the jacket when new.

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
That jacket looks like it was laying in the Sahara desert for about 20 of those 25 years. That is some thirsty looking leather.

Griff...........any idea what those added pieces of leather (loops or keepers?) are for?

About the collar.....maybe the original owner had long hair and a hygiene problem.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
You mean on the arm? I think its just for keeping a pen.

It was actually my fathers, hehe and he was very clean. But offcourse all people sweat and has fat and oil in the skin, and since this was about his only jacket - it absorbed some over the years.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Geez Griff...........sorry man. I guess I let my keystrokes get ahead of my brain. Good thing I said "maybe".

Of course you're right about the sweat and oil. They can raise havoc with material.

Well excuse me but I'm going to go kick myself in the azz a few times.

Regards,
coffee

too much coffee

Practically Family
Yeah, we could liquify the body fat and bottle it, slap on a Pecard's label and lend-lease it to the Brits with a proper, that's proper mind you, VAT.
Chances are they would never know the difference. After all, that's what those two jacket makers did, charge the U.S. 20% for body fat....."those Yanks will never know the difference."

Last edited:
Yeah, we could liquify the body fat and bottle it, slap on a Pecard's label and lend-lease it to the Brits with a proper, that's proper mind you, VAT. Chances are they would never know the difference. After all, that's what those two jacket makers did, charge the U.S. 20% for body fat....."those Yanks will never know the difference."
lol x10

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Ah, Griff, it's the old Chevignon flight jacket in striated lamb; an eighties classic. In the same lambskin (and a similar pattern) they also made the so-called G2 or "Raider" which was worn by Macgyver in the eponymous series. They were designed to distress and fade so maybe that patina had an unfair advantage. Thousands of these things were made to cash in on the adventurer look following the first Indiana Jones film and subsequent fad.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
too much cofee: There is no harm done, relax. One positive thing about it tho, is that it still smells of dad. :)

I want to say again that yes the jacket was predistressed. It was never black, but made to look like it "had" been black, so yes it was mostly brown all over even from the beginning. It also kinda tells alot about my dad. The jacket wasnt expensive, or even very good looking but he still wore it, and only that jacket for that weather as far back as I can remember. So it is distressed natural aswell. There is no more pocket insides, i remember even when I was kinda young he used to look around inside the waistband of the jacket to find change :lol: He was born in Scottland tho so I guess it was in the genes :D The only thing I regret is that I dint make enough money fast enough to buy him an Aero, but thats how it goes sometimes.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Griff - that Chevignon jacket - exactly the same - was the first leather jacket I ever owned. Sweet memories.
That was before the real world of A2s and Irvins came rolling in, with all the rights and wrongs. Armlengths and collarstands. Cherry knittings and patternes of vent holes under the arms.....We were just happy to own a "avaitor jacket". :) Wonder if mine would have looked the same, if I had kept it. Probably would. It got a lot of use and misuse back then.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Griff - that Chevignon jacket - exactly the same - was the first leather jacket I ever owned. Sweet memories.
That was before the real world of A2s and Irvins came rolling in, with all the rights and wrongs. Armlengths and collarstands. Cherry knittings and patternes of vent holes under the arms.....We were just happy to own a "avaitor jacket". :) Wonder if mine would have looked the same, if I had kept it. Probably would. It got a lot of use and misuse back then.

Sweet. Do you remember how much more black there were on the jacket from the start?
Yeah it was a great time when a leather jacket was just a leather jacket. :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Sweet. Do you remember how much more black there were on the jacket from the start?
Yeah it was a great time when a leather jacket was just a leather jacket. :)

They were predistressed. A faded colour, with the lighter orange-like colour showing through in streaks. The jacket was meant to look old when new. I'm pretty sure they were all dark brown with black knits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner