Small Questions:

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Boyo, Aug 9, 2019.

1. felix03

felix03 One of the Regulars

Good idea Boyo! One thing I always wondered but never thought it merited its own thread: How does water exposure cause grain to develop?

El Marro and Boyo like this.
  2. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

@felix03 .. I’m no expert by any means but could it be as simple as the water washing or stripping some of the wax or oils from the outer layer of the hide and uncovering the texture underneath?

* Edit
    Sales pitch from a leather conditioner
    “leather can get wet - but it’s not a great idea. The main problem when you get leather wet actually arises as the leather dries. When leather gets wet, the oils in the leather bind to the water molecules. As the water dries and evaporates, it draws out the oils with it. The leather’s loss of natural oils causes it to lose its supple quality and turn brittle.”

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    felix03 likes this.
  3. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Release. I’ve become really critical of fit for myself. Best garment in a bad fit reduces my enjoyment too much.

Boyo likes this.
  4. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

I have found that a jacket that seems a bit tight around the gut can often soar in my estimation if I get on the rowing machine and cut down on the noodles. Sadly, sleeves that are too short can't be amended even by mild starvation.

If a jacket has become one that I'm comfortable in - regardless of fit (sleeves can be a bit too long or the body is a bit baggy) - I'll keep the jacket regardless of what anyone thinks (same with flannel shirts).

Boyo likes this.
  5. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I wouldn't wear or hang onto jackets that are so short.

As I've written before, the really short jacket probably works best if you have the body of a 15 year-old boy.

But some fit issues, like slightly wide shoulders or a slightly too long sleeve, don't worry me.

Like Monitor - who put it very well - I get bored with a certain fit after a while and need to see and wear something different from time to time.

I would keep a jacket that is a little loose but never one that is too trim or too short.

Boyo likes this.
  6. ai00344

ai00344 One of the Regulars

A big +1 on this for me. Too short is a deal breaker for me (makes me feel super self conscious)

Boyo likes this.
  7. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

I guess Vanson has sold a ton of Comets to 15-year-old boys.

If you’re not tall or overweight and if you’re reasonably fit, a shorter jacket will work for you.

Carlos840 and torfjord like this.
  8. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I actually have grown to like shorter jackets as an option. Not the 21” ones, but 23.5” is great with military trousers that are higher rise than my jeans.

Gamma68 likes this.
  9. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

I'm growing fonder of shorter jackets too. The Johnson Leather jacket I posted in the WAYT-thread the other day has a 24" backlength and easily covers belt in my midrise jeans. If I was to buy a crosszip, I would want it to be shorter in the back, like 23" but with some extra length in the front as I find the length issue is never in the back but in the front where trousers sit lower than in the back.

Gamma68 likes this.
  10. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I personally like a short jacket - that's one that at minimum covers my belt-buckle - but I've got a small frame and legs a bit longer than than my waist size, so I can get away with it. The problem with a short jacket on someone carrying a bit of timber is that it tends to emphasis the girth which can be unflattering.

felix03 likes this.
  11. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yeah - must have, it's a horrid look for most adult males. :D As you say - not tall, not overweight and reasonably fit.

12. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

That's it in a nutshell. If it's over the belt I don't consider it particularly short

13. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Anything above the belt we're in bolero territory and that's not somewhere I'm willing to stray.

14. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

This is me too, I think. I like trying all sorts of styles, but I'm no collector - I want to wear the jackets I get. And if I don't wear them (often), back into circulation they go to fund further experiments.

handymike and ton312 like this.
  15. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

I started as a serial wearer, accidentally turned into a collector, re-evaluated the situation & moved most on (other than daily rides & hard to get pieces that fit well). My loft & wardrobes are much happier for it as am I...not overwhelmed by choice anymore :)

Sloan1874 and El Marro like this.
  16. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I have a rotating list in my head of jacket styles that I want. As I tick those off, my acquisitions slow. That said, sometimes I see something that just calls my name. I’m hoping this weekend that there will be Windward which does the job...

Edward, bn1966, El Marro and 2 others like this.
  17. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

If I were in your position, I'd talk to Aero to make me a Windward with some front drop. I tried that design once and while 23" backlength did cover my belt in the back, it unfortunately was too short in the front. Most vtg Windwards have that frontdrop and imho the Aero incarnation misses it deeply.

18. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

It'll be interesting to see what turns up at the sale. I'm not Jonesing for anything really at the moment, but you never know it until you see it...

Boyo likes this.
  19. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

@Sloan1874 I am hoping that you'll bring your camera and share some of the finer details of the sale with those of us not attending?
    Also..If you aren't a daily checker of the Aero sales pages like I am there has been a nice influx of jackets posted lately in all sizes as well as a slight reorganization in how the items are displayed.. they're now displayed by jacket size which I find quite helpful...( potentially costly)

AbbaDatDeHat and handymike like this.
  20. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden Practically Family

Aero have a Windward in their used jacket selection-size 46