Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrinking Linen/Cotton

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
I have this unlined jacket that's a linen/cotton blend that's around a size 40 and it doesn't fit me well. I'd be around a size 38. It says dry clean only.

Is there any chance I could safely shrink this down via washing and drying? Or would it just be impossible to do right?

I picked it up cheap knowing it'd probably not fit. So gambling on it again doesn't really worry me.

Edward

Bartender
I wouldn't risk it.... If it's a nice jacket, having it altered would be a better approach - shouldn't be too big a job if it's a less formal, unlined affair. For what it's worth, I highly doubt that you would have any chance of shrinking it uniformly one size - more likely to end up with the body sort of the right and the sleeves about six inches too short!

Rachael

A-List Customer
there is no way to truly know where or how much a fabric will shrink short of the old trial and error. Remember that shrinking it could also change the texture of the fabric as a whole, and you may never get the wrinkles out. I would also advise to wear it as is, or perhaps get it taken in.

Where is it too large on you?

Sunny

One Too Many
Different materials shrink different amounts, too. You also don't know what interlining is hidden in cuffs, placket, or collar, that could result in permanent puckers or twists. I think your best bet is to have it altered. The only success I've had shrinking things is with tees that are slightly too big.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I concur with all the previous responses. A very thorough assessment. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff