Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shrinking aero anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pak

One of the Regulars
I don't know if I'm following this very well. Are you thinking the creases are an additional flaw with your jacket? I'd be inclined, since you live in London and this appears to be of utmost importance, to get on up to Aero and show the jacket to him in person. Then Ken, the craftsman and you can hash this out. I'm thinking you will get little long term satisfaction from this thread.

schitzo

Suspended
I don't know if I'm following this very well..

Not really, but thanks for your interest and concern. I'm in Beijing at the moment. But even if I was in London that'd still be one heck of a drive. I know full well cos I did it once and the M6 almost broke my soul

Back to the creases issue, there are 4 of these jackets on the aero sales page. With the jacket zipped and on a mannequin of course it's much harder to see them, but my gut is telling me I think it more likely those 4 do have them than not. All of which would mean that if Farwalker's doesn't then that is a bit odd. Sloane, since you're there can you let us know whether or not the creases are a deliberate feature of the aero pattern?

Last edited:
Schitzo, if you haven't mentioned it in the vid, I never would've noticed the front diagonal creases on neither of our jackets, but I just checked my jacket and yep, they're there alright, no doubt. Here's a fresh photo I just snapped. Can't say what's causing the creases but same as you, they're gone when I'm wearing the jacket so I don't mind really.

DSCN0855_zps6ce81fe7.jpg

This jacket is brand new, haven't even began breaking it in properly so I honestly don't think there's anything I could've done that would cause this to happen, so I'm inclined to believe it's a perfectly normal thing. Maybe it's the thickness of the hide? Would explain why it's a common sight on other jackets too, not just Aero:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diamond-...140?pt=Men_s_Clothing&clk_rvr_id=739703116986
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-BUCO-...-Deal-/141476846154?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Schott-m...656?pt=Men_s_Clothing&clk_rvr_id=739678472985

...and plenty more.

Well, I don't know what to make of it but I don't care either way as they're gone when I'm wearing it, just wanna let you know you ain't alone there.

Last edited:
I just did an experiment. It has everything to do with the angle of the shoulders. How the cut of the jacket sits on your body.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think you should get in touch with Aero, Schiz, and tell them that their patterns are off. I'm sure they'll amend them accordingly! lol

It's not that they're "off" so much as modern jacket makers seem to be designing for broader shoulders than vintage jacket makers did. Chalk it up to modern body types, not poor jacket making.
In vintage jackets, a 38 often had 17"- 17.5" shoulders. Nowadays they seem more in the 18-18.5" range and the seams are more horizontal (not by much, but there is a difference).
Possibly the solution is- as FarWalker said- just to let the pattern be in the shoulder width, and only dictate chest, sleeve, and body length when ordering. Slimming shoulders could reveal the issue.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Could it not be, then, given the design of an average dummy - say it's a 38 chest, though I have no idea - that if you stick a bigger jacket on it then you'll get creases? Same thing if you stick a jacket with a smaller neck hole than the dummy's neck size. [huh]

I can show photos later, but a company making many jackets off the same pattern will not likely be able to adjust shoulder slope. It just isn't cost effective.

Girl on a Motorcycle

New in Town
BTW I do find you all really informative here.
I've been collecting vintage leather jackets of a different kind (Gaultier, Quant) and the threads on cleaning, fumigating (smoke) and - as a last resort - how to rinse carefully in the washing machine have been fantastic and helpful. :)
I'm edging up to a caferacer, although you will appreciate that it's a tricky fit when you are a girl (on a motorcycle)

schitzo

Suspended
I think you should get in touch with Aero, Schiz, and tell them that their patterns are off. I'm sure they'll amend them accordingly! lol

Yeah, that's funny Slon. But surely I don't need to, not when I have you here to do it for me.
Another funny thing is, I've never seen this on a good wear. No doubt JC knows exactly what those are. But obviously he's a gentleman and he's not about to come on here and comment. Same as he wouldn't pop up on a poll to vote for his own jacket.
One more thing that I think is even funnier - that's just occurred to me - is keeping you here all weekend. Now that is L O L funny

This is the funniest thread on the Fedora Lounge, ever. I cried laughing when the videos appeared.

I'm crying a different kind of tears.
But if you actually are a girl GOAM then you'll have to excuse the personal questions and deluge of PMs. Most of us here don't often get the chance to speak to girls. Hope you can understand

Last edited:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Could it be, just asking, you are a bit too concerned about the "perfect fit"? It's a leather-jacket, after all, not a posh evening wardrobe.;) Get on, get a life, make peace with the camera lady and wear the jacket with confidence and pride and don't think about it all the time. In short, be a man. :D
BTW, I have the same creases on my LHB. :eeek: And? ;)

schitzo

Suspended
Could it be, just asking, you are a bit too concerned about the "perfect fit"? It's a leather-jacket, after all, not a posh evening wardrobe.;) Get on, get a life, make peace with the camera lady and wear the jacket with confidence and pride and don't think about it all the time. In short, be a man. :D
BTW, I have the same creases on my LHB. :eeek: And? ;)

Mr Tomasso, I know that sometimes it could be that, but this time I don't think it is that. Though I appreciate your sentiments here. It just feels like the thing got smaller all over. Now, whilst I do realise that plenty of 'real' German men enjoy their leather skin tight (and I'm not judging), you must realise too that I am not one of that number!;)

Do you mean you have the diagonals on the front of yours or the piddlers on the back? Perhaps you might bestow unto us a photograph?

As for making peace, I am not the one who cannot control herself. But if she doesn't apologize soon I will find another way to get some current fit pics shot

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
One more thing that I think is even funnier - that's just occurred to me - is keeping you here all weekend. Now that is L O L funny

Don't worry, Schiz, you're a side show. I knock out screeds of copy in minutes, a pithy two line post is hardly going to eat up my time. Anyway, time for brunch. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran