Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Today I would like to share a triad of Stetson Playboys. I have showcased three hats, all light gray felt.

i-zcwT8hp-M.jpg

i-Lbps7Tb-M.jpg

Below is a close up of the unlined hats.

i-f3c4gDw-M.jpg

The glued in label on the hat on the left is very colorful and something I have not seen on my hat rack before.

i-kzQ7CBW-M.jpg

The unlined hats occupy very special position on my "hat rack." They can be worn during my neighborhoods hot and cool weather easily. The un-reeded sweats of the Stetson Playboy fit lightly upon the head. This makes them super comfortable.

I bring them to open crown, using steam, in order to crease them emphasizing the high straight block that is a signature of this model. I try to begin the top dent at the peak or just after the peak in order to maximize the height of the hat. A center crease and then expanding the rear sides to a gentle diamond, IMO, gives the hat a perfect appearance.

i-HH6SwNN-M.jpg

The unique stitching on the Stetson Playboys are subtle, delicate and eye catching all at the same time. "Suitable for Town and Country."

i-gcdZW9t-M.jpg

I am intrigued by the gorgeous thin, malleable felt of the early Stetson Playboy's. Such a grand hat!

Thanks for taking the time to view my post. Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:
Today I would like to share a triad of Stetson Playboys. I have showcased three hats, all light gray felt.

i-zcwT8hp-M.jpg

i-Lbps7Tb-M.jpg

i-f3c4gDw-M.jpg

The glued in label on the hat on the left is very colorful and something I have not seen on my hat rack before.

i-kzQ7CBW-M.jpg

The unlined hats occupy very special position on my "hat rack." They can be worn during my neighborhoods hot and cool weather easily. The un-reeded sweats of the Stetson Playboy fit lightly upon the head. This makes them super comfortable.

I bring them to open crown, using steam, in order to crease them emphasizing the high straight block that is a signature of this model. I try to begin the top dent at the peak or just after the peak in order to maximize the height of the hat. A center crease and then expanding the rear sides to a gentle diamond, IMO, gives the hat a perfect appearance.

i-HH6SwNN-M.jpg

The unique stitching on the Stetson Playboys are subtle, delicate and eye catching all at the same time. "Suitable for Town and Country."

i-gcdZW9t-M.jpg

I am intrigued by the gorgeous thin, malleable felt of the early Stetson Playboy's. Such a grand hat!

Eric,
Your hats are just TOO AWESOME!!!!!
Thanks for these comparisons!!!

mark balen

Familiar Face
Thanks for taking the time to share these. The side by side comparison provides much information regarding the variations. I like the way you block these.

i-zcwT8hp-M.jpg

i-Lbps7Tb-M.jpg

i-f3c4gDw-M.jpg

i-kzQ7CBW-M.jpg

i-HH6SwNN-M.jpg

i-gcdZW9t-M.jpg

Excellent comparison of these very attractive hats, Eric. I like these unlined ones especially and the way they crease is very telling about the felt quality. A treat to see.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for sharing, Eric. That early colorful glued in logo is very interesting for 30’s!

That is a 50's logo, not a 30's......

Agreed, the post originally stated 1930s.

M.Hatman is correct about not being 30's. After posting Ross I did go back and edit the post. I had used some tip in pics as reference and they turned to be a false start. I received a pm from another informing me of my error soon after posting.

Unfortunately I misled Ross. Humble apologies. I will re-think about posting any date info. Embarrassed to be gullible on dates, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I have been wearing some Stetson Playboy's today. I put the hat down on my desk near an un-lined Stetson Bantam. My curiosity was piqued as they appeared similar. I share some pics as I tried to ascertain any differences.

i-9vz9Rs7-M.jpg

I put a ruler to the brims and these two examples measured 2.5".

i-sfg8jTf-M.jpg

i-FfnNBFZ-M.jpg

I put the ruler on the ribbon - the same. The knots - the same.

i-QHc2tFF-M.jpg

I am all too familiar with the stereotypical Playboy stitched brim. Sure enough this unlined Bantam has the same brim stitching.

i-xqHjxR6-M.jpg

The Bantam does not have a label inside the sweat indicating the block #. To my eye, the two hats have similar crown shapes when brought to open crown. The crease on the Bantam appears different as I try to crease to showcase the vent holes on the side. If I bring the crown crease deeper the hats take identical creases.

i-JjpTZFC-M.jpg

Above is a pic comparing the interior of these two hats. Finally a difference! The branding or name on the sweats are different. I know that is obvious, but I was glad to find something. I am curious now and will have to break out examples of each model to better ascertain the differences.

I was curious this afternoon. Thanks for taking the time to take a look and read.

Best, Eric -

I have been wearing some Stetson Playboy's today. I put the hat down on my desk near an un-lined Stetson Bantam. My curiosity was piqued as they appeared similar. I share some pics as I tried to ascertain any differences.

i-9vz9Rs7-M.jpg

I put a ruler to the brims and these two examples measured 2.5".

i-sfg8jTf-M.jpg

i-FfnNBFZ-M.jpg

I put the ruler on the ribbon - the same. The knots - the same.

i-QHc2tFF-M.jpg

I am all too familiar with the stereotypical Playboy stitched brim. Sure enough this unlined Bantam has the same brim stitching.

i-xqHjxR6-M.jpg

The Bantam does not have a label inside the sweat indicating the block #. To my eye, the two hats have similar crown shapes when brought to open crown. The crease on the Bantam appears different as I try to crease to showcase the vent holes on the side. If I bring the crown crease deeper the hats take identical creases.

i-JjpTZFC-M.jpg

Above is a pic comparing the interior of these two hats. Finally a difference! The branding or name on the sweats are different. I know that is obvious, but I was glad to find something. I am curious now and will have to break out examples of each model to better ascertain the differences.

I was curious this afternoon. Thanks for taking the time to take a look and read.

Best, Eric -
Another excellent comparison, Eric. Thanks for posting these. Could it be marketing or were these around at the same time?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Another excellent comparison, Eric. Thanks for posting these. Could it be marketing or were these around at the same time?

You are welcome. I found it very curious.

Around at same time - these two hats no. The Bantam is an older hat. Marketing - I am still sorting through old magazine advertisements looking for something definitive. As soon as I find something I will yell.

I still have to pull out a few Bantams and Playboys to check to see if they share the same block size.

Eric -

For some reason a Stetson 7x Clear Beaver Open Road in a size 7 5/8 made its way to my doorstep. Its rightful owner asked me to post my thoughts of it compared to other hats. Happy to oblige. But some pics of it first.

7x clear churchill compared_01.jpg
7x clear churchill compared_04.jpg
7x clear churchill compared_06.jpg
7x clear churchill compared_07.jpg
7x clear churchill compared_09.jpg

As close to new as you're likely to ever find one (it probably was worn, but not much). Sure is purdy.

Anyway. I've compared it to the Stratoliner, the Flagship, the 3x Beaver and to a Churchill Beaver 50 I have in my collection. Right off the bat I'm going to say it is almost exactly the same as the Churchill: same style, same kind of feel of the hat both in moldability and hand of the felt. In order of softness (as opposed to stiffness - not the hand of the felt) the Flagship is the softest of the bunch, followed by the 3x beaver and the Stratoliner. The hand of the felt follows the same route in opposite direction: the 7x Clear Beaver and Churchill have a noticeable finer hand and are more finely pounced than the others. Quite addictive actually to run your hand across those. They are followed by the stratoliner, the 3x beaver and the flagship. It almost feels like the addition of more shellac allows for a finer pouncing of the felt. I say almost, because I do own some Borsalino hats that manage an equally fine finish and hand without the stiffness.
Now when I say stiffness it is not like these two hats are in any way like cardboard; far from it. But they will keep their shape and it requires more effort to change that. It can be done without steam though. The "molds like clay" frase comes to mind here. Well, if that holds true for the 7x, the Flagship would be a "molds like whipped cream". Personally I find the latter very appealing and comfortable too. There are lightweight hats out there that can actually be blown into shape, but unlike the Flagship, these have to be handled gingerly or they will loose their shape in an instant. The flaghsip actually manages to keep its shape very well.
This is all a matter of personal preference really and I think this relative stiffness of the 7x Open Road is sort of carried over from its western origins. For a western hat, which I always consider to be working hats, it makes a lot of sense to keep their shape under all conditions. And I can understand that one would be taken by the 7x's properties of taking and keeping the shape you put in it and the truly wonderful hand of the felt. I prefer the softer feel of the other hats, because I find them more comfortable to wear, but that's me. And if the shape of the hat fits you (I mean regular oval or long oval) you're always good to go. But it does need to fit you (I had to correct my Churchill a few times with steam before it fit my long oval comfortably). The other hats are more forgiving that way. I can however imagine that a hat like the 7x would loose some of its stiffness with wear and handling (it didn't loose it sitting in a box) and would come closer in feel to the others.
The finish, needless to say, is excellent, but I would have liked to have seen a more luxurious liner on the hat. The brim measures 7,5cm (3") and the crown is 11cm at the center dent (at this moment). The hat weighs 160 grams. The much smaller sized Churchill weighs 130 grams.
My verdict: this is certainly a winner. Wether or not it is the pinnacle of someones hat collection is a matter of taste and preference, but Stetson certainly did a great job with this one.

Didn't take pics of the other hats next to it, but I did set it next to its smaller sized sibling the Churchill. Both were originally sold for $50.
The Churchill on the right (thanks to @Rmccamey). Basically exactly the same hat; the differences in proportions are due to the difference in size. The Churchill has some more contrast in the ribbon colour. The slight difference in felt colour is there but hardly noticeable in the pictures.
7x clear churchill compared_12.jpg

7x clear churchill compared_13.jpg

7x clear churchill compared_14.jpg

There's nothing between them in the finishing, which is excellent on both hats. Again the Stetson on the left and the Churchill on the right. Like I said though, I would have expected Stetson to have put in a more luxurious liner in this one.

7x clear churchill compared_15.jpg
7x clear churchill compared_16.jpg

If the owner wants to chime in he can share his thoughts, but I think he can be rightly "chuffed to bits" with this one.

For some reason a Stetson 7x Clear Beaver Open Road in a size 7 5/8 made its way to my doorstep. Its rightful owner asked me to post my thoughts of it compared to other hats. Happy to oblige. But some pics of it first.

View attachment 238657 View attachment 238658 View attachment 238659 View attachment 238660 View attachment 238661

As close to new as you're likely to ever find one (it probably was worn, but not much). Sure is purdy.

Anyway. I've compared it to the Stratoliner, the Flagship, the 3x Beaver and to a Churchill Beaver 50 I have in my collection. Right off the bat I'm going to say it is almost exactly the same as the Churchill: same style, same kind of feel of the hat both in moldability and hand of the felt. In order of softness (as opposed to stiffness - not the hand of the felt) the Flagship is the softest of the bunch, followed by the 3x beaver and the Stratoliner. The hand of the felt follows the same route in opposite direction: the 7x Clear Beaver and Churchill have a noticeable finer hand and are more finely pounced than the others. Quite addictive actually to run your hand across those. They are followed by the stratoliner, the 3x beaver and the flagship. It almost feels like the addition of more shellac allows for a finer pouncing of the felt. I say almost, because I do own some Borsalino hats that manage an equally fine finish and hand without the stiffness.
Now when I say stiffness it is not like these two hats are in any way like cardboard; far from it. But they will keep their shape and it requires more effort to change that. It can be done without steam though. The "molds like clay" frase comes to mind here. Well, if that holds true for the 7x, the Flagship would be a "molds like whipped cream". Personally I find the latter very appealing and comfortable too. There are lightweight hats out there that can actually be blown into shape, but unlike the Flagship, these have to be handled gingerly or they will loose their shape in an instant. The flaghsip actually manages to keep its shape very well.
This is all a matter of personal preference really and I think this relative stiffness of the 7x Open Road is sort of carried over from its western origins. For a western hat, which I always consider to be working hats, it makes a lot of sense to keep their shape under all conditions. And I can understand that one would be taken by the 7x's properties of taking and keeping the shape you put in it and the truly wonderful hand of the felt. I prefer the softer feel of the other hats, because I find them more comfortable to wear, but that's me. And if the shape of the hat fits you (I mean regular oval or long oval) you're always good to go. But it does need to fit you (I had to correct my Churchill a few times with steam before it fit my long oval comfortably). The other hats are more forgiving that way. I can however imagine that a hat like the 7x would loose some of its stiffness with wear and handling (it didn't loose it sitting in a box) and would come closer in feel to the others.
The finish, needless to say, is excellent, but I would have liked to have seen a more luxurious liner on the hat. The brim measures 7,5cm (3") and the crown is 11cm at the center dent (at this moment). The hat weighs 160 grams. The much smaller sized Churchill weighs 130 grams.
My verdict: this is certainly a winner. Wether or not it is the pinnacle of someones hat collection is a matter of taste and preference, but Stetson certainly did a great job with this one.

Didn't take pics of the other hats next to it, but I did set it next to its smaller sized sibling the Churchill. Both were originally sold for $50.
The Churchill on the right (thanks to @Rmccamey). Basically exactly the same hat; the differences in proportions are due to the difference in size. The Churchill has some more contrast in the ribbon colour. The slight difference in felt colour is there but hardly noticeable in the pictures.
View attachment 238662

View attachment 238663

View attachment 238664

There's nothing between them in the finishing, which is excellent on both hats. Again the Stetson on the left and the Churchill on the right. Like I said though, I would have expected Stetson to have put in a more luxurious liner in this one.

View attachment 238665 View attachment 238666

If the owner wants to chime in he can share his thoughts, but I think he can be rightly "chuffed to bits" with this one.

Size 7 5/8 you say... :)
Great review and someone is going to be very happy indeed.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 238657 View attachment 238658 View attachment 238659 View attachment 238660 View attachment 238661

View attachment 238662

View attachment 238663

View attachment 238664

Lucky new owner of this large size beautiful OR has to be happy.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Wow, you can stop collecting now, Stefan, I think you have the best!!!

View attachment 238662

View attachment 238663

View attachment 238664

View attachment 238662

View attachment 238663

View attachment 238664

tenor (1).gif

NICE COMPARISON, well done!!
Thanks my freind!
I am sure someone will be VERY, VERY, pleased with their like new 7XCB OR, whoever they may be.........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O;););););):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
giphypms.gif

Give me your tired, your poor, your best
Your huddled hats yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
And I’ll take pictures of them and compare them to others:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana