Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smith and Wesson Model 22 Revolver .45 ACP

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone have one of these pistols? I was thinking of buying a semi-automatic and this is always advertised in American Rifleman. What's the positives to this piece?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I don't own one but I shot one. They are nice pistols. I like the 1911 setup so it was familiar to shoot. I wasn't a big gun nut at the time so I can't tell you much else. [huh]
But they are nice handguns.

P.S. Seriously, I thought I was still on ARFCOM when I saw this topic title. :D

I started collecting 1911 pistols prob 25 yrs ago. Colts in the begginning. Gov...Commander...Officer's Mo...then finally a GoldCup. In the '90s I purchased a Kimber "Custom Defense"at a gun show. Right outa the box it consistantly maintained a great grouping. Tolerances seemed tight...and action smooth. I was impressed. IMO..for the money..a great single action .45for sure. Since then..I've purchased several models of the Paraordnance .45 with can hold twice the ammo with wider grip. Slicked out by a competent gunsmith they have grouped better than any .45 I've shot. In fact...now my favorite carry package. However...Kimber is certainly top of the line right out of the box...with custom features...trigger,etc.
HD

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I don't have a Kimber (yet) but their reviews in the gun mags are always outstanding. I'm mainly a revolver guy (S&W) but when I finally get a 1911 it will be a Kimber.
Bob.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I see that Smith and Wesson is introducing revolvers it once discontinued. However, the Model 22 Revolver .45 ACP is actually just more styled in the manner of Smith and Wesson's Golden Era. This is an updated version of the M1917 it produced to arm WW I doughboys. Anyone out there familiar with this piece?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Several guys over on COW have bought them as "Indy guns". They all report being pleased with the action and finish.

They are available all over the online auction sites and are now on the Cali DOJ approved list.

5-1/2"

150199_thumb.jpg

4"

150195_thumb.jpg

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
I started collecting 1911 pistols prob 25 yrs ago. Colts in the begginning. Gov...Commander...Officer's Mo...then finally a GoldCup. In the '90s I purchased a Kimber "Custom Defense"at a gun show. Right outa the box it consistantly maintained a great grouping. Tolerances seemed tight...and action smooth. I was impressed. IMO..for the money..a great single action .45for sure. Since then..I've purchased several models of the Paraordnance .45 with can hold twice the ammo with wider grip. Slicked out by a competent gunsmith they have grouped better than any .45 I've shot. In fact...now my favorite carry package. However...Kimber is certainly top of the line right out of the box...with custom features...trigger,etc.
HD

Kimber Arms makes great pieces. Great advice though about having a good gunsmith to help pull all the potential out of whatever you buy. If money is no object, check out Wilson Combat. They have some of the finest 1911's in the world...of course they're real proud of them too

carebear

Though it's common now, Kimber was one of the first manufacturers to put "custom" features on their production 1911's.

Now it's the non-modernized pieces that take the looking for.

carebear

If a new handgun is not on California's "safety list" it cannot be sold in the state.

Just another hoop to jump through with no real positive benefit.

AeroDillo

Familiar Face
The repro guns are nice...but they aren't like the old ones. We have three in the case where I work (a Chief's Special, a Model 21, and a Model 22) and while they show considerably more craftsmanship than some of the other items, the originals just have a different...feel. It's difficult to explain.

Plus, all the classic reproductions have those infernal internal locking devices.

Overall, not too bad...but I'll stick with my moldy oldie.

eightbore

Suspended
AeroDillo said:
Plus, all the classic reproductions have those infernal internal locking devices. Overall, not too bad...but I'll stick with my moldy oldie.

The gun gods have reserved a special place in hell for the politicians and lawyers who require the modification of classic designs in this way. Further, why would one pay $800-$900 for an inaccurate reproduction when a half decent original pistol can be found for almost half price?

JMHO,

eightbore

eightbore

Suspended
Now, I like their craftsmanship, but the problem with Kimber is that they don't make anything really resembling a retro mil-spec pistol. Now, for some really nice retro revolvers and autos serving this purpose, check out www.usfirearms.com. They make some REALLY nice stuff.

JMHO,

eightbore

Rooster

Practically Family
I'll stick with the old ones. Go to a couple guns shows and you'll find what ever you're looking for of a vintage age . Gunbroker.com and Auictionarms.com are a couple place to find vintage guns too.
I'm in the market for a .25 colt auto at the moment. 20's or 30's era as the craftsmanship of that era isn't found today.

Feraud

Bartender
Diamondback said:
Y'know, I'm beginning to think we need another subforum/"room" for "vintage personal-protection"--that way, us hoplophiles can carry on to our hearts' content, and the hoplophobic know not to enter that particular door and don't have to worry about seeing "our nasty guns" if they heed the signs.

Call it "Precinct 13", maybe?:D

As firearm owner and enthusiast, I see absolutely no need for a room for vintage personal protection.
I have read very little information to make me think enough members carry vintage era firarms for protection.

You made a similar request for an additional room in this thread. I added a thread to see how many people would contribute kitchen recipies. Four pages of replies tells me the interest in contributing to such a room is somewhat low.

Just for clarification there are threads where gun guys can chat. I do not recall the anti-gunners going in and spoiling the fun.
With respect to the hoplophobic, how about if fiream talk is kept out of vintage discussions. The comments are never vintage minded nor ever on topic.
A discussion on topics like neckties or shoelaces does not need to include how to injure someone with them.

Erik

One of the Regulars
The positives? Only that it is representative of a by-gone era in American craftsmanship. They do not, quite literally, make them like they used to. Fear not, though, I handled a Model 22 in excellent condition a few days ago that caught my eye. The seller was asking $400 for it. That would be money well spent compared to what $400 buys you in the new gun market, these days.

Erik, who is a "gunnie" to the extent that he judges firearms and their owners the way many around here judge clothing and their wearers. After all, if function is all you are after, you could go to the Gap. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran