Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Your Patina

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ill start. This is my "new" 40s-50s Golden Bear horsehide halfbelt. This jacket easily has the most character of any other VLJ I've handled (to date!).

d6bc8d15.jpg

4fb9c241.jpg

How bout y'all? Dont feel limited to leather (eg well honeycombed denim, or sun faded nylon) ;)

Last edited:

wild_balls

Practically Family
Hi, awesome jacket you have there Bretron!! You have seen this before! Early rmnz Real Mccoy Dubow Band of brothers A2 jacket! Previous owners did a great job breaking it in!!! And of course the latest Cafe racer find!
IMG_4371.jpg
IMG_4372.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

Cheers Joakim

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
It's funny which jackets show patina and which jackets, well, just simply don't...

When Rin Tanaka's book "My Freedam! 3" came out, a number of jackets that we had sold to collectors were in it, jackets that I had sold to these collectors for $$$$$ for performance parts on my race bikes and for $$$$$ for track time. Below is one of the jackets that we sold to Michael Manpearl of Pat & Mike. It's probably the oldest Bates that any of us who have seen tons and tons of Bates have ever touched. It's horsehide, which doesn't make much sense, as Bates, to my knowledge, never used horsehide. Unlined, the jacket was a beautiful piece of elegant simplicity (this would, however, make it a more difficult sell to a general retail audience!). Even though it had been worn quite a bit, the horsehide was not tanned in a way that was subject to "browning" and therefore, not subject to the heavy "patina-ing," for lack of a better word, of many vintage pieces from the '30s, '40s, '50s, and '60s. However, the piece is a beauty and I wanted to submit it here to show how cool a jacket like this becomes!

I guess if I didn't have a lust for the track I'd hang onto these jackets, but I absolutely love the track! This jacket, as have so many others, had to leave Insurrection Apparel & Boots so I could live my life. However, it was truly a thing of beauty!

HorsehideBates1.jpg

Last edited:
NIce jackets guys! I only have one with enough wear to get in here, so maybe I'll shoot some pics. That's the downside to owning more than one in a warm climate. Not enough time off the hangers...

Cole

One of the Regulars
This Vanson modified modell B horse hide jacket was my first real leather jacket. I got it September 2001 and wore it 6 years on a every day basis, summer and winter, heat, rain and snow. No other jacket was needed or even touched. It is still my favorite jacket and I wear it a lot. :)

x1patina.jpg

wallis

Familiar Face
40s horsehide jacket by a company called "Daniel Boone". Photos aren't great, I can take more if anyone is interested. Leather is in awesome shape - I still wear it on my bike.

A59mG3qOvjer.jpg

T3Z2Xcb1EVYi.jpg

bretron

Call Me a Cab
@wallis, that's what I'm talkin bout! These Daniel Boones are nice jackets; but obviously look even better with age

Nice jackets guys! Beyond patina! And that's good - esp for biker jackets. I doubt I'll live long enough to get mine looking like that lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider