Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Back in the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well put, Subvet.

There is an interesting part of the anti-smoking movement that was unheard of 'back in the day' when they knew smoking was not good for you but allowed the choice anyway: The lawsuit angle.

When government actually participates in and drives these massive judgements against the tobacco industry (to the tune of billions of dollars which equates to a form of tax cash grab) they are well aware that the only way for the tobacco companies to pay off the amount is to stay in business for many years to come so they can earn the payola by selling lots more cigarettes.

Kinda' puts the pot in business with the kettle if you ask me.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I absolutely do not like being told what I can do or can't do.
That being said, I have to say that smoking bans in public places just makes sense to me. It has a health effect on anyone in the immediate area and I don't want someone else deciding I shouldn't mind second hand smoke.
I recall when everywhere you went people were smoking and it was no big deal, I like it a lot better now.

Kermez

A-List Customer
You know what really grinds my gears? When places have a smoking section, and it's filled with people smoking and the air is full of smoke, and yet someone finds my cigar offensive. (True story, it happened to me the last time I was in Denny's - which was 1996).

Seriously, though, any place that allows cigarettes but not cigars and/or pipes just does not get my business. (And yet, I welcome the opposite - I guess I'm King of the Double Standard, I can live with that.)

rkwilker

One Too Many
Kermez...I couldn't agree with you more. There are many bars here in North Carolina (a state built by tobacco) that allow cigarettes but not cigars. I can't understand it. Tobacco is tobacco. If you allow smoking then it should be acceptable for me to enjoy my puro. Ok...off my soap box now.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I can still picture my boss at work in the late 70's. He would have a cup of vending machine coffee in one hand and a cig in the other. This was in a GROCERY STORE ! Geez try that today I'm too paranoid to smoke a stoge in a park. I'm old enough to remember Cig Ads on TV and them going for 50 cents a pack (55 for Kings).

Caleb Moore

Familiar Face
When we moved into our apartment building a year ago I came across a cigarette vending machine in the garage. What a flashback moment! I hadn't seen one in years, but it brought back memories. When I was a kid (the 70's) I don't know that we ever went into a restaurant or airport with seeing one.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Kermez said:
You know what really grinds my gears? When places have a smoking section, and it's filled with people smoking and the air is full of smoke, and yet someone finds my cigar offensive. (True story, it happened to me the last time I was in Denny's - which was 1996).

For whatever it's worth, speaking as a non-smoker, I actually *like* the smell of most cigars and pipes, (except for those fruit-flavor ones that always smell to me like someone set fire to a bottle of Orange Crush.)

Kermez

A-List Customer
Well, all right!

LizzieMaine said:
For whatever it's worth, speaking as a non-smoker, I actually *like* the smell of most cigars and pipes
big_smiley.jpg

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:
I absolutely do not like being told what I can do or can't do.
That being said, I have to say that smoking bans in public places just makes sense to me. It has a health effect on anyone in the immediate area and I don't want someone else deciding I shouldn't mind second hand smoke.
I recall when everywhere you went people were smoking and it was no big deal, I like it a lot better now.
I totally agree with the above,but the smoking ban here in the UK has sounded the death knell for pubs and bars.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene said:
OK, here's a question:

Anyone know where a fella' can buy Camels or Pall Malls without filters for cheap?

They are no less healthy for me than their filtered counterparts but I like the idea of not buying/disposing all those filters. I don't throw them on the ground, mind you, but they do wind up getting thrown away.

A carton of Pall Mall 100 filters in box package costs about $21.00 in my neck of the woods. A carton of Pall Mall non-filter (same amount of tobacco but without the filter and in simpler paper packages) costs $39 and change!! :eek:

I don't get it.

Here's why: When filter cigarettes became popular in, if memory serves, the 1950s, the tobacco companies realized they could get away with using much cheaper and nastier tobacco because the filter would mask the taste.

Ever break the filter off of a filter cigarette and smoke it?

They have to use the better and therefore more expensive tobacco in non-filter cigarettes.

Also, the market for non-filters is much smaller so the costs are spread over fewer sales.

I use a Denicotea filtered holder with my Luckies and Camels. I've found that I smoke fewer cigarettes if they taste better. "Lights" and "Ultra Lights" just make me smoke more.

Oh, you want to see doctors smoke in a movie? Take a look at Erroll Flynn in "Dive Bomber." lol

DerMann

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:
Here's why: When filter cigarettes became popular in, if memory serves, the 1950s, the tobacco companies realized they could get away with using much cheaper and nastier tobacco because the filter would mask the taste.

Ever break the filter off of a filter cigarette and smoke it?

They have to use the better and therefore more expensive tobacco in non-filter cigarettes.

Also, the market for non-filters is much smaller so the costs are spread over fewer sales.

I use a Denicotea filtered holder with my Luckies and Camels. I've found that I smoke fewer cigarettes if they taste better. "Lights" and "Ultra Lights" just make me smoke more.

Oh, you want to see doctors smoke in a movie? Take a look at Erroll Flynn in "Dive Bomber." lol

Guess L.S./M.F.T. is actually more than just advertising!

I smoke for the fun of it and just to try different things. Of all the brands I've tried, Luckies are still by far the best. Filtered cigarettes are not the same. Plus, you can smoke a Lucky from either side :D

The amount of nicotine in Luckies prevents me from smoking too much. Once I made the mistake of having two in a twelve hour period (all nighter, needed something to do to relax). Headache like no other.

pipe23

New in Town
As a smoker, one of the upsides of everyone else quitting is I've amassed a large collection of vintage ashtrays, my favs being five glass ashtrays on brass stands and a slew of nifty 50's styles. Lots of restaurant/hotel ashtrays with logos, and so on. It seems that there is always an ashtray within arms length in m home.
What I do miss is ashtrays in cars, with most new cars it is a "smokers-option" and you only get one ashtray near the driver, not one on every door.
I also lament the passing of the vent window on automobiles, :cool2:

DerMann

Practically Family
pipe23 said:
As a smoker, one of the upsides of everyone else quitting is I've amassed a large collection of vintage ashtrays, my favs being five glass ashtrays on brass stands and a slew of nifty 50's styles. Lots of restaurant/hotel ashtrays with logos, and so on. It seems that there is always an ashtray within arms length in m home.
What I do miss is ashtrays in cars, with most new cars it is a "smokers-option" and you only get one ashtray near the driver, not one on every door.
I also lament the passing of the vent window on automobiles, :cool2:

Welcome to the Lounge, old boy.

I didn't realise that passenger ashtrays had been removed from autos. The more I think about it, the more right you are. My mom's 2001 Grand Marquis has them, and my brother and I always used them as rubbish bins. None of the newer cars that I've ridden in have them. Interesting how little details just disappear sometimes.

jawisher

Familiar Face
Back in the day...

Because I am a smoker, I do miss those days when smoking just wasn't a big deal. The two things I miss most are being able to light a cigarette in a restaurant without having to leave the table after finishing a meal, and especially being able to enjoy a cigarette and a drink at the same time in a bar.

I have to agree with the several people who have posted that back when everyone smoked, no one really noticed it no matter if you were at work, in a restaurant, on an airplane, or even in the corridor of a hospital.

Blackjack

One Too Many
Fortunately I quit smoking before all these ridiculous rules and regs were passed, but even after I quit the smell of someone smoking a cigarette never bothered me. So even though I don't smoke, I think singling out smokers as pariahs of the community just plain wrong and I am totally against the "smoking ban" imposed on bars and restaurants. It is killing the bar business in more ways than one, I've heard several cocktail waitresses complain how many people skip out on their tabs today after going outside (and of course staying 20 feet or whatever away from the entrance) and simply getting in their cars and leaving without paying the tab. What a great idea for people to skip out! If you own a business and you don't want people smoking there, fine that's up to you, but there's no way that the government needs to tell people if they can or cannot smoke . If your an adult and willing to take the health risks involved with smoking then by God nobody should be able to tell you not to. Interestly enough, my wife works for one of the larger Chicago land Hospitals and a good percentage of the nurses smoke and a number of the docs, for a lot people it's a stress reliever and stress will kill you long before smoking will. Not to mention, if cancer runs in your family sorry to say, your most likely going to get it someday, if you smoke, you may get it faster but most diseases are in your gene pool and not much you can do about it. And, if someone gets "terminally ill" from "second hand smoke", well pal I'm afraid you'd have to blame your grandparents more than than your co-workers.
We live in this country for the freedoms we enjoy (that are disapearing daily) and once they impose cigarettes out of existance with everyone clapping and hooraying, beware sister beware...that Big Mac you and the kids enjoy three times a week may be next.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Tony is right...i hate filters so if i have a filtered cigarette i always break it off and it is pretty nasty compared to a camel or lucky...

the real reason i even smoke a cigarette is my avatar...it just looks so damn cool...but not healthy which is why i don't smoke 'em...

pipe23

New in Town
DerMann said:
Welcome to the Lounge, old boy./QUOTE]
Thanks and glad to be aboard. Fascinating place to peruse.
By the way, I think that us smoking taxpayers should make it a condition of the Big Three auto company bailout to put ashtrays back in cars.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
pipe23 said:
DerMann said:
Welcome to the Lounge, old boy./QUOTE] I think that us smoking taxpayers should make it a condition of the Big Three auto company bailout to put ashtrays back in cars.

The last truck I bought had an open lighter socket on the dash. I told the salesman "I'm missing the cig lighter in this one" and he said "thats not a cig lighter, sir. Thats a power source for GPS', cell phones, etc".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot