Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slippers

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Here's a repost of the slipper thread.

I'll wear a pair of slippers in the evening. The pair I currently own are from L. B. Evans.

slippers02.jpg

Most welted shoe makers offer slippers but I haven't seen any from Alden. The range of materials can be from leather to velvet and sometimes fur-lined. You can get your initials on them too if you so desire.

It's good to put them on when you come home from work and want to relax. The classic image of a dog bringing a man his slippers while smoking his pipe comes to mind. Or, you could put them on in the morning and greet guests if they so happen to come over and still look stylish.

This Norman Rockwell photo shows that countless clothing styles from the 1930's remain unchanged and are still attractive.

Going_to_church.jpg

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Smoking Jacket

Yes. My dad and I retired to his loft on Christmas afternoon for a pipe smoke and mixed drink. I wore the slippers all weekend long while I was inside. I have a second, less expensive, pair that I'll put on to shortly go outside. These have a soft leather sole that concrete will destroy if I wear them too much outside. I suggest getting a pair that has a soft leather upper but a hard, shoe-like sole on the bottom. L. B. Evans has a few like that as does Church's.

As far as jackets go, I never found one that fit me. In the thread, someone mentioned I should just use and old tux jacket. And, that has worked for the time being. I'll post a pic when my ISP gets back up and running. They are worth having as my jacket has saved many shirts from the occasional stray hot ash. As Matt pointed out, they can run from $998 at Brooks Brothers to $1300 at a Ralph Lauren store I visited.

Lauren mentioned that she has a vintage pattern and can make a smoking jacket in velvet or satin. I am going to commission her in 2005 for one.

Pyro.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Where are my slippers?

I am looking for tradtional velvet slippers, like the Victorian ones with lions, inicials, etc. on them. Where can I get the best quality ones in London, because I want to go in the shop.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Termq

Didn't the Victorians call them carpet slippers? There are many stories of President Lincoln padding about the house in his carpet slippers, which he wore with the heels smashed down due to his feet being larger than the slippers available at the time. I saw a pair of his slippers once. Neat, neat stuff.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Opera Slippers

These aren't velvet, but I thought I might continue the thread, if you don't mind.

Opera Slippers

I found them at Dillard's today, on sale for $12. Leather uppers and sole. I'd been wanting some opera slippers, so these will work nicely. They only came in black, though. I had wanted brown, but at that price, I won't complain. Pretty comfy so far. Now, I just need a smoking jacket and a pipe! :)

Brad

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Did you ever commission Lauren for the jacket?

As I have been thinking about doing exactly the same thing for a 30's style smoking jacket that will double up as a dressing gown! I know the colours and the look of the jacket I am after.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Where are my slippers?

Was a time you could walk into a store and buy a good pair of slippers to wear around the house. Now they are rare and seldome comfortable. When did the high end mogul companies become the only ones to make slippers like these?

When you do find them they cost 700 dollars and have on them a crazy logo.
pPOLO2-2476467_standard_v330.jpg

find me some vintage burgundy ones with no logo please.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I have a pair of handmade slippers from the sheep and wool festival. Big sheepskin things. I've had my pair a couple years now, and they're just about shot. I guess I'll have to make due with them 'till april.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Christmas Gift this year

I'm wearing these quite a bit. Very comfortable, real leather, burgundy in color, and around $40.

f01335_dt.jpg

I looked for a year. Thank goodness Santa took the hint.
Well, he didn't. I used a gift certificate.

They only come in whole sizes. My experience says if you are a half size, go down a half size. I'm 10.5, mine are size 10, and fit perfectly (though they need some break-in time.

They are exactly like those I see in Esquire from the '30's, which was my main criteria.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
If you can't find your burgundy ones, I highly recommend moccasins, they're sooo warm and comfy, not exactly vintage though, unless you find a pair from the 40's.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mysteriously disappeared

I'm trying to find the nice pair I purchased for my dad, in hopes that if I see them I will remember where I got them from. He was diabetic late in life, and I insisted that if he were going to do the boxer-short shuffle he needed to at least have bedroom slippers on!

Speedster

Practically Family
J?ºnemann's Pant??ffel

p01.jpg

Not as elegant as the leather slippers, but quite charming, completely handmade and i like the history.

Started in 1908 by Bernhard J?ºnemann in Magdeburg in Germany. Now in Berlin the small shop is operated by father and son (4th generation). Last time i was in Berlin i bought a pair for myself and for my father. At around EUR 10.- they are very cheap.

Their website here: http://www.pantoffeleck.de/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy