Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

The Winchester Limestone is beaver and only the color is the same: the hand, firmness, and malleability if the Winchester is completely different.
I have just the one Limestone and the finished hat, in dress weight, is western weight stiff. I need to wear it in the winter elements and see if it softens up some. Is yours really a stiff felt too? I do love the colour.

I have just the one Limestone and the finished hat, in dress weight, is western weight stiff. I need to wear it in the winter elements and see if it softens up some. Is yours really a stiff felt too? I do love the colour.

Mine is a dress weight felt and very soft.

I wish other hatters would follow Art’s lead and commission special colors from Winchester. I’m also curious if Winchester still offers nutria and nutria blend felts.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
3 Clear Beavers with just enough differences to keep it interesting.
C19E76AB-C72E-4539-82D6-874ABA4EF1C7.jpeg

Starting with the earliest and darkest, 1933-35 NRA tagged 5x western with bound edge and 3 ply ribbon. #52 Block, by far the densest felt of the group, dry creases to anything but does not have the best hand of bunch. The brim has a shallow flange and snaps wonderfully:
8E095601-3117-42EF-BC05-74DFDE2A1DD5.jpeg

Next on the timeline is another #52 block 3ply ribbon western, but with a raw edge and 7x designation. This one has the Last Drop liner with oil/onion slick and the brim does not hold a snap. Very thin felt, has the softest and nicest hand of the trio:
04DC7D85-F7B6-4EEE-8588-5A6F1A21A265.jpeg

Lastly, another 7x western with dress flare. With OR dimensions (albeit no OR stamp), it the smallest and firmest felt of the CB’s. Embroidered Last Drop liner with clear plastic which, thankfully, is not of the crunchy variety. Fairly deep flange which will snap but I keep it up and cattleman creased:
F3B734B8-BC6D-46C9-B5B9-56D9FEEADD55.jpeg

A few more group shots:
0C864DD4-C5AA-4116-B1C3-B545A2CC658A.jpeg

D6E7D351-52DE-4BF0-B4E2-DF8F4C0DB3E7.jpeg

Attachments

• B729C0EE-0B24-486A-B65E-47E7606FCB7C.jpeg
    B729C0EE-0B24-486A-B65E-47E7606FCB7C.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 971

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
3 Clear Beavers with just enough differences to keep it interesting.
View attachment 276737

Starting with the earliest and darkest, 1933-35 NRA tagged 5x western with bound edge and 3 ply ribbon. #52 Block, by far the densest felt of the group, dry creases to anything but does not have the best hand of bunch. The brim has a shallow flange and snaps wonderfully:
View attachment 276738

Next on the timeline is another #52 block 3ply ribbon western, but with a raw edge and 7x designation. This one has the Last Drop liner with oil/onion slick and the brim does not hold a snap. Very thin felt, has the softest and nicest hand of the trio:
View attachment 276751

Lastly, another 7x western with dress flare. With OR dimensions (albeit no OR stamp), it the smallest and firmest felt of the CB’s. Embroidered Last Drop liner with clear plastic which, thankfully, is not of the crunchy variety. Fairly deep flange which will snap but I keep it up and cattleman creased:

Thanks for sharing Ross. Clearly your Clears are dynamite fedoras. In addition, unquestionably clear photos. ;) Seriously, thanks for sharing your wonderful clear Stetsons. Downtown or country these hats are good to go!

Eric -

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Glad you enjoyed them, Eric! Appreciate the kind words on the composition, I’m not the best photog so this was several attempts in the making. Will look forward to seeing more of your comparisons as well :)

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good day hat folks. I wished to share comparison pics of my Stetson DeLuxe Vogue fedoras.

DSC04488-M.jpg

I introduce to you a pine and a forest green Vogue's.

The pine green fedora has been showcased before in this thread. I have not been able to find Stetson advertisements identifying the felt color in the Vogue. The felt color matches a couple Stetson Stratoliners I have that matching era advertisements call the felt color pine green. The "forest green" is my name for the unique and vibrant green Vogue with a maroon/brown ribbon and edge trimmings. The felts of the two hats are very similar in feel. Soft to touch and easily snapped brims and the crown can take and hold side creases easily. The crowns easily take a soft diamond, or center dent. It would take some steam to make a teardrop with a center rise.

DSC04489-M.jpg

Both Vogues have more bound ribbon on the top edge, than the bottom of the brim. The stitch is finely done . The pine green version has matching thread and the forest green has thread that matches the ribbon/binding. It is this version which more clearly shows the fine quality stitching.

DSC04497-M.jpg

There is a ribbon bow difference. Take a look.

DSC04491-M.jpg

The gold script on the leather sweat with the name "Vogue" is different. Take a look. I see the same hats, just having small differences.

DSC04494-M.jpg

DSC04493-M.jpg

I have seen Stetson magazine advertisements that clearly show the 40's Vogues having bigger nrims and the 50's Vogues having text in the advertisements saying they have fashionable smaller brims. These two fedoras share a 2.5" brim width. With extraordinary good luck perhaps I can locate a 50's version for my hat rack to join these two "bigger brimmed" fedoras.

DSC04492-M.jpg

Thanks for viewing my two Stetson DeLuxe Vogues today. Cheers.

Best wishes, Eric -

Last edited:
Good day hat folks. I wished to share comparison pics of my Stetson DeLuxe Vogue fedoras.

DSC04488-M.jpg

I introduce to you a pine and a forest green Vogue's.

The pine green fedora has been showcased before in this thread. I have not been able to find Stetson advertisements identifying the felt color in the Vogue. The felt color matches a couple Stetson Stratoliners I have that matching era advertisements call the felt color pine green. The "forest green" is my name for the unique and vibrant green Vogue with a maroon/brown ribbon and edge trimmings. The felts of the two hats are very similar in feel. Soft to touch and easily snapped brims and the crown can take and hold side creases easily. The crowns easily take a soft diamond, or center dent. It would take some steam to make a teardrop with a center rise.

DSC04489-M.jpg

Both Vogues have more bound ribbon on the top edge, than the bottom of the brim. The stitch is finely done . The pine green version has matching thread and the forest green has thread that matches the ribbon/binding. It is this version which more clearly shows the fine quality stitching.

DSC04497-M.jpg

There is a ribbon bow difference. Take a look.

DSC04491-M.jpg

The gold script on the leather sweat with the name "Vogue" is different. Take a look. I see the same hats, just having small differences.

DSC04494-M.jpg

DSC04493-M.jpg

I have seen Stetson magazine advertisements that clearly show the 40's Vogues having bigger nrims and the 50's Vogues having text in the advertisements saying they have fashionable smaller brims. These two fedoras share a 2.5" brim width. With extraordinary good luck perhaps I can locate a 50's version for my hat rack to join these two "bigger brimmed" fedoras.

DSC04492-M.jpg

Thanks for viewing my two Stetson DeLuxe Vogues today. Cheers.

Best wishes, Eric -
Two beautiful Vogues

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I wanted to share 3 Stetson Open Roads all in shades of gray felt. Today I was brushing and setting hats out to be available for upcoming Spring hat wearing adventures.

i-j2GhLWb-M.jpg

From l-r are pictured a Stetson Royal Open Road (Aquanized Stetson), A Stetson Royal DeLuxe Open Road and a Stetson Royal Open Road. The crown, brim dimensions and brim trim are identical on all three.

i-Jj2kgKw-M.jpg

i-k2LCbvD-M.jpg

The middle OR is a gorgeous light blue/gray felted version. The other two a rich hued medium gray felts.

The Aquanized OR was sold at Phillips Ltd., New Westminster, BC. The leather sweat is grained leather. The felt is the easiest to crease of all three. So easy to crease that after wearing the hat I recognize the crease changed. I shake my head and the creases slightly change.

i-njTZSJW-M.jpg

i-W7XXj2G-M.jpg

The Royal DeLuxe OR was sold at Weins, Butte. The nicest felt by far and the richest nicest leather sweat by far.

i-8zVv5VP-M.jpg

i-sgdjsf4-M.jpg

The third (1st pic) Stetson OR was sold at McLeod Bros, Calgary, CA. This just a dynamite vintage OR. Pliable quality leather sweat, malleable felt with quality execution of details.

i-j2Q9LVG-M.jpg

i-W8tLhv4-M.jpg

Why have all three? I found it interesting to compare the Royal DeLuxe version to the Royal Canadian Calgary version. The Canadian felt is really above the Royal quality level. The gray Aquanized is interesting as a representation of Canadian made OR's.

Take-away: You, the viewer need to form your own take-away opinions.

Cheers, Eric -

mark balen

Familiar Face
I wanted to share 3 Stetson Open Roads all in shades of gray felt. Today I was brushing and setting hats out to be available for upcoming Spring hat wearing adventures.

i-j2GhLWb-M.jpg

From l-r are pictured a Stetson Royal Open Road (Aquanized Stetson), A Stetson Royal DeLuxe Open Road and a Stetson Royal Open Road. The crown, brim dimensions and brim trim are identical on all three.

i-Jj2kgKw-M.jpg

i-k2LCbvD-M.jpg

The middle OR is a gorgeous light blue/gray felted version. The other two a rich hued medium gray felts.

The Aquanized OR was sold at Phillips Ltd., New Westminster, BC. The leather sweat is grained leather. The felt is the easiest to crease of all three. So easy to crease that after wearing the hat I recognize the crease changed. I shake my head and the creases slightly change.

i-njTZSJW-M.jpg

i-W7XXj2G-M.jpg

The Royal DeLuxe OR was sold at Weins, Butte. The nicest felt by far and the richest nicest leather sweat by far.

i-8zVv5VP-M.jpg

i-sgdjsf4-M.jpg

The third (1st pic) Stetson OR was sold at McLeod Bros, Calgary, CA. This just a dynamite vintage OR. Pliable quality leather sweat, malleable felt with quality execution of details.

i-j2Q9LVG-M.jpg

i-W8tLhv4-M.jpg

Why have all three? I found it interesting to compare the Royal DeLuxe version to the Royal Canadian Calgary version. The Canadian felt is really above the Royal quality level. The gray Aquanized is interesting as a representation of Canadian made OR's.

Cheers, Eric -

i-j2GhLWb-M.jpg

i-Jj2kgKw-M.jpg

i-k2LCbvD-M.jpg

i-njTZSJW-M.jpg

i-W7XXj2G-M.jpg

i-8zVv5VP-M.jpg

i-sgdjsf4-M.jpg

i-j2Q9LVG-M.jpg

i-W8tLhv4-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up

i-j2GhLWb-M.jpg

i-Jj2kgKw-M.jpg

i-k2LCbvD-M.jpg

i-njTZSJW-M.jpg

i-W7XXj2G-M.jpg

i-8zVv5VP-M.jpg

i-sgdjsf4-M.jpg

i-j2Q9LVG-M.jpg

i-W8tLhv4-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
I would be more than happy to take-away a hat like any of those in a 7 1/2.
Great pics, great post as usual.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
What color felt? I am sharing my investigation.

I am sharing a new to my hat rack fedora this morning. Fortune struck and I was sold a charcoal un-lined Stratoliner with the round patch tip protector. Like many of us I was excited to see such an old model of this venerable hat. Excellent condition hat with the very malleable felt that is such a revelation in hats of this age.

I wore the new thin ribboned fedora for a dog soirée through my neighborhood. Home in the 32'f morning sun I took the hat off and wiped the perspiration from the leather sweat and was puzzled trying to identify the felt hue.

i-FNCnXQh-L.jpg

The late winter early morning lighting plays tricks with the color of items. My camera and phone camera struggle this time of the year/morning. This said the hat shows blue. In the shade, in the morning sun and in the dark of evergreen branches it shows blue hints.

I pulled a couple of gray Stratoliners for a comparison. The gray hat to the left is a 2 7/8" brim and the far right one is a 2.5" brim. The lighting even shows a small amout of blue hints to these gray felts. They are truly gray felts.

i-NJVxhGv-M.jpg

i-bttKkdh-M.jpg

The "charcoal" felt shows steel blue.

I pulled out a Cadet Blue Stratoliner and took some comparison pics. The felt is certainly not the same. The cadet blue is a stunning Air Force blue.

i-xg4nc4T-M.jpg

i-spTC4Rj-M.jpg

i-shNx83G-M.jpg

i-tCfpBFP-M.jpg

I am left this morning puzzling if I have a "steel blue" Stratoliner. I have been looking through some of the advertisements for mention of a steel blue hue. Hopefully more to come as I investigate to see if it was an offering.

i-MBhVbvh-M.jpg

Looks like a steel blue. Or does it? A charcoal that shows its blue hints? A mystery in the March morning sun.

Identifying the "true color" of the felts is a pleasant investigation on a Sunday morning.

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

RossRYoung

Practically Family
A most excellent pick up, Eric. I would also lean towards Steel Blue, though very hard to tell through screens. Always enjoy your Side/sides, a treat for the eyes and your breakdowns are always inspiring and informative.
Cheers

I am sharing a new to my hat rack fedora this morning. Fortune struck and I was sold a charcoal un-lined Stratoliner with the round patch tip protector. Like many of us I was excited to see such an old model of this venerable hat. Excellent condition hat with the very malleable felt that is such a revelation in hats of this age.

I wore the new thin ribboned fedora for a dog soirée through my neighborhood. Home in the 32'f morning sun I took the hat off and wiped the perspiration from the leather sweat and was puzzled trying to identify the felt hue.

i-FNCnXQh-L.jpg

The late winter early morning lighting plays tricks with the color of items. My camera and phone camera struggle this time of the year/morning. This said the hat shows blue. In the shade, in the morning sun and in the dark of evergreen branches it shows blue hints.

I pulled a couple of gray Stratoliners for a comparison. The gray hat to the left is a 2 7/8" brim and the far right one is a 2.5" brim. The lighting even shows a small amout of blue hints to these gray felts. They are truly gray felts.

i-NJVxhGv-M.jpg

i-bttKkdh-M.jpg

I pulled out a Cadet Blue Stratoliner and took some comparison pics. The felt is certainly not the same. The cadet blue is a stunning Air Force blue.

i-xg4nc4T-M.jpg

i-spTC4Rj-M.jpg

i-shNx83G-M.jpg

i-tCfpBFP-M.jpg

I am left this morning puzzling if I have a "steel blue" Stratoliner. I have been looking through some of the advertisements for mention of a steel blue hue. Hopefully more to come as I investigate to see if it was an offering.

i-MBhVbvh-M.jpg

Looks like a steel blue. Or does it? A charcoal that shows its blue hints? A mystery in the March morning sun.

Identifying the "true color" of the felts is a pleasant investigation on a Sunday morning.

Cheers, Eric -
Like your Open Road comparison a very enjoyable posting, Eric. Thanks for taking us along on your ongoing journey through hats and felts.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up

i-FNCnXQh-L.jpg

i-NJVxhGv-M.jpg

i-bttKkdh-M.jpg

i-xg4nc4T-M.jpg

i-spTC4Rj-M.jpg

i-shNx83G-M.jpg

i-tCfpBFP-M.jpg

i-MBhVbvh-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Whatever color it is it sure is nice!

With the arrival of my latest hat from Michael Gannon I now have three custom fedoras in blue felt.

Custom Agnoulita rabbit fur felt in suede finished marine blue:

73DE8ED1-0189-4260-9EB3-CB49F9939B5D.jpeg
910F6833-23FD-4C31-B11B-C22596F8D6B6.jpeg

Custom Gannon beaver in navy:

8C681D60-3BFE-4D41-96B7-72F1AF597F98.jpeg
F7209375-0BD0-4AF8-90F7-C0455FE656D9.jpeg

Custom Gannon nutria in midnight:

C34DCB81-E632-462A-BC5B-F56260F8DFDE.jpeg
7C997549-73A6-4208-BEBA-F0F6F6A8A440.jpeg

And group photos:

2F3E06BC-C008-43A6-9F3D-C4C6F50A6C8F.jpeg
163F158D-E544-4EDD-A893-4F1E4C86BE6F.jpeg
37C5A274-2E5C-4A6B-8118-68E2895DF21A.jpeg
1B27558C-CDD3-4E50-8F5D-58701B3B00BC.jpeg
163F158D-E544-4EDD-A893-4F1E4C86BE6F.jpeg

The marine blue Agnoulita is made from Tonak’s rabbit fur felt. The felt is light and has minimal stiffeners in it. It can almost be wadded into a ball. The felt is lower density and a bit spongey. The color is lighter than the others.

The Gannon navy is made from Winchester’s 100% beaver fur felt. It is the densest of the hats and the crown is thin and accepts most dry creasing (a bit of steam helps to hold the shape). The color is the darkest of the three and the hardest to accurately capture in photos.

The Gannon midnight is made from 100% nutria fur felt sourced from Sunrise Hat Supply. The felt is thicker than the beaver and the hat is the heaviest of the three. The hand is exceptional and the crown is very soft and the brim noticeably firmer. The crown shapes with minimal pressure, but it springs back much more than the beaver. The felt holds its shape easily with some steam, but it’s not the “dead” shapes like clay kind of felt. The depth of the color and the shade of blue is outstanding.

For color, I like the midnight nutria the best. The color saturation and vividness is excellent. It also has the best hand and will make an exceptional cooler weather hat. For overall felt characteristics, I prefer the beaver. The beaver is thinner and molds more like want felt to. I really like them both and have no regrets getting them both. The Agnoulita in marine blue is a nice hat that is soft, conforms to my head perfectly, and is easy to travel with. However, it’s immediately apparent when handling the hats that the Agnoulita is outclassed by the others, but it’s a perfectly acceptable hat that I wear often.

Last edited:
With the arrival of my latest hat from Michael Gannon I now have three custom fedoras in blue felt.

Custom Agnoulita rabbit fur felt in suede finished marine blue:

View attachment 348303 View attachment 348304

Custom Gannon beaver in navy:

View attachment 348305 View attachment 348306

Custom Gannon nutria in midnight:

View attachment 348307 View attachment 348308

And group photos:

View attachment 348309 View attachment 348310 View attachment 348311 View attachment 348312 View attachment 348310

The marine blue Agnoulita is made from Tonak’s rabbit fur felt. The felt is light and has minimal stiffeners in it. It can almost be wadded into a ball. The felt is lower density and a bit spongey. The color is lighter than the others.

The Gannon navy is made from Winchester’s 100% beaver fur felt. It is the densest of the hats and the crown is thin and accepts most dry creasing (a bit of steam helps to hold the shape). The color is the darkest of the three and the hardest to accurately capture in photos.

The Gannon midnight is made from 100% nutria fur felt sourced from Sunrise Hat Supply. The felt is thicker than the beaver and the hat is the heaviest of the three. The hand is exceptional and the crown is very soft and the brim noticeably firmer. The crown shapes with minimal pressure, but it springs back much more than the beaver. The felt holds its shape easily with some steam, but it’s not the “dead” shapes like clay kind of felt.

For color, I like the midnight nutria the best. For felt characteristics, I prefer the beaver. I really like them both and have no regrets getting them both. The Agnoulita in marine blue is a nice hat that is soft, conforms to my heard perfectly, and is easy to travel with. However, it’s immediately apparent when handling the hats that the Agnoulita is outclassed by the others, but it’s a perfectly acceptable hat that I wear often.
What a trio in blue! Both of the Gannons are fabulous.. but that midnight is a real head turner!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Three hats in blue are a delight to behold together.
Interesting analysis of the three and the Brent's conclusions.
Personally I have some reservations about the colors of the Winchester beaver felts, I have often found them a bit too "unfaithful" in shade and light, but it is my impression.
Be that as it may: congratulations:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner