Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smokers and Hat Wearers

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I've found that many women like the smell of a pipe or cigar while it's being smoked (I'm sure there's some Proustian thing to be pointed out here), but no one likes the smell of it hours or days later.

Some pipe and cigar tobacco are a pleasant aroma. Some flat out stink! LOL!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Would u rather smell like a cigar or coffee? Dont women like the "manly" smell of cigars...?
When it comes to cigar or pipe tobacco, it really does depend on the "cheap stink" of some compared to a rich aroma to others. If I have used a coffee grounds for removing any smell from a hat or any other article of clothing, I have used a vanilla bean coffee. The coffee does not leave too much "aroma" behind but it does absorb the bad odors well.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I've found that many women like the smell of a pipe or cigar while it's being smoked (I'm sure there's some Proustian thing to be pointed out here), but no one likes the smell of it hours or days later.

I agree. Sorta like when the house smells like bacon a day later.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
When it comes to cigar or pipe tobacco, it really does depend on the "cheap stink" of some compared to a rich aroma to others. If I have used a coffee grounds for removing any smell from a hat or any other article of clothing, I have used a vanilla bean coffee. The coffee does not leave too much "aroma" behind but it does absorb the bad odors well.

Undoubtedly a good idea especially if you like vanilla.

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
LuvMM,
Thank you for sharing that tip. I find that working jackets and ball caps air out quite nicely in the sun but even kept in shade, some outdoor exposure should do nicely for deodorizing. I will try the coffee grounds trick as well. I will probably choose one inexpensive hat just for outdoor work and smoking.

javadave61

Practically Family
Well, at work, they've started an $1,800 per year surcharge for smokers with random nicotine testing as the enforcer. Evidently, one cigar a month is no different than two packs of cigarettes a day. So I'm about to say goodbye to a relaxing way to pass the evening. I guess I'll have to take up hard liquor instead. :)

Thus, I'm out tonight with a mild Rocky Patel cigar from the Autumn collection, accompanied by my newly acquired Czech Weekender beater hat. It's the perfect smoking hat... if that weren't considered a criminal activity.

I'm not bitter.

uploadfromtaptalk1450052115618.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

5 years tobacco free, to this day I love the smell of a cigar or cigarette but avoid it for the same reason. It gets me thinking about having just one and you know where that goes. However, the stale smell of smoke in a house or on clothing is another story, disgusting. Think it's a good idea to be conscious of that.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Being a person with asma, I flee from "smoker places". I never have smoked (only in a passive way, but I do know the consequences I later suffer) nor I think I'll do it ever. Also hate the smoke or "smoker" smell.

Well, at work, they've started an $1,800 per year surcharge for smokers with random nicotine testing as the enforcer. Evidently, one cigar a month is no different than two packs of cigarettes a day. So I'm about to say goodbye to a relaxing way to pass the evening. I guess I'll have to take up hard liquor instead. :)

Thus, I'm out tonight with a mild Rocky Patel cigar from the Autumn collection, accompanied by my newly acquired Czech Weekender beater hat. It's the perfect smoking hat... if that weren't considered a criminal activity.

I'm not bitter.

My company has recently introduced a smoking surcharge as well, but it's only $25/month. I can handle that. The rule is, if you've had at least one puff in the last 24 months, you're a "smoker". There's not testing for it, they're simply relying on our honor, at least for now. But if you're caught lying, you're fired, no questions asked.

Ozarkian

New in Town
My company has recently introduced a smoking surcharge as well, but it's only $25/month. I can handle that. The rule is, if you've had at least one puff in the last 24 months, you're a "smoker". There's not testing for it, they're simply relying on our honor, at least for now. But if you're caught lying, you're fired, no questions asked.

WTF? Do they monitor your driving habits too? No offense, but I'd have a hard time with such policies, but then I've been self employed since the mid 80's.

Ozarkian

New in Town
Oh, also, I'm a pipe smoker and I've not had too much of an issue with tobacco odor. Cigars are worse tho and cigs are terrible in the smell dept IMO.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
My Young's Twenty Five smelled strongly of cigarette smoke when I received it. Took days of airing out to get the stink off it. I smoked for 26 years, quit 10 years ago, can't see how anyone could stand to be around me when I smelled like that.
I believe in freedom to choose how to live one's life and all, but if a ballot were put in front of me with a proposed law to ban tobacco nationwide, I'd check that yes box without hesitation. About ten percent of the country might have a rough rest of November afterwards, but then everything would be chill once the Great American Nicotine Fit was over.
Just sayin...not like it's going to happen. Tobacco has too much money to go away any time soon.

WTF? Do they monitor your driving habits too? No offense, but I'd have a hard time with such policies, but then I've been self employed since the mid 80's.

They don't monitor my driving, but then there is not the same link between driving habits and long-term health care costs. Given that the company pays an average of about $36,000/year/employee in health insurance, they see it as a relevant piece of their business. And if you have a hard time with this type of thing, you'd likely have a hard time working for someone else these days. Smoking surcharges, random drug testing, background checks, social media monitoring, etc are all pretty common practices.

My Young's Twenty Five smelled strongly of cigarette smoke when I received it. Took days of airing out to get the stink off it. I smoked for 26 years, quit 10 years ago, can't see how anyone could stand to be around me when I smelled like that.
I believe in freedom to choose how to live one's life and all, but if a ballot were put in front of me with a proposed law to ban tobacco nationwide, I'd check that yes box without hesitation. About ten percent of the country might have a rough rest of November afterwards, but then everything would be chill once the Great American Nicotine Fit was over.
Just sayin...not like it's going to happen. Tobacco has too much money to go away any time soon.

I can think of a lot of policies I'd like to implement and tell people to "get over it". I'm not sure I'd like a country that would allow that to happen though.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
The country survived when heroin, cocaine and many other dangerous drugs with little or no theraputic benefit were banned. I'm happier to live here because of it. Cigarettes are the only consumable product I can think of that is legally sold, that when used as directed causes death. Smokers numbers are decreasing nationwide, but not nearly fast enough.

The country survived when heroin, cocaine and many other dangerous drugs with little or no theraputic benefit were banned. I'm happier to live here because of it. Cigarettes are the only consumable product I can think of that is legally sold, that when used as directed causes death. Smokers numbers are decreasing nationwide, but not nearly fast enough.

Yes, the country would survive a ban on tobacco. The country also survived the ban on alcohol and oral sex. That doesn't mean I want either criminalized again. I just have a hard time with "I believe in freedom of how to live one's life...except for [insert thing you don't like]". But your position is noted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic