Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silverbelly stains

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Hello! I bought a Stetson Open Road as my summer hat, so I fully expected to end up with a sweat-stained hat - eventually. I've been a little surprised at how well the sweatband actually channels sweat to the felt through the hat's stitching. It's also pretty good at deflecting sweat to the underside of the front brim, as shown.
114600277.jpg

114600275.jpg

Plan A is to continue wearing the hat every day, sweat a lot more and give the hat a patina of wear. But in the short term, is there anything I can do to clean/lighten/less-grossify the current stains?

Thanks, Z

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I know how you are feeling - but brush it and let it patina over the longer term. Will look well used, like it should be. It`s going to get a nice look as the months wear on...

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Just plain water bath will take care of most sweat stains. It's mostly salt that you wash away. Just don't spot clean it, but rather spray the entire underbrim Deanzat.

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Art Fawcett said:
Just plain water bath will take care of most sweat stains. It's mostly salt that you wash away. Just don't spot clean it, but rather spray the entire underbrim Deanzat.

Thanks. I was wondering if a good rain soaking would fix it up. But since it's probably not going to rain around here before November, I guess the distilled water spray bottle is coming out of retirement. Thanks again! Z

CRH

Call Me a Cab
deanzat said:
Wow. I did as Art suggested and the stains are just gone! Doh!

Thanks, man! Z

That makes sense now that I think about it. I've seen grease stains going all the way through the felt miraculously disappear after a steam application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy