Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

Give me your tired, your poor, your best
Your huddled hats yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
And I’ll take pictures of them and compare them to others:)

Yes, you did a nice job. I really like that Churchill 50 and it was quite interesting to see just how simular it is to the 7XCB.......you would think they came from the same place......:eek:........
Yep, good hats to read about and well........ to get one if you can!;) These hats DO deserve Freedom and Sunshine !!! As do many others I am sure.....yes Stefan....you are quite a team member......you do justify, assist, an encourage us in out hat endeavors.....
THANK YOU teammate! High five!
SnappyIllfatedAmericanshorthair-size_restricted.gif

YOU truly deserve to be in the Hat Hall of Fame!!
(And so do Brent, Stephen, Steve, Daniele and a good deal many here at the Lounge!)

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
How about some pine green with your morning coffee?

During my early morning dog soirée I wore a Stetson Playboy. The pine green is a unique felt hue. Arriving home I thought it would be interesting to have a Whippet and Stratoliner in the same felt hue join for a group pic this morning.

i-4CsjpQ8-M.jpg

i-gphcxDP-M.jpg

i-JCGzJn4-M.jpg

Our low sun combined with the warmth and humidity have the pics not accurately presenting the colors. I think they do a mostly good job portraying this small part of the history of Stetsons hats from the same decade.

Cheers. Be safe, be strong and see you on the streets soon, Eric -

Three Ultra Light Weight Borsalino - Side by Side

F766EF66-B629-4E9C-9F54-AD96889804A7.jpeg

Borsalino Debrosan - SFINGE (Light Tan)
Borsalino Qualita Supreme - Feather Weight (Brown)
Borsalino Qualita Superiore (Black)

I wanted to do a side by side comparison on my three ultra lightweight Borsalino fedoras. As would be expected all three have very thin, very light weight felt that molds with incredible ease. The flip side to that is of course being so thin they can lose their shape easily. The Debrosan probably has the thinnest softest felt but it is very close here.

A8FFC539-5DC9-4858-A2E1-998C6B531D24.jpeg

The brown and black hats both have mid ribbons, while the tan sports a western style three cord. The shortest brim is the black at 2 inches with a raw edge. The brown features a dimensional 2 1/2 inch (2 1/4 sides) raw bri. The Sfinge Checks in as the largest with a 2 1/2 brim all around and very short under brim edge trim. Both the Black and Tan are unlined while the brown is nicely lined and has an oilskin liner tip.

I need to dig out my postal scale to get a weight on these.

0FFACC3C-2240-427B-9CDF-D43812B6E5A1.jpeg

Only one of the three came to me in a coffin box. That was the brown Feather weight. Though it would not surprise me if any of the other two spent time in one as well.

6406600B-52C6-43C7-8898-2BD851B586D4.jpeg

The brown and tan hats were both originally sold in Italy... the brown at Luzzi Roma and the tan Calliada, Livorno while the black was sold at Tao English Outfitters Ltd in Gibraltar.

BFD468A0-2A6B-432F-822A-DE7A0DB8C54E.jpeg

The thin nature of these felts can leave them difficult to keep perfectly shaped... as such the shorter brim of the black is probably my favorite of the three for keeping the crispest lines as a grab and go hat. Though I have to say a like the Hollywood look I managed to get on the brim of the brown one in the photo on the left.

816E330D-8869-4C91-9142-679888707E6C.jpeg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 262052

I wanted to do a side by side comparison on my three ultra lightweight Borsalino fedoras. As would be expected all three have very thin, very light weight felt that molds with incredible ease. The flip side to that is of course being so thin they can lose their shape easily. The Debrosan probably has the thinnest softest felt but it is very close here.

View attachment 262055

The brown and black hats both have mid ribbons, while the tan sports a western style three cord. The shortest brim is the black at 2 inches with a raw edge. The brown features a dimensional 2 1/2 inch (2 1/4 sides) raw bri. The Sfinge Checks in as the largest with a 2 1/2 brim all around and very short under brim edge trim. Both the Black and Tan are unlined while the brown is nicely lined and has an oilskin liner tip.

View attachment 262053

Only one of the three came to me in a coffin box. That was the brown Feather weight. Though it would not surprise me if any of the other two spent time in one as well.

View attachment 262056

The brown and tan hats were both originally sold in Italy... the brown at Luzzi Roma and the tan Calliada, Livorno while the black was sold at Tao English Outfitters Ltd in Gibraltar.

View attachment 262075

The thin nature of these felts can leave them difficult to keep perfectly shaped... as such the shorter brim of the black is probably my favorite of the three for keeping the crispest lines as a grab and go hat. Though I have to say a like the Hollywood look I managed to get on the brim of the brown one in the photo on the left.

View attachment 262054

Thanks for sharing the hat comparison. While the lightweight felt may take different shapes when wearing I imagine they are perfect for your neighborhood's weather. Those hats have traveled a lot of distance during their lifetimes. Very cool hats and great to see them together.

Thanks again. Best, Eric -

Thanks for sharing the hat comparison. While the lightweight felt may take different shapes when wearing I imagine they are perfect for your neighborhood's weather. Those hats have traveled a lot of distance during their lifetimes. Very cool hats and great to see them together.

Thanks again. Best, Eric -
Thanks Eric. That is probably true. Especially the Sfinge... it’s light color felt makes a somewhat cooler wearing hat. And also true they have all traveled further than I.

View attachment 262052

View attachment 262055

View attachment 262053

View attachment 262056

View attachment 262075

View attachment 262054
Great comparison, Joe. Always fun to see the hats side by side. I love my lightweight hats, but as you pointed out: there is a trade off, because their shape can be all over the place.

Great comparison, Joe. Always fun to see the hats side by side. I love my lightweight hats, but as you pointed out: there is a trade off, because their shape can be all over the place.
Thank you Stefan. I like the idea of this thread. Great opportunity to compare and contrast hats that may have a similar thread.

on the lightweights. I’ve had some suggestions to use various stiffeners to make them hold more perfect shape. But for me I think these serve their purpose as is. Not every hat has to be all things for all occasions. Especially in our case.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
No. 1’s

A few observations between these, assumedly, closely made early 1930’s No. 1 quality Stetsons.

Black (Laloo?):
#322 block. 5 1/2” crown and 3 1/2” brim, skinny micro ribbon with frayed ends. Very nice thin felt, takes any dry bash and is in very nice condition. The 2” pebbled textured sweat is barely alive. Even though it looks terrible, it wears shockingly smooth and still remains very pliable. Lot 6373

Tan/Belgian Beaver Color:
#406 block, 7” crown by 5” brim with curl. 1 1/4” cream colored ribbon with frayed ends. I have yet to find an identical Stetson model with those dimensions in any of the amazing catalogs we have here. Thick, sturdy, western weight felt, but in relatively rough condition with several moth buffets and the sap/dead spot. Unlike my other example, this western has a nice sweat in the same pebbled texture, it does have two tears though where the seller had pulled down to photo the size tag. Lot 6387

Both hats have 2” sweats in very different conditions, both have No. 1 quality felts but in different colors, weights and dimensions. I thought this would be an interesting comparison to show the varied range of options in which Stetson offered their No. 1 quality westerns.

1DEE56EE-7820-4C1A-9F41-51EAABF0CC41.jpeg
3CEB1A7A-B232-49C6-AB1B-E7C418AF63EA.jpeg
4F218C18-3CC9-4282-9E4D-FDD23500815C.jpeg
D87E245C-C8A7-428D-8BED-6EABAB7537A0.jpeg
AEA399AC-BAA8-4CDC-8256-6AD12FF8DB02.jpeg
026E0F5A-A6B9-4B3C-99A2-2762C41D8AA8.jpeg
BBF60A19-E6E9-4E55-B197-ED81594D43BF.jpeg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
No. 1’s

A few observations between these, assumedly, closely made early 1930’s No. 1 quality Stetsons.
Nice side by side

Black (Laloo?):
#322 block. 5 1/2” crown and 3 1/2” brim, skinny micro ribbon with frayed ends. Very nice thin felt, takes any dry bash and is in very nice condition. The 2” pebbled textured sweat is barely alive. Even though it looks terrible, it wears shockingly smooth and still remains very pliable. Lot 6373

Tan/Belgian Beaver Color:
#406 block, 7” crown by 5” brim with curl. 1 1/4” cream colored ribbon with frayed ends. I have yet to find an identical Stetson model with those dimensions in any of the amazing catalogs we have here. Thick, sturdy, western weight felt, but in relatively rough condition with several moth buffets and the sap/dead spot. Unlike my other example, this western has a nice sweat in the same pebbled texture, it does have two tears though where the seller had pulled down to photo the size tag. Lot 6387

Both hats have 2” sweats in very different conditions, both have No. 1 quality felts but in different colors, weights and dimensions. I thought this would be an interesting comparison to show the varied range of options in which Stetson offered their No. 1 quality westerns.

View attachment 267219 View attachment 267220 View attachment 267222 View attachment 267221 View attachment 267223 View attachment 267224 View attachment 267225
Nice side by side comparison, Ross.
Good, thorough specs and observations.
Very nice examples of old NO.1s
B

View attachment 262052

View attachment 262055

View attachment 262053

View attachment 262056

View attachment 262075

View attachment 262054

I finally dug out my postal scale from the garage... here are the weights on these three

Borsalino Qualita Superiore Black
64g

Borsalino Debrosan Sfinge (sand tan)
74g

Borsalino Qualitia Suprema Featherweight Brown
74g

The black one is the lightest of the three at just 64g Likely due to the shorter brim and of course no liner.

the wider brim (sides) on the SPINGE and the liner on the feather weight brown cancel each other out and they come in the same weight at 74g.. though the feather weight was teetering between 74 and 76g on the scale so that may be the edge of its tolerance.

5EDAD2A0-B35C-4223-932C-BDF59434D1EE.jpeg
35296571-05E0-46AE-9F02-A0118DAC518A.jpeg
BC027CF3-159B-4925-BDE9-FA5570F4A4C5.jpeg
D099AD9E-068B-470F-A533-1F63AE21E8CD.jpeg
84812BB4-590F-4EFB-BAB7-D4023502F96F.jpeg
So yesterday I realized that David Morgan’s Nullarbor Tan is exactly the same color The Hattery’s (Hats Direct) Taupe Fawn color. Today I realized that those colors are almost the exact color of Winchester’s Limestone. Limestone was one a proprietary color that only VS offered, and though it’s available now to any customer who buys the minimum order for the special dye it’s not very common. Strange that I had never noticed these color similarities before.

View attachment 270025 View attachment 270026 View attachment 270027 View attachment 270028 View attachment 270029 So yesterday I realized that David Morgan’s Nullarbor Tan is exactly the same color The Hattery’s (Hats Direct) Taupe Fawn color. Today I realized that those colors are almost the exact color of Winchester’s Limestone. Limestone was one a proprietary color that only VS offered, and though it’s available now to any customer who buys the minimum order for the special dye it’s not very common. Strange that I had never noticed these color similarities before.
Interesting, Brent. Looks to be the same felt as well. Same batch of hoods sold to different makers perhaps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot