Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
It very well could fade away after a while and who knows, in 10 years or so someone could make a remake of it that might be better in some aspects than the original... but as far as this movie goes: I really liked it, though I, too, was not enthralled with Ms. Paltrow's acting.
Allen

RyFranzese24

Familiar Face
I agree with Gatsby. I loved it, but Paltrow didn't really match the feel of the movie. I still loved it. Good adventure, cool cinematography, and nice visual style. Reminds me of "The Lost World" and "Flash Gordon." Pulpy

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Here is another Sci Fi retro 30's that I have in my collection. Wonderfully "vintage-enhanced" for the silver screen!
See it again for the first time.

sky_captain_and_the_world_of_tomorrow_verdvd.jpg

In 1939, an intrepid reporter in New York City makes a connection between the story she's covering-- of famous scientists suddenly disappearing around the world, and a recent attack on the city by giant robots. Determined to find the solution to these happenings, she seeks the help of her ex-boyfriend, the captain of a mercenary legion of pilots. The two are investigating the case when the robots attack the city again, though in a stroke of luck, Sky Captain's right hand man is able to locate their source. They then set off on an adventure in search of the evil mastermind behind these schemes, who is bent on creating a utopia and destroying the current world.

Starius

Practically Family
I just picked up Sky Captain from a Walmart bargain bin for 5 bucks.

I remember enjoying the movie quite a bit, but I love the old classic serials The Phantom Empire and Undersea Kingdom. Either way, not a bad purchase for 5 bucks.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My biggest objection to that movie was the absurd helicopter aircraft carriers in the sky. They should have been dirigibles! It would have been much cooler. And to have dozens of them up there! Talk about bankrupting the British Empire! But I must say, also, that looking back, I have to agree with the verdict on Paltrow. But I still loved it.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
It's funny that this thread was revived, I have been listening to the soundtrack again this week.

And everyone knows that this is science fiction/fantasy right? We all know that P-40s don't swim and carriers don't fly. Those are not really valid critiques. Paltrow sucking, that is valid.;)

This movie is really a Diesel Punk epic, it breaks none of those rules (as few as there are).

Earp

One of the Regulars
One of my favorite movies despite the average plot. Every frame of this movie is like a painting. It perfectly captured the look and feeling of a 1930's or 1940's science fiction, "Amazing Stories" magazine cover kind of look. I watch it just for the nostalgic, art deco, serials of my youth, beauty of it. (I was an art major in college. Kerry Conran captured the look and feel of a genre.)

I wish they would make a sequel with a better story and a different lead actress. Reminded me of a bigger budget version of the old serials I love so much like "Undersea Kingdom", "The Phantom Empire", the Flash Gordon Serials with Buster Crabb, and the Max Fleischer "Superman" cartoons. Big fun for a big kid.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, the thing that bugged me about the P-40 splashing into the drink was that I could believe it of the plane dove to just above the water, flattened out for a moment to dissipate the momentum, THEN dipped into the water and retracted it wings. It was the impact that made too ridiculous for me. I suppose it's a subjective issue where we suspend our disbelief. For a movie like this, it should be at the door.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
The only problem I had with it was refering twice to World War One in 1939. I would rather they said the Great War or at least the World War.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Jerekson

One Too Many
Ah, I remember watching this in the theatre...

Like many others here, I only saw it that one time.

It was a fun movie. It was one of those kind of films where everything is unrealistic and impossible...but it's not stupid enough that you walk away. Something just keeps you watching it.

Kind of like the 1980's Superman movies...

Now I'm wanting to watch it again :rolleyes:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Not much acting going on outside of the villians, and that mostly of the "over-" variety.

New York in "1940" looked like a video game, with obvious computer generated newspapers.

"Polly Perkins"? C'mon. This ain't Dick Tracy.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Not much acting going on outside of the villians, and that mostly of the "over-" variety.

New York in "1940" looked like a video game, with obvious computer generated newspapers.

"Polly Perkins"? C'mon. This ain't Dick Tracy.

Villains? There were villains in Sky Captain? Wasn't the whole thing just a shaggy dog story with an out-take of Laurence Olivier "acting" at the end as the "villain"?

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Well, the thing that bugged me about the P-40 splashing into the drink was that I could believe it of the plane dove to just above the water, flattened out for a moment to dissipate the momentum, THEN dipped into the water and retracted it wings. It was the impact that made too ridiculous for me. I suppose it's a subjective issue where we suspend our disbelief. For a movie like this, it should be at the door.

I would have preferred they used a fantasy design along the lines of the Crimson Skies type fantasy aircraft, Or the old Bill Barnes series, rather than a P-40. (Personally I'm tired of shark mouthed P-40's)

http://home.att.net/~dannysoar5/temp.htm

Finally sat through (sort of) this rather unwatchable flick. Thought the most intersting thing about it was this:

2005_01_LESDEATH.jpg

This actress was shot during a robbery after she taunted the gunman with 'What are you going to do, shoot us?'

I had to rewind Sky Captain when I heard Polly Perkins say, 'What are you going to do, shoot me?'

The girl thought she was smart by imitating a character. What a dope. Now dead. Interesting footnote to the picture. I googled the quote, but no one else seems to have put the two together.

REgards,

Senator Jack

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I find it cheap I'll pick it up just to have it in my retro-future collection. I liked the visuals when I saw it but neither the story nor the acting grabbed me. I usually like Jude Law -- loved him in Gattaca (speaking of retro-future!) and in Talented Mr. Ripley and he almost made A.I. endurable. In my ever, ever, ever so humble opinion.

zeus36

A-List Customer
I watched the flick in the theaters around three or four times (I have alot of free time) and bought the DVD last month for $4.99 at a used record shop in Santa Barbara.

I hope they produce some similar films in the 30's/40's SCI FI vein.

CGI seems to be picking up. Sin City and The 300 come to mind.

Edward

Bartender
The Wolf said:
The only problem I had with it was refering twice to World War One in 1939. I would rather they said the Great War or at least the World War.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

When did the 'World War Two' terminology start to be used? By 1940, it was in full swing (remember, the US was somewhat late to the party.... ;) ), but I don't know when exactly it came to be known as WW2. If fairly early, is it plausible that SC (wasn't the character English? It's been three years since I last watched it) might have referred to it as WW2 if Brits typically did by 1940, which might logically lead to the WW1 nomenclature. It does seem a little out of place, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner