Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smokers and Hat Wearers

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Folks,
I occasionally partake of a good cigar either alone or in company and I have wondered if there are any (cigar) smokers who are hat wearers and what issues they face. For example, how do you deal with smoke odor on your lid? I know that in the "old days" smoking was much more prevalant than it is today. How did they deal with it back then?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Folks,
I occasionally partake of a good cigar either alone or in company and I have wondered if there are any (cigar) smokers who are hat wearers and what issues they face. For example, how do you deal with smoke odor on your lid? I know that in the "old days" smoking was much more prevalant than it is today. How did they deal with it back then?

I smoke and don't think I've ever considered my wardrobe in connection with that activity. I don't think guys thought much about it back in the forties and fifties either: just about everybody smoked.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Isn't it traditional to wear a fez and a velvet smoking jacket while partaking in this activity? I would imagine at least a few Loungers have acquired the classic gear for enjoying brandy and cigars in the drawing room after dinner. Hopefully they will post pics.

Personally, I can't participate. About 10 minutes around smoke and I start rapid-fire sneezing. Not judging others, just admitting my limitations in this department.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I gave up the habit years ago, as well as drinking. Not only are my hats better off for it, but my lungs and overall health is too.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Good for you, TJones! I myself am coming up on my 10 year anniversary of quitting tobacco and 4 years for alcohol. June 14 was the date I chose to stop both bad habits. My health is much better for it, and my clothing and person smell a lot better as well.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I don't smoke and never did. Already have respiratory problems, don't need another thing helping it.
I do drink almost daily but small portion. A lil' bit of alcohol does not warm.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I smoke and don't think I've ever considered my wardrobe in connection with that activity. I don't think guys thought much about it back in the forties and fifties either: just about everybody smoked.

After the Friday night poker game my outfit goes in the garbage bag! The Fedora just airs out...

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
When I smoked real cigarettes, or cigars I never thought about it but then again I didn't have good stuff I was worried about wrecking. I didn't even care when I lived with my last girlfriend who smoked like a fiend.
Now I smoke e-cigs, non nic, & I still don't worry about it as the stuff is basically then same as stage fog/smoke. Bit of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine & a touch of flavoring that I make myself.

Man, I dying for a cigar now. :cool2:

You don't wear a hat indoors, so when smoking indoors, it's not an issue. When I smoke outdoors, I wear whatever hat I'm wearing. I don't really think about it. The hat doesn't dictate. Other than that, my rules are 1) try not to light you hat on fire, 2) knock the ashes off your cigar before they fall on your shirt, and 3) enjoy your cigar.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Ok Mebbe not quite like a Virginia ham. Mebbe more like a conflagrated grocery store?!?! ;)

My mother says we end to smell like a gipsy when near a campfire for too long. Maybe because long time ago, gipsy people always had a fire near by since no electric power was available.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Folks,

If you have more than one hat, you can "air out" a hat leaving it outside in some fresh air, and wear another hat,or place the hat in a large plastic bag with some fresh coffee grounds placed in a container inside the bag with the hat.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
If you have more than one hat, you can "air out" a hat leaving it outside in some fresh air, and wear another hat,or place the hat in a large plastic bag with some fresh coffee grounds placed in a container inside the bag with the hat.

Would u rather smell like a cigar or coffee? Dont women like the "manly" smell of cigars...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy