Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shuron Glasses

Edward

Bartender
They look great! How often will you be wearing them? If you need them for more than driving, you might find that a photochromic lens is more useful than a permanent tint...

Warden

One Too Many
I know look sad but I am on my way to work, but I wanted to show you my Shuron Ronsir glasses.

http://twitpic.com/2ls3gi

I know, I know, a chap should be wearing a tie, but I work in a hospital and ties are banned (infection control) Kinda ruins my G-man look.

Harry

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I have a face that is very similar to yours. How do the glasses work with a hat? I have two Akubras. One is a gray stylemaster (moonstone I believe). The other hat is a taupe fawn Camp Draft. I love the G-man look. But, I'm worried that my Stylemaster and Camp Draft may have brims that are too wide for these glasses.

birkie

Familiar Face
Shuron Ronstrong

New Shuron Ronstrong frames I got a week or so ago:

Very nice frames, especially with the available cable temples. I ended up with 42mm lenses, 19mm bridge. Vintage sizes were 40-46, but now they go up to 55. I really like the wide array of sizes that are available, it makes it possible to find a pair that actually fits!

Edward

Bartender
Jinkies, 55s?? Tres 1980s! I do like the look of those, very Glen Miller. I might look into a pair of those at some point for those occasions when I want something for a pre-1947 look (I wear Ronsirs all the time).

kaiser

A-List Customer
I have just gotten a pair of the Ronsir Revelations. The thing I really like about Glasses from Shuron is the sizing that is available. You can really get Glasses that fit properly, and are very comfortable to wear. The cable temples are something I ordered this time and I really like the way the Glasses stay in place and do not slide down your nose.

Edward

Bartender
I love the cables too. I have two pairs of Ronsirs with and two with regular legs (only one of each lensed up as of yet, though). There definitely is a difference, especially in the Summer! Both have their place (after a long day with one type, wearing the other can be a welcome, and comfortable, break). Can't see myself going elsewhere than Shuron for frames again.

CDSherwood

New in Town
Are there any pictures of children wearing browline glasses ? I have been doing image searches right and left so I could show my 7 year old how they look on a child his age. He wants the Freeways, but the smallest bridge size is a 20 which would slip off his nose since there aren't nosepads. He's settled on the Ronsir ZYL in black briar. He digs the Buddy Holly look and has Wayfarer Jrs, but they don't fit anymore between his large head and their small sizing.

CDSherwood

New in Town
Kids' vintage style glasses

I know there is a Shuron glasses thread, but when I posted there a while ago, no one had responded in ages and I wanted to share this.

Here is a picture of my son trying on his Shuron Nusir glasses. He is 7, and thinks these are "cool" because he got to pick out the colors himself. He originally wanted Freeways but the bridge is a wee bit too big for him, so we'll save those for next year. I know these are the "lady" version of the Ronsirs but the scale of these fit his face better than those. The optic shop we got the exam done at doesn't have these and the optician thought they were pretty cool.

Nusir4.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Shuron introduced the Ronsir in 1947. It proved popular, and many other manufacturers produced their own 'browline' style. Apparently during the fifties the style accounted for half of all glasses sold in the US. This popularity continued into the Sixties, so that Apollo 11 scene would make sense.

earl

A-List Customer
Just ordered a pair of reading glasses from Wal-Mart and those look pretty much like the pair I ordered. Wal-Mart just started carrying what they call the "vintage" line and the frames I got were priced almost the cheapest they had. Cool lookers. Earl

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Just ordered a pair of reading glasses from Wal-Mart and those look pretty much like the pair I ordered. Wal-Mart just started carrying what they call the "vintage" line and the frames I got were priced almost the cheapest they had. Cool lookers. Earl

I got mine from Wal-Mart as well, and like yours, were among the most inexpensive in the store (though I think mine may have been on clearance). They're not from the Vintage line, as those are more modern-does-vintage style repros-- I had wanted to get a pair of the "Vintage" browlines, but the lenses were far too short. Conversely I think the pair I ended up with is a hair too large, but better to have more lens than not enough.

299729_10150912493385092_613185091_21563948_859010730_n.jpg

I got my Shuron Ronsir Zyl (black briar) pair in 2002, a vintage pair from the middle 50s. They're great glasses, though the frames are now wrecked.

I just had to change my frames because it seems like every student and teen in this country is wearing browline or horn-rimmed frames … even people who don't need glasses. They are wearing them, apparently, because they think they look terrible. (yes, honestly, this is what I was told by the students in my Dept.) I HATE it when this happens - something I like becomes trendy. I am forced to change.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points