Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for sharing the "Regents." I do enjoy the pic showcase, the contrasting ribbon treatments on similar hats and darn near similar pleated liners. The 50's hats had a lot of variability, in my handling of them. I like that these hats can be creased. Many of the 50's hats I have handled have creases that were factory set. Mostly the creases were well done, but heaven help you if you wish a different crease. They appear to have crown dimensions that are workable.

Thanks again for sharing Bob.

Eric -

Country Steston No. 1 Quality / City Stetson No. 1 Quality

No_1_Side_by_Side_01.jpg

No_1_Side_by_Side_02.jpg

No_1_Side_by_Side_03.jpg

No_1_Side_by_Side_04.jpg

No_1_Side_by_Side_05.jpg

No_1_Side_by_Side_06.jpg

No_1_Side_by_Side_07.jpg

No_1_Side_by_Side_08.jpg

No_1_Side_by_Side_09.jpg

No_1_Side_by_Side_10.jpg

Joe (@Blare) had asked me a couple of days ago about comparing the Stetson Whippet vs. the Mallory Coast to Coast, which is often characterized as Mallory's version of the Whippet.

I don't necessarily find this the case as I find them to have significantly different profiles and attributes. Additionally though I'm not certain, the C2C may pre-date the Whippet.

A few photos for side-by-side comparison (Whippet on the Left, C2C on the right):

Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture3.jpg

The specs for each differ, as the Whippet was sold with a 5 1/2" open crown and the C2C appears to be somewhat factory creased. I realized I'd never popped the crown on this yesterday and when I did, it exhibited a fairly weird bulbous-y rise in the back and a little shorter in the front. The rear clocks in at ~5 1/2", but the front is more like 5 1/4".

I also find the Whippet to be much blockier. The brims are identical at 2 1/2" with a 3/8" binding. The ribbons differ, with the Whippet at 1 1/2" and the C2C at 1 3/8".

Lastly, the Whippet has a very smooth hand, but the C2C is finished just a little fuzzier and has a very soft hand.

So, there are my impressions of these two fine examples of factory hats from the 50s.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Joe (@Blare) had asked me a couple of days ago about comparing the Stetson Whippet vs. the Mallory Coast to Coast, which is often characterized as Mallory's version of the Whippet.

I don't necessarily find this the case as I find them to have significantly different profiles and attributes. Additionally though I'm not certain, the C2C may pre-date the Whippet.

A few photos for side-by-side comparison (Whippet on the Left, C2C on the right):

Picture1.jpg
Jim, beyond the similarities between the two hats, one thing is certain: they are magnificent.
Complimenti

View attachment 468894 View attachment 468895 View attachment 468896

The specs for each differ, as the Whippet was sold with a 5 1/2" open crown and the C2C appears to be somewhat factory creased. I realized I'd never popped the crown on this yesterday and when I did, it exhibited a fairly weird bulbous-y rise in the back and a little shorter in the front. The rear clocks in at ~5 1/2", but the front is more like 5 1/4".

I also find the Whippet to be much blockier. The brims are identical at 2 1/2" with a 3/8" binding. The ribbons differ, with the Whippet at 1 1/2" and the C2C at 1 3/8".

Lastly, the Whippet has a very smooth hand, but the C2C is finished just a little fuzzier and has a very soft hand.

So, there are my impressions of these two fine examples of factory hats from the 50s.
Thank you Jim. I concur with your observations. The whippet does seem to have a bit blockier crown and the C2C a factory crease. My new C2C actually has a slightly shorter brim at 2 3/8 but I think that is more to do with it likely being later in the run.

Finishing differences probably start to diminish as Mallory was being more integrated into Stetson processes ect.

Is your C2C designated as “Aristocrat Quality“ as well? Though I have not noticed a real discernible difference between aristocrat and premier qualities of same age. Era seems to have more effect than quality level.

Jim, beyond the similarities between the two hats, one thing is certain: they are magnificent.
Complimenti

Thank you, Daniele

Thank you Jim. I concur with your observations. The whippet does seem to have a bit blockier crown and the C2C a factory crease. My new C2C actually has a slightly shorter brim at 2 3/8 but I think that is more to do with it likely being later in the run.

Finishing differences probably start to diminish as Mallory was being more integrated into Stetson processes ect.

Is your C2C designated as “Aristocrat Quality“ as well? Though I have not noticed a real discernible difference between aristocrat and premier qualities of same age. Era seems to have more effect than quality level.

It's Aristocat Quality, and I think a contemporary of yours. Mine has the same paper label as yours. I figured maybe the brim width was because of the smaller size.

Thank you, Daniele

It's Aristocat Quality, and I think a contemporary of yours. Mine has the same paper label as yours. I figured maybe the brim width was because of the smaller size.
Interesting. Very possible. Would make sense to do so. So many times manufacturers did not change brim and crown dimensions as the hats went up in size. As evidenced by the stark difference in proportions for the same hat in my size versus Brent.

Then there is my dark brown “Premiere Quality“ that is slightly dimensional 2 1/2 to the front 2 3/8 on the sides. That one though is a 7 LO

Mighty44

One Too Many

Drop dead gorgeous, both of them.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Thanks for sharing your special hats. Cheers, Eric -

Here is a side by side I have been wanting to do of these two very similar hats. A mid 1950s Stetson 3X Beaver Quality with Tri-Cord Ribbon and brim binding compared with a similar era Borsalino Ludoita also trimmed in the same styling with bound brim and tri-cord ribbon.

B5519C09-0A1F-4D4F-9161-57F63FA42C51.jpeg

These hats are so similar I think if not for the different creases (and of course insides) I might be hard pressed to tell them apart. In addition to the ribbon treatments They have similar proportions both sporting 3 inch brims. The felt on both is thicker more heavier Weight felts more in line with Open Road than say thinner lighter weight Stratoliner. As such while you can shape both dry by hand… they mold and hold shape much better with steam. The color of the 3X a bit more to the tan/yellow tones with the Ludoita Crema a bit more neutral in tone.

6B892185-7AF6-488F-B25E-8093FF6ADCD6.jpeg

when it comes to hand.. they are also VERY close… though I’d give the edge in smoothness to the Borsalino. Probably due to the whatever small percentage of Beaver in the 3X’s felt might make it slightly rougher. That said… In a bit of an unfair aside…. They both pale in comparison to my late 40s early 50s 7XCB in terms of both shaping and hand. But for this side by side…. They measure up quite comparably

299A7290-1C7E-4FDB-A0FA-2B6BA57191B2.jpeg

The Borsalino almost seems to have a bit fuller blockier crown. This may have to do with how I have the 3X shaped… as I didn’t open both these crowns up for the side by side.

000BBB61-6E3C-46CA-AFD2-049921A54D12.jpeg

One tiny detail of difference…. It almost appears the tri-cord ribbon of the Stetson has a tad bit more texture. Giving it more of a vintage look. The Ludoita also features a wind cord. Though I’m not a huge fan of the stretchy Borsalino cords as they can kinda be unpredictable in how they will lay after years of aging.

ED963AF6-1429-4350-A08B-8B1EA8765DBF.jpeg

If I have to give a slight edge to either of these hats… in a direct hand to hand side by side maybe I might lean slightly to the Borsalino Ludoita. But I could probably go either way on that on any given day. In all actuality the two hats are almost identical in terms of styling, quality and feel.

Here is a side by side I have been wanting to do of these two very similar hats. A mid 1950s Stetson 3X Beaver Quality with Tri-Cord Ribbon and brim binding compared with a similar era Borsalino Ludoita also trimmed in the same styling with bound brim and tri-cord ribbon.

View attachment 493595
These hats are so similar I think if not for the different creases (and of course insides) I might be hard pressed to tell them apart. In addition to the ribbon treatments They have similar proportions both sporting 3 inch brims. The felt on both is thicker more heavier Weight felts more in line with Open Road than say thinner lighter weight Stratoliner. As such while you can shape both dry by hand… they mold and hold shape much better with steam. The color of the 3X a bit more to the tan/yellow tones with the Ludoita Crema a bit more neutral in tone.

View attachment 493596

when it comes to hand.. they are also VERY close… though I’d give the edge in smoothness to the Borsalino. Probably due to the whatever small percentage of Beaver in the 3X’s felt might make it slightly rougher. That said… In a bit of an unfair aside…. They both pale in comparison to my late 40s early 50s 7XCB in terms of both shaping and hand. But for this side by side…. They measure up quite comparably

View attachment 493597

The Borsalino almost seems to have a bit fuller blockier crown. This may have to do with how I have the 3X shaped… as I didn’t open both these crowns up for the side by side.

View attachment 493598

One tiny detail of difference…. It almost appears the tri-cord ribbon of the Stetson has a tad bit more texture. Giving it more of a vintage look. The Ludoita also features a wind cord. Though I’m not a huge fan of the stretchy Borsalino cords as they can kinda be unpredictable in how they will lay after years of aging.

View attachment 493599

If I have to give a slight edge to either of these hats… in a direct hand to hand side by side maybe I might lean slightly to the Borsalino Ludoita. But I could probably go either way on that on any given day. In all actuality the two hats are almost identical in terms of styling, quality and feel.
Great comparison, Joe. Fine looking hats, both of them.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday and today I wore hats that have a great resemblance to each other. I paired them up on a pine branch this morning out of curiousity. I am sharing some comparison pics. Both hats were sold at Hurley's Canada.

Yesterday I wore a 30's Borsolino.

i-cVk8JPq-M.jpg

This morning I wore a 30's cool white Brock hat (manufactured by the Wolthausen Hat Company in Canada).

i-9nJfk8R-M.jpg

Collage pic.

i-C5QRM7J-M.jpg

The cool white Brock and light gray Borsolino share felt characteristics, appear to have similar blocking, same brim treatment, similar leather sweats and ribbon material.

i-w4QXFGK-M.jpg

i-83c9mVX-M.jpg

i-2mGZNfK-M.jpg

i-nBKgCW2-M.jpg

i-ZxvFcHg-M.jpg

i-Cv7Fgz4-M.jpg

i-cbNKz8K-M.jpg

i-RRTdxXK-M.jpg

There are of course differences - bow, sweat treatment (distinctive of the unlined Borsolio's) and leather sweat treatment.

I am struck by how similar the hats are. They are both lovely examples of the 30's hat styles that I see in periodical advertisements.

BTW: More on the Brock hats here - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/brock-hats.91490/page-2

Thanks for letting me share my curiousity. Cheers, Eric -

Yesterday and today I wore hats that have a great resemblance to each other. I paired them up on a pine branch this morning out of curiousity. I am sharing some comparison pics. Both hats were sold at Hurley's Canada.

Yesterday I wore a 30's Borsolino.

i-cVk8JPq-M.jpg

This morning I wore a 30's cool white Brock hat (manufactured by the Wolthausen Hat Company in Canada).

i-9nJfk8R-M.jpg

Collage pic.

i-C5QRM7J-M.jpg

The cool white Brock and light gray Borsolino share felt characteristics, appear to have similar blocking, same brim treatment, similar leather sweats and ribbon material.

i-w4QXFGK-M.jpg

i-83c9mVX-M.jpg

i-2mGZNfK-M.jpg

i-nBKgCW2-M.jpg

i-ZxvFcHg-M.jpg

i-Cv7Fgz4-M.jpg

i-cbNKz8K-M.jpg

i-RRTdxXK-M.jpg

There are of course differences - bow, sweat treatment (distinctive of the unlined Borsolio's) and leather sweat treatment.

I am struck by how similar the hats are. They are both lovely examples of the 30's hat styles that I see in periodical advertisements.

BTW: More on the Brock hats here - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/brock-hats.91490/page-2

Thanks for letting me share my curiousity. Cheers, Eric -
Both are wonderful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk