Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Small Questions:

Taking the mis-matched grain thing too far?

View attachment 187241

A new jacket from the Japanese brand Warehouse.
Mismatched grain panels have never bothered me...TBH I don't understand the objection to it, as the material is organic and with wear will even out over time regardless of the start point...smooth hide never stays smooth!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings All:
SHIPPING FROM UK TO US:

Can anyone please tell me how shipping an eBay jacket from the UK (Sussex) to the US works now?
It’s been awhile since i’ve purchased from the UK and i don’t recall any excessive fees in the past.
I know eBay now collects sales tax in the US but do they from abroad?
Is there also import tax or tariffs or fees or whatever based on dollar value?
I’m concerned since reading conversations here by members and excessive charges on top of the auction sale price.
Any help would be appreciated.
I just need to know so i can bid accordingly and not get burned.
As always thank you jacket guys for your expertise and generosity.
.....and of course helping me spend my children’s inheritance.
Be well. Bowen

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Another quick question since i’m here.
How in the heck do you know the weight of leather unless the maker tells you.
Do you mic it or something??
Are we guessing or is there some science here??
B

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Well, when i started i also fell to this "perfect" fit direction, and ended up with a very snug GW, and sold it after few years =) now i bought two new jackets: LW LT in 4oz HH, and FW Mulholland in brown hh, both of them are considered top tier, but point is i even bought them in different sizes. My LW LT is 44 and the purpose of this - to layer a lot and to be able to wear heavy flannels and cozy sweaters etc etc. This jacket will serve more like a winter coat lol =) and FW is 42, and its a "perfect" fit perfect with t-shirt or a shirt or tiny sweater, more for spring/ autumn. Also it's very dependable on other clothes you wear, for example my oversized LW is PERFECT with wide jeans and heavy boots like Whites or Viberg. But with the same stuff FW will look awkward ad unbalanced, i wear FW with slim jean and alden shoes or some common projects sneakers. So right now "fit" for me is a subject to consider based on overall look, wardrobe and season. And definitely i will keep different "fits" in my wardrobe, but only it i like them and i can wear them at least a season per year.
Am thinking the same way. Could you post some fit pics of your FW Mulholland please? It's one of my favorite patterns, so am interested to see how it fits when snug, to wear it with just a shirt or t-shirt, i.e. the same way you prefer to wear it. It should look perfect I suppose (actually, am almost sure), but would like to see how it looks in reality. If possible. Thanks in advance!

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Taking the mis-matched grain thing too far?

View attachment 187241

A new jacket from the Japanese brand Warehouse.
I think it was made intentionally by the maker. It might be conceived by the maker to use such mismatched texture of leather panels on different parts of the jacket, on its left and right halves. It's kind of cool feature, kind of being historically correct for lots of jackets from 40s. It isn't going to look matched any time later, it's the feature the maker possibly initially conceived to emphasize. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

roadking04

Practically Family
How in the heck do you know the weight of leather unless the maker tells you.
Do you mic it or something??

@Abba, I think you can mic it out. I think you get the thickness in millimeters, then convert it to ounces. A simple google search can bring up a conversion table. I would think it would be hard to find a spot to get a measurement though. I am kinda curious also.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
upload_2019-12-12_11-29-31.png

Breaking in new leather

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5zUIffJ6qP/?utm_source=ig_embed

I saw this on anther leather jacket forum.. Dude found a Himel Jacket for $38.. not a bad score..

was his size too.
img_4108-jpg.1311836

img_4109-jpg.1311832

And the best jacket they make. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. I am jealous, in any case.

Doesn't the store check what they're selling? Did it really look like $38 jacket to them!?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
About June last year, depending on a state. Ask your greedy politicians. Ask the Supreme Court. They love to pull money out of your pockets.

Goel

A-List Customer
I've been looking at Mackinaw jackets for a while now but it seems very few people make them today, so I might see if I can get someone to do one for me next winter. I've already decided on a sheepskin liner, but what kind of fabrics would be suitable for the body and where would one get them? It looks like a lot of British mills make some good stuff like Brisbane Moss and Millerain, but you can only buy in bulk I believe and shipping to the US would probably be a pain anyway.

I saw this on another leather jacket forum.. Dude found a Himel Jacket for $38.. not a bad score..

was his size too.
img_4108-jpg.1311836

img_4109-jpg.1311832
What I want to know is what the original owner sold it for. Probably $15. And the natural follow up question...why!?!? Need a hit that bad?

Id bet it was stolen and sold for enough scratch to cover a bump and pack of cancer sticks.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ Most likely this... great find for the owner.

I once found a Schott Steerhide A2 in mint condition in a thrift shop for $8.00 I think it sold for a little more on ebay. But a Himel....wow...

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I've been looking at Mackinaw jackets for a while now but it seems very few people make them today, so I might see if I can get someone to do one for me next winter. I've already decided on a sheepskin liner, but what kind of fabrics would be suitable for the body and where would one get them? It looks like a lot of British mills make some good stuff like Brisbane Moss and Millerain, but you can only buy in bulk I believe and shipping to the US would probably be a pain anyway.

sounds like that's the hardest part.. sourcing the material..

Bronson Clothing make this type of Mackinaw under $200 ... 3 different colors

https://bronsonshop.com/collections/jackets-coats

2_0e770238-87f7-4d4d-b542-9a05d6e7ea25_900x.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points