Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smith and Wesson Model 22 Revolver .45 ACP

AeroDillo

Familiar Face
If you want a 1917, hit the local gun shows and pawnshops and looking for a Brazilian contract model. Basically, a U.S.-made S&W shipped by the tens of thousands south. The only difference is in the stamps (no US Property or flaming bomb marks, and a rather prominent national crest on the side plate).

I paid roughly $200 for mine (it was in rough shape) and then spent another $300 on a parkerizing job, and then $20 or so on new grips. The result is a gun that's almost weatherproof, fits my hand about the same as a K-frame Smith, eats recoil for lunch, and goes boom every time I pull the trigger. It has a particularly light single-action pull and a smooth double action, and on a good day I can get it reloaded faster than my 1911. It also never jams.

When I bought it:

1917copylz4.jpg

After the refinish (with the 1911 for comparison) :

1117fi6.jpg

At present, with new grips. I'm still hunting a set of either originals, reproduction, or diamond/medallions. I'm not holding my breath.

1917lo0.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are planning to carry them (concealed) regularly, the 1911 is a lot flatter.

If not, I like revolvers, they have panache and a little more vintage-y feel.

carebear

Jovan,

The 1911 looks blued to me rather than park'd. It just has a lot of glare on the flat of the slide. Look at the cocking serrations.

AeroDillo

Familiar Face
Jovan -

Yes. Both have the same type of finish, though the 1911 came from the factory that way. I find the finish on the revolver more attractive, but the auto is beginning to wear nicely.

I plan to acquire and park a Model 10 soon, though it may be a while.

CB -

Partially wear and partially lighting. I live in an Airstream, and the conditions inside are seldom good for any kind of photography. These two (both taken outside under natural light) show the effect in a clearer light.

1911a1pe9.jpg

1911a1leftjb0.jpg

carebear

That is a good amount of wear then. Nice job on the revo.

I'm sending in my C&R License app. tomorrow. I'm hoping to get my collection of classic revo's started on the cheap. :D

carebear

Spent my formative gun years buying and selling the flavor of the month when I worked at a shooting range.

Funny I ended up with nothing designed after 1935. [huh]

I'll send you a copy of my license when it comes in.

Jovan

Suspended
That is such an attractive finish. Very vintage.

Okay, I know some of you gun freaks are going to kill me but, the reason I'm attracted to that 1911 finish and diamond grips is because of the one I saw in the original Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Call of Duty games. Then I fired a 1911 clone in real life. I've been in love ever since.

Colt%2045.jpg

colt45.gif

carebear

"Gun freaks"? :eusa_doh:

That's "firearm afficiandos" to you. :mad:

Until you buy yourself that 1911 of course, then you can be a gun freak as well. lol

There are very few reasons most gun people view as illegitimate for liking a particular firearm anymore than most car people will get on you for liking a particular make and model.

Jovan

Suspended
Ah, good to know. I just feel slightly guilty for playing those games and feeling badass for shooting people with those pistols... and liking the way they look. Or something.

carebear

Jovan said:
Ah, good to know. I just feel slightly guilty for playing those games and feeling badass for shooting people with those pistols... and liking the way they look. Or something.

It's just a game. I'm sure you don't indulge the desire to go all Grand Prix at night on the streets of your city in real life.

Be warned though, they are more fun in real life. (not to mention expensive, responsibility requiring, addictive, expensive... :D )

Jovan

Suspended
Indeed. What scares me is the accuracy of those games to real life in the feel of the "Colt .45." They have the same report (a sharp "BAP!" IIRC) and recoil. They did their research.

eightbore

Suspended
For those interested in 1911s, you might note that Colt is producing a WWI reproduction 1911 currently. Note this is not a 1911-A1 so it has no lowered ejection port, sports a shorter hammer, lanyard loop and no relief cuts behind the trigger. They've even reproduced the script style for the rollmarks and added proper "US Property" markings. Street prices are sitting around $850 with the early 20th century Carbonia Bluing! Neat!

ww1headcrono.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
Indeed.

AeroDillo: I remember playing that when it came out... I bought it, and got quickly bored with it. The weapon sounds could have been a little more realistic. The 1911 sounded too much like someone hitting a hollow plastic bucket, and the M60 had the most clichéd machine gun sound ever used in movies. The muzzle flashes looked like big yellow paint splatters. Also, the gameplay could have minimized the patrolling aspect a LOT. While that may be realistic to that war, it doesn't make for a very interesting game. Overall, I was a little nonplussed.

eightbore: I'm not buying from Colt themselves anytime soon, however. I honestly don't like the company anymore. That whole "M4" fiasco was complete and utter crap, and they are pretty much the first company with the gall to trademark a freaking MILITARY DESIGNATION for a firearm. Why it was even given to them, by the U.S. patent office of all places, is really beyond me. Also, they've shown their utter commitment to quality with their AR-15 design by... adding rails. And a removeable carry handle. Yep. That's 40 years' worth of research, development, and improvement, all right. :rolleyes: Never mind that the soldiers in the most common environment they're facing now can't so much as get one grain of sand in their rifles, lest they jam and die and make the operator die as a result.

I'd sooner buy Springfield's 1911 repro, given that they were one of the contractors producing them in WWII anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran