Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skin Bleaching the safe way...

pumori

New in Town
First of all: I'm so sorry if this topic has come up before, but I searched the other threads and didn't find much. I've heard a lot about the dangers of bleaching skin- and how many products contain chemicals that can cause serious damage in the long term. I have naturally olive-ish skin tone, made worse by years of running around outside when I was little with almost no protection from bright sun. I would love to be able to lighten my skin at least enough to get rid of all the ruddiness and imperfections- I'm not expecting to get lovely porcelain white skin however. The best natural ways to do it seem to be raw potatoes and lemon juice. Any other olive-toned ladies tried any of these? Does anyone out there have a good recipe or technique that's worked?

pumori

New in Town
Thank you! I'm sorry, I didn't know there was already a thread on this. I figured there wouldn't be a 'safe' method of doing it...I just hoped the home remedies would be a bit more effective.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Though i am very pale I am also very prone to turned very tan i the sun. I am half Cuban ad if I don't wear the highest SPF possible I turn brown very quickly. I key to get the lightest skin possible for you is to always were sunscreen. As for the sun damage I would suggest visiting a dermatologist to help you with that problem. I hope that helps.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
There may be no safe way to bleach your skin, but there are skin lightening creams that are safe.

I decided that I didn't like my facial freckles a few years ago and managed to lighten them a lot. I used to use a Chanel lotion, but it was discontinued. It was really good, but the only thing they have to replace it is $350/per 1.7 oz Sublimage cream. I used a sample of Sublimage and got compliments on my skin, but I really can't afford to use this anymore.

So, I use spf every day and a cream with vitamin C, licorice root extract, kojic acid, mulberry etc. These are fairly gentle on my skin and don't irritate it, they act by reducing melanin production. Vitamin C is the ingredient in lemon juice that lightens skin a little, but honestly lemon juice is rather drying. A vitamin C cream, like the Body Shop one I use now is okay.

Shiseido has a really nice whitening line too, though it isn't cheap. The main thing is avoid hydroquinone, it might cause cancer.

Also, a dermatologist can lighten your skin. It isn't risk free, there is always the possibility of damage with a procedure, but they can do it. You can read about skin lightening in Wikipedia too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_whitening

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
My best suggestion is to see a dermatologist for the ruddiness/imperfections/skin damage and then learn to love the skin tone that God gave you :)

Antje

One Too Many
KittyT said:
My best suggestion is to see a dermatologist for the ruddiness/imperfections/skin damage and then learn to love the skin tone that God gave you :)

This is well said :eusa_clap

I like my pale tone but I am more pleased when my skin is not upset like lately, with my acne and things,
I'd rather have a not upset skin than making it as pale as possible

( My skin is really bugging me lately bleeh)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Antje said:
This is well said :eusa_clap

I like my pale tone but I am more pleased when my skin is not upset like lately, with my acne and things,
I'd rather have a not upset skin than making it as pale as possible

I tried very hard to be pale for a long time, but my skin won't have it and it doesn't look best on me. My arms tan very easily, so I will occasionally use self-tanner to even things out on my shoulders/chest/neck/face, but only in the summer time when I'm showing skin. The rest of the time, I'm content with just dealing with the things that are real problems like zits/blemishes, dryness, etc and wearing sunscreen.

pumori

New in Town
Thank you all for your advice :) I should probably set up an appointment with a dermatologist anyway, because I've never been to one, and it seems wise to seek out professional advice before launching into something.
Who knows, maybe clearing up my skin a little with give me a much needed boost of confidence. I haven't been feeling very good about myself recently and I'm trying everything I can to combat it...

kekecat

New in Town
Hi there,

I think what your looking for is something to even out your skintone rather than bleach it. If you are fairly pale anyway this will be all you need to do. Obviously the whole sunscreen tip is also a must.

I am super pale and so red patches and spots show up like beacons :eek: I find that using Panoxyl cream on my spots reduces redness (and treats the spots) and also calamine lotion evens my skintone. Lush's Fresh Farmacy soap does a similar job to just using lotion.

Other than that I can't really think of anything else.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Look for creams that contain liquorish. Worked for me. Didn't lighten my skin tone and that's not what I wanted to achieve, I just wanted to fade out some coloration differences and it did that pretty well. Mine was a cheap Oriflame cream. It took several months but rather that than harsher and less safe methods. I tan even if I wear the highest spf and I don't really care but I don't try to tan either because I know it can cause pigment spots and discolorations which is typical for people of a darker complexion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou