Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smith and Wesson Model 22 Revolver .45 ACP

eightbore

Suspended
Jovan,

Actually, the current Springfield Armory Inc. is not remotely affiliated with THE Springfield Armory that produced weaponry for the military (see link below). If you want to really think about the issue of patenting government designations, Springfield Inc has been ripping off the defense department since 1974 with their very name and logo. Their 1911-A1 has also incorporated a loaded chamber indicator and a "lawyer switch" into the mainspring housing. Yuck. There's a special place in hell for those corporate officers authorizing the modification of John Moses Browning's designs. Now, I've also owned springfield 1911-A1s in the 1990s when Colt was producing total garbage. Thankfully, those days are gone. I also think you might be being a bit rough on the M4 and it's sensitivity to sand (problems largely solved in the Vietnam era have hounded the designs reputation for decades)...but it doesn't really matter....I like the M1A better anyway. :) :) :)

http://www.nps.gov/archive/spar/history.html

Jovan

Suspended
From all I've heard from everyone who's been in the Army, my uncle included, the AR-15 design is still VERY flawed to this day. Thanks for the info on the current Springfield... I don't think their classic repro incorporates those features though.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Hmmmm:rolleyes: Just thinking out loud but, since Gentlemen's Clubs of the Golden Era had hunters and fishermen who belonged to such Club's, it would be appropriate for an Outdoorsman Section here where we can discuss pistols, rifles, fishing lines, rods, reels, camping, hunting, fishing, animal trophies etc.:)

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
We could just restrict all of the gun, hunting, fishing, camping, animal trophies into one mega-thread, just like Show Us Your Purchases, or New Ladies and Gents Step Forward.

Just thinking out loud here.

eightbore

Suspended
Lincsong said:
Hmmmm:rolleyes: Just thinking out loud but, since Gentlemen's Clubs of the Golden Era had hunters and fishermen who belonged to such Club's, it would be appropriate for an Outdoorsman Section here where we can discuss pistols, rifles, fishing lines, rods, reels, camping, hunting, fishing, animal trophies etc.:)

I LIKE that idea!

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Jovan said:
Indeed. What scares me is the accuracy of those games to real life in the feel of the "Colt .45." They have the same report (a sharp "BAP!" IIRC) and recoil. They did their research.

Most of those WWII game makers, especially COD, & MOH actually went to a range and recorded the firing of actual weapons they have in the games

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jovan don't be afraid to purchase a slightly used Colt made by the old regime. Believe me there are zillions of pistols out there that were gently used a few times an now reside in a drawer or the original box.

About 5 years ago I got a Python for $500 with original box. The guy had a Colt Gold Cup for the same price. I consider a gun still new if it has less than 500 rounds through it. Half the fun is finding a treasure out there.:)

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
This has been fun reading to catch up. We started discussing the Smith 22/1917 revolvers, and evolved into a full discussion of 1911's and firearms in general. I have carried weapons professionally for two reasons in my life. Once, as a soldier of the Cold War, shifting from the 1911-A1 to the M-9, and the M-16A1 to the M-16A2. As a prosecutor, I found that I shot a Glock well enough, and it was sure easy to carry.

Now, a handgun is purely for protection, and also an object to reflect pride of ownership, and a "badge of rank." I do love my revolvers, but am cheating on them with my Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Mil-Spec. I love the classic look, but also now have scars on my hand from where the slide has buried itself in my hand repeatedly. Oh well, maybe I need a second 1911 for work, with a beavertail.

On the vintage front, anyone have a Fitz Special? My Smith 19 snubbie is about as close as I get.

carebear

Saw a Fitz modded revo (of the proper vintage) on an online site, but the seller, an actual gun dealer, didn't apparently know what he had.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Zohar said:
We could just restrict all of the gun, hunting, fishing, camping, animal trophies into one mega-thread, just like Show Us Your Purchases, or New Ladies and Gents Step Forward.

That would be really cool Zohar. :eusa_clap Let's do a mega thread with a poll of what Loungers like to do; hunt, trap, fresh water or deep sea fishing etc. I've been deep sea fishing out of the Golden Gate, got sick and never went back, but I've gone deep sea fishing in Florida and sea sickness hasn't been problem there. I really want to catch a marlin and have it mounted.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Inappropriate for the Lounge

Zohar said:

I was just informed that a such a thread was deemed inappropriate for the Lounge by a bartendress and she deleted.:(

eightbore

Suspended
Well, since other manly topics are out of bounds for discussion I guess I'll head back to the somehow vintage appropriate "fake melons" thread above. :D [huh] :D

Best,

eightbore

Rooster

Practically Family
eightbore said:
Well, since other manly topics are out of bounds for discussion I guess I'll head back to the somehow vintage appropriate "fake melons" thread above. :D [huh] :D

Best,

eightbore
How did I miss the fake melons?:eusa_doh:

Twitch

Lincsong I encourage you to find a pistol with which to punch holes in paper! It is simply fun. Both my adult daughters own pistols and shoot.

For my 2 cents there probably shouldn't be a whole topic heading devoted to outdoor activities covering camping, shooting, fishing, hiking etc.

Why not just start an Action Hobby thread and allows folks to let it flow as it may as one interjects his last trout fishing trip and then someone talks about skeet shooting followed by folks that had fun backpacking in Mexico.[huh]

Let's not make it difficult.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Lincsong said:
I was just informed that a such a thread was deemed inappropriate for the Lounge by a bartendress and she deleted.

No, that's not it at all.

First of all, we're not going to create an individual forum for guns, hunting, fishing, trophies, camouflage, reloading, or other similar things that Eightbore refers to as "Manly Topics". Period.

If you want to show off a new firearm acquisition, put it in:
Show Us Your Guns!, in The Display Case

Likewise, you can put threads about vintage and vintage-styled rod&reels, lures, mounted trophies (we'll talk about that in a minute), and other ephemera in The Display Case as well.

If you want to talk about a vintage-styled hunting or fishing trip you took, put it in The Steamer Trunk

Look, several of you have been asking for a separate forum to be created to handle topics about hunting/fishing/camouflage and other "Manly Topics". You guys have ample (and appropriate) places to place such threads all over the Lounge. A new forum simply isn't needed, as these topics haven't numbered enough to warrant it.

Several of you were told this in the past few days. So, what do we see happen in the past few days? More and more topics about them. Okay, that's fine, BUT: none of these topics have been very informative, and the initial posts are hasty and brief. The thread on the '87 Winchester is probably the best example of this. The first 3 posts alone were:

anyone else really dig this gun?

Yup.

+1 ! ! !
The '87 thread didn't even have any pictures until Story posted one of Arnold Schwarzenegger from T2.

This, along with several other threads posted in the last few days are obvious attempts at swaying the conversation simply for the sake of talking about said "manly topics". It's artificial, and as such, it isn't going to sway those of us in a position to really push for new forums. In fact, it has soured even me, and I am probably the biggest gun nut/collector/hunter amongst all the bartenders.

Now as to the thread and bartendress in question:
As a part of this artificial and concerted "push" to post about manly topics, somebody posted a thread titled "Hunters; show us your trophies....." in The Display Case. This is the thread you're referring to.

Ordinarily, there probably would not have been a problem with a user posting pictures of their mounted trophies in The Display Case, but as it was part of the aforementioned overall push, the thread was removed. This thread in question was *not* intended to be the end-all be-all Mega-Thread regarding sportsman's stuff ("Manly Things"). It was simply about mounted trophies, and part of that concerted effort. As the Bartendress said, the way that thread was worded and posted, it does belong on a Hunting and Fishing forum. If it was "Hey, I have a vintage mounted moose head, here are some pics. What all do you have in a vintage mount?", then that probably would have passed muster. Again, what she told you was regarding that trophy mount thread -- it was not regarding an end-all mega-thread as you state above.

Twitch said:
For my 2 cents there probably shouldn't be a whole topic heading devoted to outdoor activities covering camping, shooting, fishing, hiking etc.

Why not just start an Action Hobby thread and allows folks to let it flow as it may as one interjects his last trout fishing trip and then someone talks about skeet shooting followed by folks that had fun backpacking in Mexico.

Let's not make it difficult.

Yes! Spot on, Twitch. This is exactly what I'm attempting to get across. Such a thread about adventures could be posted in The Steamer Trunk, while the gun and hunting questions post could be included in a Sportsman's Thread somewhere else (we'll talk about where).

In summation -- Enjoy having the ability to post about such things in the many different areas of the Lounge. Many forums would not even allow 1/10th of the amount of stuff on said topics that MK does here. But, if the little short threads that are of questionable quality keep popping up all over the place and we determine that it's part of a push to steer the overall tenor of the Lounge towards such topics, we will act appropriately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy