Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smashing Suit in Mrs. Henderson Presents

otterhound

One of the Regulars
I just finished watching Mrs. Henderson Presents, which is a fantastic film about a London vaudeville house in the '30s. The fabulous Bob Hoskins wears a suit in the movie which I think may be my favorite period suit ever. Here it is:
1.jpg

This picture doesn't do it justice, because it is a shot from the side. If you were to see it from the front, you'd see that it's the waistcoat that makes the suit extraordinary.

The suit is a single-breasted, peak-lapelled brown pinstripe. It has a matching double-breasted, shawl-collar waistcoat. Unlike some of the other DB shawl collar waistcoats I've seen on the web (which are 8-button), this one was lower-slung, perhaps a 4-button. This allows the shawl collar to be considerably longer, which I think improves the waistcoat's drape to n-th degree.

Anyone else seen this movie or similar waistcoats?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Saw the movie and loved it

Mrs Holiday & myself took a trip into the City especially to see it at one of the indie movie theatres. That suit sure is something else. If it was reproduced from an original design by the film's wardrobe team, it's incredibly spot-on. You can clearly see the fabric is the heavier 14 or 16oz wool that Golden Era suits were made from.

I'd like to read more about the actual events that inspired the film. It was a great story and very well rendered and edited.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I loved the movie,not only were the clothes fantastic,but so was the hair and makeup.Though,MK is more of the period makeup guru than I,he'll have to let us know his thoughts as well.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I found the ladies’ clothing, hair, and makeup to be spot-on, especially the scene where you see the close-up of the actress with the blue eye shadow. I have read several vintage magazine articles touting this shade as very of-the-moment for the late 1930s, and as a period makeup-fanatic, thought that scene was rather striking :)

otterhound

One of the Regulars
Correction - It's a peak-lapel vest

On further examination of the Mrs. Henderson Presents DVD, I discovered that Bob Hoskins' brown suit actually has a peak-lapel vest, not the shawl collar I originally thought. The lapels are also really wide, extending to the armholes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner