Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single or Double Breasted Suits?

Suit Type?

• Single Breasted Suit

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Double Breasted Suit

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
I find that DS suits are generally very formal in a conservative way and, forgive me for saying so, 'stiff upperlippish'. However, it largely depends on the wearers general charisma. They can also come accross rather bland ...

Double breasted suits I would say are more for men of a slimish and straight build, average height or over.

The DB suit visually add 'meat' to the wearer. The cut of the lapels may make its appearance less 'beafy' as well as the distance of the buttons, but it still adds to the volume.

And when a DS does not fit just right, they pull in and distort in an awkward ways.

I like a 3-piece suit, in particular with contrasting materials.

Therefore my vote gererally goes for single breasted.

This I find a bad examples of DS suits ...
141s9qq.jpg

A bland example:
rs7oly.jpg

An excellent example:
350jl7a.jpg

An excellent 3-piece suit example:
wiul9j.jpg

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I like the look of DB - I just got one from Tom James - but I voted for SB because it's a timeless look and always in style. When DB is "in" they look great; when they're out you might as well wear a Nehru jacket.

2 button SB three piece is my favorite.

DCMark

New in Town
I've always liked DB suits, probably because, until I hit 50, I was always skinny. Now I've got a little belly, so I don't know if it's the best look for me anymore. I have recently bought some 3-piece SB suits and 3-piece DBs too. I love the snugness of a vest and I guess that's also a reason I like DBs.

My vote goes to suits with a single breasted jacket.....

(especially when they come with a single breasted vest).

IMO, coats (be it morning coats, overcoats or tailcoats), jackets and vests that are double breasted and high cut single breasted only look good on people whose torso length is a minimum of 3'. My torso length and leg length are each 2' 10¾" (making my height is 5’ 9½”).

However, IMPO (IMPO, in this case, meaning in most people’s opinions; IMPO also means in many people’s opinions, but, again, not in this case), low cut, low medium cut, medium cut and high medium cut single breasted coats (all morning coats, all tailcoats, all formal jackets and all formal vests should always be low cut only, IMO), jackets and vests look good on everybody.

Overcoats should be high cut (without being excessively high cut) no matter what.

Last edited:

draws

Practically Family
I am 6' 185lbs. I have several double breasted suits and do like the look. That being said, I really prefer the single breasted 2 button vested suit. I do wish that the high rise suit pants would come back into fashion so that they wouldn't show below the vest so long as the vest is of the proper length (i.e. 6 button model).

Zamyatin

New in Town
I am ALL about double-breasted. I like details and complexity, and there is simply more going on with double-breasted. You get twice the buttons and more striking asymmetry. Not to mention lapels! My favorite item is the double-breasted peak lapel vest. I wish I had more than one. There is something so authoritative about double-breasted. It's always an uncommon choice as well. Not to mention a little warmer.

I'm 6'1", 155, with long legs.

Also, who cares if stuffs out or in? The fashion world always takes my lead sometime after. Who cares what those designers think? They lost me when they started using sterile women as models. Stylish clothes are about making EVERYONE look good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails