Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shuron Glasses

belmondo

New in Town
I wear a pair of vintage Ronsirs and love them. LOVE them. I loved them so much I ordered a spare pair of new ones from the website. I haven't needed to put lenses in the non-vintage pair, but from what I can tell just from handling them, the material and quality is not as good. The tortoise and especially the nose bridge feels much more flimsy than on the vintage ones. I'd be interested to know what those of you with new Shurons think of their durability.

I went to my local lenscrafters with my vintage pair and they put lenses in without any problem.

S

Samsa

Baron Kurtz said:
I had to sign a waiver to get lenses put into my vintage Shurons. They were scared they'd break them and didn't want the hassle if they did.

bk

When I was going to have lenses made around this time last year, I was told that they made no guarantees about the lenses not breaking - and the frames (made by Modo) were only six years old or so. Far from vintage.

They were just interested in me buying new frames from them, no doubt.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
belmondo said:
I wear a pair of vintage Ronsirs and love them. LOVE them. I loved them so much I ordered a spare pair of new ones from the website. I haven't needed to put lenses in the non-vintage pair, but from what I can tell just from handling them, the material and quality is not as good. The tortoise and especially the nose bridge feels much more flimsy than on the vintage ones. I'd be interested to know what those of you with new Shurons think of their durability.

I went to my local lenscrafters with my vintage pair and they put lenses in without any problem.

I play racquetball in my shurons. Two months ago a racquetball hit me right in the left lens. The glasses fell to the concrete. I picked them up, wiped them off, put them back on, and continued playing. I have also dropped them numerous other times without a problem. Great glasses.

Also, they are much lighter than any of the vintage frames I have had.

tonypaj

Practically Family
belmondo said:

I bought in November a pair of Ronsir Zyls. As I've never seen the originals I have no frame of reference for a comparison (lame pun, sorry for that...).

Anyway, I've got 6 or 7 other pairs (many Miklis, Armanis, others...) and the quality of Shuron seems quite on par with anything else that I've seen, at least nothing's broken so far. And the best thing about Shuron is the range of custom options for a seriously low price, and the customer service was magnificent...

tonypaj

cookie

I'll Lock Up
pablocham said:
I play racquetball in my shurons. Two months ago a racquetball hit me right in the left lens. The glasses fell to the concrete. I picked them up, wiped them off, put them back on, and continued playing. I have also dropped them numerous other times without a problem. Great glasses.

Also, they are much lighter than any of the vintage frames I have had.

A friend of mine drove a motorbike ove his B&L Rayban 1980s Wayfarers twisted the arm and jsut pushed it back in shape and slapped 'em back on his face!

Ying Ko

New in Town
I'm not a dentist, but...

...my frames are from 1960's-era dental supply company. The brand is "Swan".

I bought them at Level Optical in downtown Chicago. They're larger and more angular than Shurons but just as durable.

Anyway, Level Optical always has a stash of vintage frames on display. And they can order anything in the Shuron catalog. Ditto that for Eye Spy Optical in Chicago.

Shuron has a website, too. If you know your size you can order direct.

On a related note, you can also buy Ray-Ban frames for use with prescription lenses, also from the Ray-Ban website but also from the stores above.

Sorry to hear about your insurance trouble. I'm glad I have a "flex-spending" account so that I no longer have to put up with that type of crap from insurance companies. I have felt your pain.

Insurance companies are going to bankrupt this country.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Hugh Beaumont said:
I just bought my Revelation frames from Shuron directly, saving about $50.00

http://www.shuron.com

http://www.shuron.com/ronsir_rev.htm

Just email them and ask for Tony. He'll send you about 3 frames of different sizes to choose from when he gets a deposit. Just pick the one you want and send the rest back.

I love my Ronsir Revelations! Best pair of glasses I have ever owned.
Thank you for this link. The Escapades are exactly the sunglasses that I have been looking for.

plan_side_LG1.jpg

Artificially high prices?

What percentage of people have vision insurance as part of their health package from work?

Does insurance drive the prices of items and procedures up as postulated for all health care items and procedures?

All I know is that when I get glasses and I pay out of my pocket the cost is astonishing. I get a coupon from Sears and after the exam i go to choose glasses. The frames in the lowest tier of prices are and I quote:

"The type of glasses that do not get picked up at the lost and found at an orphanage!"

Add anti scratch and anti glare and they now are the same price as round trip air flights from NY to LA and back!

YIKES!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My boyfriend has glasses just like those - he bought them from a vendor who sells tons and tons of deadstock glasses but I'm drawing a blank. Anyone? Name begins with "A" I think?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got lucky with these. They were cheapo sunglasses that were in drawer in my house for years. I stumbled upon them and realized they looked exactly like the Allyn Scura frames I'd been lusting after! I got my perscription put in and they are awesome!
IMG_1832.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
pinkcase.jpg

Here are my prescription sunglasses. I found the frames at a Long Beach antique store for $20! They had reflective lenses in them already but were SUPER dark.

I wear them every day. I love them, but now Im looking fora more 40s looking pair of shades.

LD

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Stability/Durability of New Shuron Ronsir

I recently purchased a pair of new Shuron Ronsir Zyls in tortoise shell. Although I love the way they look on me, and they're extremely comfortable, I can't help but feel that they're rather flimsy. The tortoise portions of the frames seem to wiggle, despite the screws being tight, and the bridge flexes very easily. For the past two years, I've worn a pair of solid steel frames with an incredibly thick bridge, and I'm pretty sure that, if I took a rubber mallet to them, they wouldn't break; so, am I simply unduly used to an exceptionally high standard of frame durability? Has anyone else here had experience with the new Shuron Browlines, as opposed to vintage ones?

kaiser

A-List Customer
I have recently got a pair of the SHuron Ronsir eyeglasses and have found no stability issues at all. The one point that my Optomitrist made was that frames of this type should only have glass lenses, and not plastic. The glass according to him gives them more stability.

You observation about them being comforatable is right on the mark.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Well, they're currently away having lenses put in now. We'll see what turns up.

I actually opted for the plastic lenses, both for cost issues, and because it's what I've always worn. I tried polycarbonate once, and it didn't go over so well; despite the claims of scratch resistance and durability, they got more scratched and pitted than any other pair of lenses I've ever had. They even developed these tiny, bubble-like blemises that wouldn't come out.

The first optometrist I took the Ronsirs to, who's been in the business for over forty years, said they were a very durable frame and that they' stand up well once lenses were in them. But he wouldn't even put plastic lenses in them; he outright refused. He claimed that plastic lenses were dangerous in large frames, which would probably come as a surprise to my optometrist of nearly six years back in Oklahoma, who himself had been in the business for nearly forty years and who readily put plastic lenses into the series of ill-advised aviator frames I wore throughout high school. I tried pointing out to him that my current pair of script sunglasses are plastic (also an aviator frame), and that I've worn them nearly two years through some seriously gnarly circumstances, and they've not only not cut my eyes out but are currently scratch-and-bend free. His response was that it was against FDA regulations to do such a thing (?).

Anywho!

Took them to another optometrist I've used in the past-- a little further away (the first was right down the street), but there was no issue. Any luck, they'll be back tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran