Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snowed In...?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
From 68 degrees at this time yesterday to 13 degrees this morning. The good news is that I get to play with toys that I otherwise seldom get to play with.

0107140811a_zpsae7ffbfe.jpg

AF

Haha! You said you'd post a pic and you did AF. You're all sorted for the polar vortex or a winter in Kimpo ;)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Someone I know left the UK last week to live in Toronto. Here it's just wet, windy and not very cold - whilst Toronto is -22 with a wind chill making it -50!!! I bet she's feeling cold.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Our weather is getting warmer.
Maybe some freezing rain tonight, but otherwise back to the 50's.
Fine by me, I'm tired of letting the faucets run.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Our weather is getting warmer.
Maybe some freezing rain tonight, but otherwise back to the 50's.
Fine by me, I'm tired of letting the faucets run.

I'm with ya. I love cold weather, too, but I fear this cold snap is causing many people much hardship. It was 12 when I left for work this morning. People in eastern NC just don't stay prepared for that sort of thing. Heaters stop ruinning due to the overload, exposed pipes burst, engine blocks crack. Hurricanes come and go and hardly make the news for more than a day here. But I think this cold snap will be long remembered.

AF

Nobert

Practically Family
I'm with ya. I love cold weather, too, but I fear this cold snap is causing many people much hardship. It was 12 when I left for work this morning. People in eastern NC just don't stay prepared for that sort of thing. Heaters stop ruinning due to the overload, exposed pipes burst, engine blocks crack. Hurricanes come and go and hardly make the news for more than a day here. But I think this cold snap will be long remembered.

AF

It's true; I have a Facebook friend in St. Louis who had been making endless complaints about the snow. I've been biting my keyboard to avoid replying something along the lines of "Oh, that's so darling," but it really is a matter of what you're prepared for. I once saw a video of people in Portland, OR trying to drive in 3 inches of snow, and if it hadn't have been for the life-and-limb threatening danger of it, it would have been hilarious. Every time one car finally ended its long skid into a curb and it looked like disaster was averted, another would come sliding down the street like an automotive gutterball. The whole thing looked as though it had been directed by Mack Sennett.

Nobert

Practically Family
Yes, if any of you are caught driving without snow tires in unfamiliar snowy conditions, do NOT slam on the breaks if you start to skid. I also hear you're supposed to steer into the direction of a skid, but I can't say whether I do that. Whenever it has happened, I forgot to take notes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yes, if any of you are caught driving without snow tires in unfamiliar snowy conditions, do NOT slam on the breaks if you start to skid. I also hear you're supposed to steer into the direction of a skid, but I can't say whether I do that. Whenever it has happened, I forgot to take notes.

The best thing to do is take your foot off the gas and let the engine slow the car. Resist your natural instincts and you'll be fine.

Oh, and "All Season Radials" are the bunk. Get studdeds.

DNO

One Too Many
Someone I know left the UK last week to live in Toronto. Here it's just wet, windy and not very cold - whilst Toronto is -22 with a wind chill making it -50!!! I bet she's feeling cold.

She definitely picked the wrong time to move to Toronto! We just had a nasty ice storm. I lost power, land line and cell service on the 21st December...and a large tree branch fell on the car. No power, heat, light etc...miserable. We got power back on Christmas Day...Christmas eve was -14C. Since then we've been in and out of the deep freeze. It's -17C right now.

On the other hand, it's supposed to be +5C on Saturday! Two years ago we had an amazing winter: two minor snowfalls and the temperature rarely went below OC.

I hope you're friend sticks with it. This too shall pass!

I've never seen snow tires. I have no idea what they look like.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I've never seen snow tires. I have no idea what they look like.

They should be called a tire for snow weather as snow does not have any tires at all. (lol)

The tread design for a snow tire is a bit different than a normal tire, however, the actual compound of the tire makes more a difference that anything else. Good snow weather tires can make a large difference in overall traction, steering, and stopping.

Find the website, "tire rack" they should have some short video presentation on snow tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn