Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 181088
Akubra Campdraft deluxe and Adam Texas. Silverbellies.
Felt color is the same, dimensions are almost exactly the same. Slight color difference in ribbons. Felt is a little thinner on the Adam. If they were bashed just alike they would pretty much be twins.

Darn Scooterz I was taking another look at your previous post and wanted to mention that your Adam Texas is a grand hat. In the pic is appears to have that soft mold-able, malleable felt that makes me want to reach out and touch it. Glorious hat felt shown in your hat pic. Thanks for sharing. Eric -

Tuning in tonight and really enjoying the hat pics Jack. Thanks for sharing. The 1910 "Red Bow" era hat has a big crown in the pic. How big is the crown? I am curious as to the dimensions as it would put the "newby" thin ribbon 1920's in perspective. Thanks in advance.

Jack you have quite the glorious hats on your hat rack. I tip my hat brim in your direction this evening. Oh yea, I will tip my Guinness Stout also, just not too much so as to spill any brown goodness.

Eric -
Thanks Eric for the compliment. I didn't have the answers in my notes so I did some quick measurements.

The BRE Fray measures 5" @ the front dip, 5-3/4" on the sides. The 1920's BRE thin ribbon measures 4" @ the front dip, 5-1/4" on the sides. Both hats have a 3" brim including the curl. The 1920's BRE is physically smaller than the BRE Fray because it is a size 7-1/8.

BRE Fray
IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5451.jpg

BRE thin ribbon
IMG_5452.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Although my favorite seat was occupied I tried to replicate my previous pics of my Gannon Highwayman in natural (2018?) with pics of my black Highwayman tonight.

View attachment 185932

View attachment 185929

View attachment 185931

View attachment 185930

That's a cool idea for a comparison - same shots different hats! Really, what is up with them not saving your fav seat? ;) I guess a pic with a ketchup bottle and the register will do. :)

I do like the flat and curled brims. The frayed ribbons are my fav, next to gills, of the Gannon hats.

Thanks for sharing. Best, Eric -

Scooterz

Practically Family
Really, what is up with them not saving your fav seat?
I'm a creature of habit, & just like James Butler Hickok I have a favorite place I like to sit everywhere I go on a regular basis. Sometimes it's occupied, sometimes not.

The ribbon & bow on the hIghwayman is something I have Michael change from his normal OR style ribbon & bow.

I think you should get the best looking waitress to model your hats.
Scooterz, I'll tell Bruno the bouncer that you want him to model & show a little leg.

Nice comparison, Jack.
Thanks Stefan. I enjoyed trying to recreate the original pic after so many months. The artist in me needs to get out on occasion.
IMG_4615.jpg

J Williams

Practically Family
I'm a creature of habit, & just like James Butler Hickok I have a favorite place I like to sit everywhere I go on a regular basis. Sometimes it's occupied, sometimes not.

The ribbon & bow on the hIghwayman is something I have Michael change from his normal OR style ribbon & bow.

Scooterz, I'll tell Bruno the bouncer that you want him to model & show a little leg.

Thanks Stefan. I enjoyed trying to recreate the original pic after so many months. The artist in me needs to get out on occasion.
View attachment 186015

Your photos have me second guessing my thin ribbon choice on my new black custom. Good stuff Jack.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Stetson One Hundred 100 with keyhole size tag

IMG_2368.jpg
IMG_2369.jpg
IMG_2370.jpg

Stetson Open Road 7X Clear Beaver with keyhole size tag

IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

I love both hats and they are two of my favorites despite their similarities.

The felt quality is virtually the same, as is the quality of the sweatband, etc. However, I do find myself reaching for the 100 a bit more often than the 7XCB, if only for the fact that I like the crease a bit better.

If I lived in the late 1950s, and was forced to choose between paying $50 for the 7XCB and $100 for the 100, I'd save the $50 for sure despite the sweet case that came with the 100. Both hats are exceptional in every way, and I am privileged to own these special hats from a simpler time.

View attachment 219994 View attachment 219995 View attachment 219996

View attachment 220000
View attachment 220001
View attachment 220002

The felt quality is virtually the same, as is the quality of the sweatband, etc. However, I do find myself reaching for the 100 a bit more often than the 7XCB, if only for the fact that I like the crease a bit better.

If I lived in the late 1950s, and was forced to choose between paying $50 for the 7XCB and $100 for the 100, I'd save the $50 for sure despite the sweet case that came with the 100. Both hats are exceptional in every way, and I am privileged to own these special hats from a simpler time.
Great examples, both. And I would concur on reaching for one of my 100's with one caveat being the weather. Won't risk it getting stained or dirty.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 220000
View attachment 220001
View attachment 220002

Thanks for sharing your special 50's hats. They are absolutely gorgeous.

View attachment 220000
View attachment 220001
View attachment 220002

Beautiful hats, Rick. I enjoyed the pics and comparison. I agree with your assessment as well. I’m also happy to have some examples of each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner