Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smith and Wesson Model 22 Revolver .45 ACP

eightbore

Suspended
It's a VAST right wing conspiracy! lol :) lol

Seriously, I think the main objective of Lincsong's suggestion is to avoid cluttering Attire and Accouterments with discussions of presumably vintage camp gear, avoid putting guns in people's faces in the Observation Bar and REALLY avoid absolutely freaking someone out with a picture of a dead elephant in a thread titled "old trophy" posted in the Display Case. A realm where vintage aficionados can be all "Tim Allen" if they want makes a bit of sense in the same way that there is a digital realm (two actually) here where women can discuss "Fake Melons" or vintage ways of dealing with menstruation. These are not discussions I really care to read or even wade through elsewhere any more than most women would want to wade through discussions (even vintage ones) that might interest quite a few men on FL.

I don't know the best way to deal with it, and I'm really new here so I won't pretend to be any sort of expert, but I think the lack of useful discussion on these "manly" topics so far may not have been due to a lack of interest in them (just look at the adventure gear thread) but rather I think because people are nervous about skirting too close to issues that might become political in a too "overt" and "public" way as they can't be avoided sitting in the middle of the observation bar or display case. In short, no hunter wants to rub a non-hunters face in vintage trophy photos of dead lions.

[huh]

Best,

eightbore

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Zohar said:
First of all, we're not going to create an individual forum for guns, hunting, fishing, trophies, camouflage, reloading, or other similar things that Eightbore refers to as "Manly Topics". Period.

^^ What he said.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Zohar said:
First of all, we're not going to create an individual forum for guns, hunting, fishing, trophies, camouflage, reloading, or other similar things that Eightbore refers to as "Manly Topics". Period.

Zohar said:
^^ What he said.

Oh sure. Take his side. :D

As one of those who requested a separate area, I did some checking. Even counting the latest group there are only about 70 threads that pop up when searching under firearms, gun, shoot, or holster. And less than half of those are explicitly related to the topic, the others just have offhanded mentions.

As MK accurately predicted, that's not really enough volume to justify a new sub-forum.

What we need to do is heed the bartender's advice and continue making sure the posts go in the most appropriate area.

Also, make sure they stay on topic, are truly vintage related in some reasonable way, avoid politics and avoid snarky comments on either side.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Hey, there's obviously a lot of gun owners, hunters and fishermen here on the Lounge. The Show us Your Guns thread has over 5200 views!!!!!:eek: So obviously people on The Fedora Lounge are interested in such topics. The reason there hasn't been many threads on such topics lately is because no one has started them. Judging by the responses and views of the threads we have there is a plethora of interest in such topics. At least with the current crop of threads we have injected some excitement. There are plenty of threads on other subjects that have less than 10 responses in one week, why not delete those rather than a thread still working it's way through????

All I wanted to do with my Hunter's; Show us your trophies thread was see what others on the Lounge have caught if any. :) If no one here caught anything and/or mounted it then the thread would have had no responses or posts and it would have fell into obscurity. But to delete it a mere 9 hours later, I started it at 8 p.m. PDT and it was deleted at 5:30 a.m., sounds a little pre-emptive and no pun intended a little fishy.lol I started the thread and asked if there were any members of the Lounge who have a mounted trophy whether it walks, flies or swims. Is that a concerted effort?????? What is the definition of concerted effort? If anything it's to gauge whether or not there are others on the Lounge who partake in such activities have an animal trophy. What is so inappropriate and scandalous about that??? But, the thread was deleted before anyone could have posted any pictures. That thread was started 48 hours ago. If it had no posts or replies by now then it should have been deleted. But, to pull it out in it's infancy, (started at 8 p.m. PDT when it's 11 p.m. on the east coast) leads one to think the move was arbitrary and capricious.

Anyway, we have a whole section devoted to beauty, fine for the ladies but most guys aren't going to find that kind of stuff of interest. We even have a thread on tattoo's.:eek: I don't have a tattoo, nor do I care for them, but I'm not in that thread casting negativity :arated:

I purposely titled the thread Hunters; show us your trophies so as to give readers a correct title as to what this thread was about so no one would be shocked to open up a simple "trophies" thread and see deer heads, boar, goats etc. Those of us who are engaging in such threads are; civil, courteous, knowledgeable and above all gentlemanly in our discussions of such topics. It is those who are against; guns, hunting fishing etc. who interject the negative karma that sour such threads.:)

I also mentioned fish and birds. How many people have seen a marlin mounted in a restaurant??????? hmmmm I'd like to see if anyone here caught one because I want to catch one.

Let's see, my rattler, alligator and exotic meats thread in Steamer Trunk has 132 posts and over 2500 views. I doubt a thread on hunting/fishing trophies would just wither and die on the vine. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=16101

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
eightbore said:
Well, since other manly topics are out of bounds for discussion I guess I'll head back to the somehow vintage appropriate "fake melons" thread above. :D [huh] :D

Best,

eightbore

I didn't even read that thread until just now as I assumed it was about waxed fruit!!lol I see it's tied into "vintage" since the thread starter said that Golden Era Movie stars looked more natural. bahhahaahhahaahhaahhahahaha Talk about stretching the boundaries of conversation in mixed company. And with children present. bahahahahahhahahahaahha

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
I didn't even read that thread until just now as I assumed it was about waxed fruit!!lol I see it's tied into "vintage" since the thread starter said that Golden Era Movie stars looked more natural. bahhahaahhahaahhaahhahahaha Talk about stretching the boundaries of conversation in mixed company. And with children present. bahahahahahhahahahaahha

Yep. I feel bad for those breast-fed children being exposed to such horrors. Dreadful. lol

Before I was a bartender I had had things edited or got tapped on the shoulder by a bartender and you know what? I respected their decisions, even if I didn't like them, because it's not my forum. It still isn't my forum. I and the other bartenders volunteer our time because we like this place and work to keep it consistent with what Mk envisioned. I'm sorry you didn't like my post or decision to remove your thread, but really, don't you think it's time to move on? carebear said it best, and Zohar explained the decision in great detail.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lincsong a lot in what you mention I agree with. While I am no a hunter or fisherman I do enjoy reading accounts of other people's adventures and certainly think there should be an area that is tolerant to that. In the past 3 years I've been invalided for about 1 full year as I am now enjoy reading what others do in the outdoors that I can't anymore. It's neat reading about someone's day trip in the Bahamas fighting and landing a marlin even though it ain't vintage per se unless you tweak up some Hemmingway-esque mind picture to justify it I guess.

We don't all live by vintage stuff alone folks and there is more to life even as it intersects with the vintage aspects of our interests. Discussions are positively bound to wander. It's the nature of all forums everywhere.

I love the vintage pistoles people have posted images of along with their histories. That said, there is no reason why someone shouldn't post a photo of their modern .22 or .30-06 with their plans for use. It's all associated.

And in about every discussion scenario concerning firearms or hunting nothing is wrong till someone butts in with comments like "what do we need to talk about this for?" after dozens of individuals have discussed it in a neighborly way for several days. The spoiler that isn't interest in the topic doesn't just choose not to read or participate, he is compelled to make derogatory remarks and get turmoil started so bartenders will close the thread that the spoiler didn't approve of.

I've watch people do this many times. It very subtle but effective. THIS is the real problem. Where there is a "college football" topic and I don't care for college football I don't go there and say "college football sucks, why are you even discussing it?" But when there is a thread with verbiage about guns, fishing or hunting the complainers bust in and whine about what others are kindly and courteously discussing. Why?

I visit a forum with more than 200 topic headings! Sure all aren't super current but there are topics from poetry to archeology to cryprozoology, sculpture and statues to Atlantis. Most of the topics on the site are ancient history so it's a history forum, if you will. Point is they have a "sports" defined heading where you wouldn't find someone talking about Pre-Columbian Mesoamerican culture.

It seems to be narrowed down to the Display Case and Steamer Trunk or each for a different subject. But please, do designate so we can get on with some semblance of forum flow.
th_Tip-Hat.gif

eightbore

Suspended
Twitch said:
And in about every discussion scenario concerning firearms or hunting nothing is wrong till someone butts in with comments like "what do we need to talk about this for?" after dozens of individuals have discussed it in a neighborly way for several days. The spoiler that isn't interest in the topic doesn't just choose not to read or participate, he is compelled to make derogatory remarks and get turmoil started so bartenders will close the thread that the spoiler didn't approve of.

I've watch people do this many times.

And it seems to have reached a higher degree now. Rather than simply being forbidden from talking politics, there now exists a not so tacit prohibition on topics that may induce people lacking self control to POSSIBLY burst into a fit of talking politics. :) Of course, with every one of my or your posts on this very subject, we have simply increased the chance that this thread itself will be closed for the reasons described above. :)

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
As a "firearms enthusiast" (OK....raving gun-nut), I REALLY want a S&W model 22. I have handled them, and want one bad.

I have a Springfield Armory 1911a1 I adore. I have also owned two Brazilian Contract S&W 1917's, which I stupidly sold. The .45 acp revolver is a fun gun to shoot, and a breeze to reload with full-moon clips.

I say go for it...

Pete

Blackjack

One Too Many
I've shot my buddies, and I want one too! It is definatly a throwback to smiths great old revolvers and the case hardening on my friends is really nice. Also check out Cimmerons new 1911 in hi gloss blue, got that 20's gangster look all over it!!

pop_wm_2269470.jpg

Vinnie pin stripes

New in Town
Well it just depends on what you want. Automatic can jam and usually at the worse time, a colt 1917 or a S/w is a dependable firearm. A colt side swing in 38 cal is a good weapon also. LIke said in my blue heaven, "Vinnie always like a 22 cuz it rattles around in your head like pac man until you die, but a 45 now that blows a barn door in your head and then there is a lot of dry cleaning and such."

Last edited:

Heater

Familiar Face
Here is my grandfather's M1911 that he carried in the Great War.
picsofguns003-1.jpg

Here are the 45 ACP revolvers I've collected over the years, two Smith & Wesson 1917s, two Webleys converted to 45 ACP, a Smith 624 and a Colt 1917. I love the way 45 ACP revolvers shoot.

revolver005-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran