Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shuron Glasses

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
MisterGrey said:
Well, they're currently away having lenses put in now. We'll see what turns up.

I actually opted for the plastic lenses, both for cost issues, and because it's what I've always worn. I tried polycarbonate once, and it didn't go over so well; despite the claims of scratch resistance and durability, they got more scratched and pitted than any other pair of lenses I've ever had. They even developed these tiny, bubble-like blemises that wouldn't come out.

The first optometrist I took the Ronsirs to, who's been in the business for over forty years, said they were a very durable frame and that they' stand up well once lenses were in them. But he wouldn't even put plastic lenses in them; he outright refused. He claimed that plastic lenses were dangerous in large frames, which would probably come as a surprise to my optometrist of nearly six years back in Oklahoma, who himself had been in the business for nearly forty years and who readily put plastic lenses into the series of ill-advised aviator frames I wore throughout high school. I tried pointing out to him that my current pair of script sunglasses are plastic (also an aviator frame), and that I've worn them nearly two years through some seriously gnarly circumstances, and they've not only not cut my eyes out but are currently scratch-and-bend free. His response was that it was against FDA regulations to do such a thing (?).

Anywho!

Took them to another optometrist I've used in the past-- a little further away (the first was right down the street), but there was no issue. Any luck, they'll be back tomorrow.

I'm hoping to get mine back any day now... my insurance is pitiful and my frames have been at my insurance company's lab for almost 2 weeks now. OOF. I'm tired of these headaches and eye strains... and not looking nifty!

GWD

One Too Many
Just won these babies!

Just won these Ronsirs on the bay

bc9c_1.JPG

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
:eusa_clap
Those are very nice and, according to the auction, quite versatile.

"The earpieces are 4 3/8 inches long, but flex to accommodate the ears of any G-man or geek that might want to wear them.":p

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I wear vintage Shurons all the time. My computer glasses are the exact same ones you have. Be aware that you will need a little plastic sleeve on the earpieces because the metal will rub your ears till they get very uncomfortable.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
*Sigh* I love the glasses, but just can't pull them off. Nor can I really pull off many vintage frames; I have a very round face, and the addition of round frames just looks plain crummy.

ETA: Not to mention the fact that, despite offering a variety of sizes which are not authentic vintage, Shuron still doesn't offer spring hinges. They're almost a must for me; I'd be very hard pressed to buy a pair not outfitted with them.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I cannot vouch for the current product, but the frames made by Shur-on in the 'twenties and 'thirties are of very good quality. I have a number of Shur-on frames. The eyeglasses that they made are the most comfortable and secure of the pince-nez.

Here is a photo of a pair of 12K gold Shur-on frames with Zylo covering which I use as my principal glasses.

DSCF0001a.jpg

Please forgive my state of deshabille, but i have been abed with a serious case of Pneumonia for the past couple of weeks, and am still rather lacking in starch.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
vitanola said:
I cannot vouch for the current product, but the frames made by Shur-on in the 'twenties and 'thirties are of very good quality. I have a number of Shur-on frames. The eyeglasses that they made are the most comfortable and secure of the pince-nez.

Here is a photo of a pair of 12K gold Shur-on frames with Zylo covering which I use as my principal glasses.

DSCF0001a.jpg

Please forgive my state of deshabille, but i have been abed with a serious case of Pneumonia for the past couple of weeks, and am still rather lacking in starch.

fantastic hope you recover early!

Retro Vintage Black Chrome Nerd Glasses Geek Dork G-Man ...which one are we lovers of such frames?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Browlines were invented by Shuron in 1947 and gained popularity in the early 1950s. By the end of the decade, half of all eyeglasses sold in the US were Shuron Browlines (meaning that every other style on the market had to compete for that remaining 50%; in other words; chances were, by 1960, if you wore eyeglasses, it was a safe bet they were browlines).

Archéologue

Gotta love those old glasses.
Fifty years ago as a boy I lived by Shur-On optical. They used to dump
the spent rouge from polishing glass into a creek. It ran red like blood.
You can imagine the stories us kids made up about the bloody creek!

univibe88

One Too Many
So my exam didn't go too well. It turns out I need glasses. But the good news is I can get some Ronsirs! They are hard to find in a local optical store, but their customer service is fantastic. I contacted them directly and they are sending me a few sizes to try on. They will sell you frame directly or work with your local optometrist if he can order them.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
GWD: so do you consider yourself a Geek, a Dork, a G-Man, or none of the above? lol Good-lookin' specs, I think.

I'm still looking ahead to my first pair of helpers for my 48 year-old eyes, but the day is fast approaching, so this thread is of utmost interest.

norton

One of the Regulars
I got a pair of Shuron Ronwinne's last year and love them. They are the lightest I've ever had and with the cable frames don't slip at all. They also fold flatter than any modern glasses.

I ordered the frames and lenses from Shuron and had a local optometrist cut the lenses and put them in.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
My wife hates my vintage Shurons and mad me get an additional pair (very nice BTW) of Persols.:rage: Trouble is that I wear the Ronsirs with clipons as sunnies. When I take them off everyone compliments me on them so I have great pleasure in informing the missus of every compliment that comes my way.....:D

Yesterday the only shop that was open for a sandwich and coffee was one run by some Chinese women. When one of them saw my Shurons she went nuts complimenting me :p and saying "they look like the glasses they wore in China 50 years ago!". I had great pleasure in telling her "they are 50 years old!"lol

univibe88

One Too Many
cookie said:
My wife hates my vintage Shurons and mad me get an additional pair (very nice BTW) of Persols.:rage: Trouble is that I wear the Ronsirs with clipons as sunnies. When I take them off everyone compliments me on them so I have great pleasure in informing the missus of every compliment that comes my way.....:D

Yesterday the only shop that was open for a sandwich and coffee was one run by some Chinese women. When one of them saw my Shurons she went nuts complimenting me :p and saying "they look like the glasses they wore in China 50 years ago!". I had great pleasure in telling her "they are 50 years old!"lol

Which model? Ronsir?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana