Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shuron Glasses

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
norton said:
I got a pair of Shuron Ronwinne's last year and love them. They are the lightest I've ever had and with the cable frames don't slip at all. They also fold flatter than any modern glasses.

I ordered the frames and lenses from Shuron and had a local optometrist cut the lenses and put them in.

Good Choice. :D
I've been wearing Art-Craft Rimway's for the last 15 years and think they're great. Same as Ronwinne's.
http://www.artcraftoptical.com/products/dress/legendarylooks/rimway.htm . Shuron and ArtCraft manufacturer many of the same traditional styles.

One big advantage to wearing traditional styles is that if you like the style you can always go back and order additional pairs (or replacement parts) at any time. With modern specs, I got tired of finding a style I liked only to return to the optician a year later to find that the style was no longer available. With traditional specs there's no hastle. :D

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I'm considering breaking down and getting some Rimway/Ronwinne style glasses, despite not having the spring hinge. However I'd prefer them to be the Oval #2 shape as opposed to the traditional octagon, since they would swallow up half my face. Have other Rimway/Ronwinne wearers encountered any difficulty with getting different lenses/having them made at optometrical shops? I know in the past I had difficulty finding a place that would/could do rimless mounting.

EDIT: I've discovered that the Ronwinne offers a spring hinge option, so, that's a definite plus for me... However, can you still have different lens shapes put into the Ronwinne? I've noticed online that it' offered as a "feature" of the Rimway, but not on any page offering the Ronwinne.

norton

One of the Regulars
Use the e-mail link at Shuron's web site to ask any questions. They were very helpful when I bought mine.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
My new Shuron Ronwinnes

Got my new Shuron Ronwinne frames in the mail a few days ago, and even though they're not RXed yet, I wanted to share-- I'm just too jazzed.

I have to give a big shout out first, though, to WideBrimm, who was kind enough to share his Ronwinne experiences with me, which proved invaluable in deciding to get them. Also Vick over at Optometrist's Attic, whose eyeglass frame experience and advice helped me as well, and who eventually ended up supplying the end product.

DSC03165.jpg

Impressions:

The frames are incredibly comfortable. The bridge molds very comfortably to the natural bridge of my own nose and sets securely and snugly; the cable temples, covered with a flesh cover, set nicely behind my ears and neither chafe, rub, or dig in. The cable temples were a big deciding factor as constantly pushing my glasses up on my nose is both annoying and occasionally an occupational hazard-- nothing like carrying a tray of dishes when your specs decide to start slipping off.

The one initial drawback is the lens size. To get an accurate width for my face size I had to go for the 50-22, which unfortunately for those of us with Charlie Brown heads, means the height is too much. I'm figuring on having them sized down so that the bottoms are located between where you now see "Ronwinne" and "by Shuron". The height above my brows also concerned me-- a rule of thumb I've heard saying that the tops of lenses should end just below your eyebrows. However, looking at some period photos-- and Guy Pearce in "LA Confidential"-- I see that the Ronwinne did tend to eclipse at least the lower portion of the wearer's eyebrow, so, that's just period authenticity.

Stay tuned for the end product!

norton

One of the Regulars
Congratulations. I've had a pair for about a year now and I love them. The hinges are still tight, despite the fact that I mostly wear them as reading glasses and am frequently taking them on and off. I know you'll be very satisfied.

Maguire

Practically Family
I don't own Shurons, but my eyeglasses are the Rayban sunglasses with eyeglass lenses fitted in the rayban frames. They are tinted as well, so i have the best of both worlds. They were mighty expensive (infact over 350 dollars before the medical insurance and a series of discounts kicked in), but i'm pleased with them, although everyone around me hates them with a passion. I got them because D-Fens from Falling Down has them, and they just seem to evoke that old school cold warrior look. I've posted several pictures wearing them already in various threads but i'll post this one again here for reference-
DSCF0833.jpg

Esme

One of the Regulars
WooHoo!! I have been hanging out in the wrong threads! Those are great glasses and you are a fine looking young man! Fine looking indeed!!!:eusa_clap

ETA: I think I just qualified myself as a dirty old lady!

Did I say, I think you are fine lookin'?

Maguire

Practically Family
Where are all you women in the real world???!

thank you, but the glasses don't really fit me well. I mean they fit me, but i suppose the shape of my face puts it off. But i don't care, i wear things because i like them, not really regarding how they appear on me.

univibe88

One Too Many
I think they look great. I'm digging the tie bar too :eusa_clap

If you are ever inclined to check out the Shurons, they make several different sizes - unlike the Raybans which come in only two sizes. Perhaps you could find some Shurons that fit better.

univibe88

One Too Many
I got my Shurons today. I went for the black briar and taper temple. Sorry for the casual dress and unshaven face. I have the week off so I am kicked back.

DSC_0174.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Opinions

I'm soliciting opinions as to how browline glasses work with my facial shape. I think if I went with Shurons, I'd order their Ronsir Revelations rather than the classic Ronsir Zyl because a little less lens height is in fashion at the moment, but this old pair of frames should give an idea.

Drivers_Licenses004.jpg

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

univibe88

One Too Many
Dave, I think they look great on you. Why not just get some Rx lenses in those frames?

If you want to get some new Shurons, they will send you a few different sizes/styles to try on. So you could try the ZYL and the Revelation.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
univibe88 said:
Dave, I think they look great on you. Why not just get some Rx lenses in those frames?

They're just junk '80s sunglasses I got at a thrift store. One nose pad is missing and when I inquired locally nobody could replace it or even had any ideas.

If you want to get some new Shurons, they will send you a few different sizes/styles to try on. So you could try the ZYL and the Revelation.

Now there's an idea.

-Dave

MisterGrey

Practically Family
If you wanna "prove" whether or not they suit you, measure the width of your face and the length of your face. If your face is longer than it is wide, the Classic Ronsirs should suit you fine. If the length and width are equal or your face is wider than long, go for the Revelation.

univibe88

One Too Many
I wore mine to work today for the first time. I only got one comment, which was "you look like you are right out of the Kennedy era." I took it as a compliment.

Inky

One Too Many
My hubby ordered Ronsir Zyl's directly from Shuron.com (ask for Tony Rivers, he was terrific at assisting us!). We sent the size from his current frames and what frames we wanted to try. They sent us four frames, charging us for one pair plus shipping. We chose to keep a pair and returned the rest, so for a fed ex charge of $12.95, then another $5.60 to send them back priority/delivery confirmation, we were able to get what we wanted. Which ended up being the regular size (not the smaller Revelation) Ronsir Zyl w/slipper arms in black with black chassis. We also ordered the clip-on's in black w/gray lenses (not shown on their site but available as of 2/27/09).

Really fantastic and quick service and the very first day the hubby wore them a girl commented on how good he looked - a first for him and his glasses! I'll post a pic of him wearing them over the weekend. I think he looks terrific wearing them.

Now I want some Shurons for myself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk