Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shrinking aero anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schitzo, man, can we see you wearing the jacket? Not to prove anything, just wondering what's it like on you now that it's shorter. Thought the fit was absolutely perfect when you got it so I wanna see what's the extent of the damage.

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
If you use a hanger that's too sloped it'll create creases like that. Like wdw, I tend to drape them over the seat of a chair at home, or fling them over a pile of papers behind my desk in the office.

Very interesting but my leather jackets never see a hanger, they are laid flat. I was referring to neck line creases in my recent Aero Premier 1930's half belt order. I assume you read 'Hide n Seeks' reply in the thread on leather choice:

"Yes we did take 5 attempts to get Coopersons jacket correct , we were trying out a new collar pattern and there were a couple of teething problems".

Surely you you don't want me to start posting pics of the faults on these jackets now, as far as I'm concerned it's been resolved.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It was merely a suggestion, Cooperson. I abandoned coat hangers for my heavy jackets long ago because of the creasing.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Schitzo, man, can we see you wearing the jacket? Not to prove anything, just wondering what's it like on you now that it's shorter. Thought the fit was absolutely perfect when you got it so I wanna see what's the extent of the damage.

+ 1

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks for the video. I too hope it's not unwearable for you, because it does look great. Parts of it remind me of my Teamster. Yours is more evenly distributed, but mine has bits that seem to be made of what they sometimes label differently, "jerky" or something like that. It's thinner than the other parts, more pliable, and grainier. One of my sleeves is like that, the other much less grain and creasing, almost like someone did the HWT to one sleeve only. I've done a lot of leather working, so I know there's a lot of variance even in one hide, but mine was different enough for me to ask if I'd gotten mid-wight or lighter. I was assured I had not. Yours is definitely what I like a black jacket to look like, sorry for your troubles. Frank

schitzo

Suspended
@Monitor, yes it is my idea to post pics of me wearing it now. But I've just had an almighty domestic and can't say for sure when I'll have a cooperative camera person again. ASAP though

Frankly, in light of the evidence made available this hanger discussion is pure comedy. Mine hasn't even been kept on a hanger! Regarding the hanger you see in the photo, that's just to show you what it looks like on one, and for the record, yes that hanger does stretch all the way to the end of the shoulders (it's only a 38) yet it still hangs like that.

When I made the video and looked at the pics closely - old and new - the upshot for me is I'm embarrassed, and I'll admit it. I've been through enough jackets that I should be able to detect this kind of thing from the outset, and it was undoubtedly there from the beginning as the pic of it new shows if you will look carefully. I suppose I just wasn't looking for that at the time, and I suppose with hindsight, I probably didn't look because somewhere in my mind I'd assumed that for the sums involved this type of thing could not possibly enter the equation.

Yet apparently most of you enthusiasts aren't even noticing the TWO HUGE CREASES that run down the front from the collar to the armpit, even after they've been highlighted. Or are you all just too polite to comment?

Several ludicrous questions spring to mind.
1) Does anyone suppose those were a part of the design by Hercules?
2) Or that they're an aero advancement on the original?
3) Do you think a leather jacket - any leather jacket - is supposed to have those?
4) Have I woken up in a parallel universe where jacket anoraks are blinded by brand loyalty to the point that they actually cannot see what's right under their noses? Even when somebody points it out to them in broad daylight?

It all reminds me a bit of this actually: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type1620.html
If you can be bothered then I think in this context you might find it a funny read

Bottom line, if you don't know what you're paying for and are happy that way, carry on! Me, I'm learning, although admittedly at a slower rate than ideal

@ Sloane, how lovely to see you here again, You say you understand him, but I'm not convinced you do. I want to help you out here buddy, so here's 3 for starters:
1) http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2425
2) http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2435
3) http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2174

THIS is the type of thing he's talking about. Much easier to see on a cafe racer style, but not limited to this model. If you need more pictorial help with your comprehension, let me know

HTH

I'd look at your hangers, Cooperson.

Then perhaps you should look at the hangers for those 3, and report back

Maybe we're on to something.

IMHO, definitely you're not. Creases inflicted by you, the owner, and creases that are there because of the way the thing's been made are separate entities

FarWalker

New in Town
Interesting video. Those diagonal folds at the shoulders often appear when the jacket is not broad enough in the shoulders. They appeared right away with a fit jacket I got from Thurston Bros, so Wade had me go up one size and they disappeared. You often see them in other clothing too, even T-shirts.

As for the creases, they look like normal break in to me. I guess the lesson is that unless you are deliberately going for a very short jacket look, best to err on the slightly longer side to allow for such issues.

That said, it is a great looking jacket, and I am am surprised by how shiny the black FQHH is. It looks much more so than the brown.

schitzo

Suspended
Interesting video. Those diagonal folds at the shoulders often appear when the jacket is not broad enough in the shoulders. They appeared right away with a fit jacket I got from Thurston Bros, so Wade had me go up one size and they disappeared. You often see them in other clothing too, even T-shirts.

As for the creases, they look like normal break in to me. I guess the lesson is that unless you are deliberately going for a very short jacket look, best to err on the slightly longer side to allow for such issues.

That said, it is a great looking jacket, and I am am surprised by how shiny the black FQHH is. It looks much more so than the brown.

Hey Farwalker, I was wondering about yours. It's also a size 38, is that right? But yours is without those diagonal creases on the front you say? Mine started out like that and then in time I guess they became more and more pronounced.

Shoulders on mine btw are the 17.5" they're supposed to be.

Makes me wonder if what we're seeing is a pattern issue, or machinist error or possibly both. The creases seem to align with the curves of the sleeves when you lay it out flat. Whatever it is, I'm also not sure how this one could have made it past QC without being flagged. Even if I didn't, they must know to look out for this type of thing.

Any chance you could post a picture of the front of yours laid out flat via something other than photobucket?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm gonna have to say that the creases in the sleeves and the back look like normal breaking in creases to me. I can't wait for my new A-2's to get creases like that in the sleeves.

I don't understand those diagonal creases on the front, across the shoulders though. I don't know anything about tailoring. Is that normal?

It might have something to do with the jacket shoulder seam angle being different than the wearer's shoulder angle. If they fade when worn, then maybe the jacket has shaped to the person. I have a vintage jacket where the shoulders are more angled (sloped) and it hangs on a hanger just fine. My new jacket has a more horizontal shoulder profile and I see those "folds" when it's hung up. Just like Sloan mentioned- it could be an angle issue.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Aero HB Deluxe 1.jpg

Aero Halfbelt Deluxe - 10 yrs old - brown FQHH

They're a strange one on me .... if I lay any of my jackets flat ( Aero, Lost Worlds, Eastman , Alexanders or Schott ) I don't get anything like these diagonal creases .... I can't even replicate them without bending the jacket all out of shape.

In trying to replicate them it looks like either a collar or shoulder seam issue ( I'd guess pattern or the way it's been cut) ....... if I was a betting man I'd suggest collar ....... either that or Schitzo has deltoids and shoulder muscles like Garth on his skinny 38" frame :)

Either way ... none of mine show this ( and this isn't Aero bashing ... it's just a fact ) ... have a look at my pics and you'll see.

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
I don't understand those diagonal creases on the front, across the shoulders though. I don't know anything about tailoring. Is that normal?

Don't expect an answer to that perfectly reasonable question any time soon Big J, everybody here is so guarded. But I'll give you mine. No, they're not. And I don't think you can find a tailor who'll tell you they are

Why bother, if the creases are gone when wearing

Looking at an old pic taken with me wearing it unzipped I'm not so sure about that anymore. Once I can shoot some current pics with it on I guess we'll have a better idea. Camera woman still isn't talking to me yet. We need to wait for this part of the month to pass

either that or Schitzo has deltoids and shoulder muscles like Garth on his skinny 38" frame :)

Granted I am a natural athlete, of sorts. But to be honest Plum I don even know what deltoids are.. so fairly sure I don have this problem

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Those creases, especially in the video, are rather extreme. I'd wonder what they were about too. But there might be some truth to them being a product of the design. Here's another Kelso, and if you look closely, you can see a similar crease on the left.
image.jpg
And here's an original (both a Hercules, though not the same model as yours):
image.jpg
I think the good news is like you mentioned, they go away when wearing. And watching your video, I don't think they're responsible for the length loss. But they are pretty unsightly.

Last edited:

trapp

Practically Family
The creases in the front of schitzo's jacket are more extreme that the one shown by Sloane and they do look strange.

Speaking for myself, it has nothing to do with being guarded, it just didn't seem worth worrying about since you mentioned they aren't visible when you wear the jacket and since the real issue seemed to be the shortening of the overall length due to the rear creasing. If they disappear when you wear it, I assumed they would eventually just fall out.

If those front creases are visible when you wear it, that's different. Not only because of the current visual awkwardness but also in terms of how the front of the jacket might patina and age a few years down the road as the high points fade.

schitzo

Suspended
Another Hercules with diagonal creases: http://instagram.com/p/uvbzhGnPKC/

It says that's a prototype. Does the finalised version have them I wonder? And even if it does, what would that prove exactly, given that that is a repro from another maker. Perhaps more pertinent questions would be:

1) Does the original have those creases?
2) Does every aero version of this jacket have them or not?

If the answer to 2 is 'No' then it would appear that farwalker has been diddled out of his creases! Although I personally wouldn't have minded this kind of a diddling myself

To repeat what I said earlier, now I'm not sure if they do show or don't when I wear it. Truth be told I actually haven't worn this jacket that much. It saw some action last winter and last spring, but I would guess no more than a month's worth of wear in total. I'll get some pics up for you soon chaps..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran