Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snowed In...?

Foxer55

A-List Customer
I'm surprised the fora aren't sizzling today given the weather in the U.S. northeast. Here in the DC area we have about 3 inches of snow which is a trifle I admit but the temperature is 20 degrees F or about -7 degrees C to all the non-Yanks. There's also a steady wind which is dropping the chill factor to around 10 or 15 F. Sidewalk is shoveled and now to settle in for a cold night. I imagine folks like LizzieMaine are just plain snowed in today.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Foxer,

I live in DC but came up to Boston for the New Year's holiday. I have been snowed in since yesterday so I have been sitting in the lobby of the hotel reading the news and posting on the Lounge from my ipad. I would really like to get out and do something today, maybe go to the JFK museum. I'll make up my mind shortly if I want to spend a second day sitting in the lobby. But it hasn't been bad, I am at the Omni Parker House and the lobby is very Golden Era and I have been speaking to people from various countries and having a relaxing good time.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm snowed in and working from home - my office is closed today, along with dozens of school districts. It looks like we only got about four inches here (areas nearby got more like eight or nine), but I'm not even going to try and shovel out until tomorrow. It's just crazy cold (currently 9 degrees in Peekskill, plus a stiff wind-chill) and my entire front walk is in the shade.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Working from home isn't an option for me, so I'm at work, figuring there are people who will come to a show no matter what the weather. It took me two and a half hours to shovel out my driveway this morning -- not because there was all that much snow, we got another eight inches on top of what we had -- but because it's so cold my hands went numb after being outside more than five minutes. I also had to take my glasses off because the lenses immediately frosted over and I couldn't see anything at all.

Right now, at high noon, it's three-tenths of a degree above zero. We'll be fifteen to twenty below tonight easy, so I'm setting up space heaters to keep the pipes from freezing.

It's days like this I think spending ten dollars for a pair of WW2 army surplus "Mountain Pants" thirty years ago was the best investment I ever made.

Last edited:

Nobert

Practically Family
I'm up at my parents' is western Maine right now. We got a few inches last night, but that's after digging out of the foot and a half or so we got last weekend. Right now the cold is more of an issue. I don't know the actual temperature, but when it reaches the point where your ears hurt after you come inside, I stop keeping track.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine,

Working from home isn't an option for me, so I'm at work, figuring there are people who will come to a show no matter what the weather.

Nothing like going to the movies on a cold Friday night, all bundled up, nice and warm, and hot buttered popcorn. What's the playbill for tonight?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We got 18 inches of new snow. We're at -3 F right now, they say we won't top zero today. Windchill is at least in the late teens below zero.

Most things around here are closed. My husband has the day off, and I'm a stay at home mom so we're hanging out here.

epr25

Practically Family
I'm in northern Indiana and we have about 8" of snow now with allot of wind. One good thing is that it is blindingly bright with allot sunshine. Our high fro Monday is -7 crazy!

I'm in midIndiana with about 8 " of snow as well. Not really snowed in yet...but more snow on the way. Possibly 10 " or even much more by Sunday. Sub zero temps this morning and even dipping down to the coldest weather in 20 yrs by first of the week. -15 or so.
HD

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Jackie and I almost bought tickets to the Packers game Sunday. Thank goodness I've got court Monday or she may have actually talked me into going. I understand that the low in Green Bay Sunday night will be -20. That's not the wind chill, that's air temperature.

AF

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Southern Ontario Canada, across Lake Ontario from Rochester. Very cold today -23C this morning but sunny and bright. Has now warmed up to -13 which is the warmest it has been all week. Tomorrow supposed to be -1.

Mickey85

New in Town
I'm in midIndiana with about 8 " of snow as well. Not really snowed in yet...but more snow on the way. Possibly 10 " or even much more by Sunday. Sub zero temps this morning and even dipping down to the coldest weather in 20 yrs by first of the week. -15 or so.
HD

Same here up in the NWI. About 5" on the ground, supposed to get up to 14" by Monday morning. When the high will be -15F. Not looking forward to that. Glad I have thick wool socks in my Dr. Martens, along with a solid wool overcoat. I'll be roasty toasty on the way to work...assuming the car will start. My Subaru doesn't seem to like single digit starting...we'll see how it does with negative-teens.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Mickey,

Same here up in the NWI. About 5" on the ground, supposed to get up to 14" by Monday morning. When the high will be -15F. Not looking forward to that. Glad I have thick wool socks in my Dr. Martens, along with a solid wool overcoat. I'll be roasty toasty on the way to work...assuming the car will start. My Subaru doesn't seem to like single digit starting...we'll see how it does with negative-teens.

Join the political class here in Washington and just take the day off.

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Snow?! What's that?

With all this talk of being trapped under snow, I suppose it would be a little insensitive to say how it's sunny and in the 50's down here in Mississippi. . . . :whistling

;)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
15 inches of snow here, and more to come. High winds and a low temp around minus 35! Break out the hot chocolate and brandy. All of our storm doors have to be forced opened as the snow is drifted up on them.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
As usual, Schizophrenic weather here! 60 degrees Friday, I rode my motorcycles for about 2 hours, snow yesterday, teens today, and expet 50s on Wednesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails