Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snowed In...?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
As usual, Schizophrenic weather here! 60 degrees Friday, I rode my motorcycles for about 2 hours, snow yesterday, teens today, and expet 50s on Wednesday.

Same thing here. It is 68 degrees right now at 8:40 in the morning. The low tonite is supposed supposed to be 15. Its a wonder building foundations don't crack.

0106140851_zps03e5f53d.jpg

AF

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Same here up in the NWI. About 5" on the ground, supposed to get up to 14" by Monday morning. When the high will be -15F. Not looking forward to that. Glad I have thick wool socks in my Dr. Martens, along with a solid wool overcoat. I'll be roasty toasty on the way to work...assuming the car will start. My Subaru doesn't seem to like single digit starting...we'll see how it does with negative-teens.

I didn't even attempt to go to work. Porter county has declared a state of emergency on the county roads & INDOT has halted traffic of most if not all of the state highways along with two of the three interstates. The only reason that the toll road isn't closed is because it is owned by a private company. I'm not even going to attempt to start my truck until later this afternoon, if even then.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Same thing here. It is 68 degrees right now at 8:40 in the morning. The low tonite is supposed supposed to be 15. Its a wonder building foundations don't crack.

0106140851_zps03e5f53d.jpg

AF

That's a crazy temperature fluctuation AF. At least you've got good reason to wear one of those nice nylon flight jackets you have tonight!

Mickey85

New in Town
I didn't even attempt to go to work. Porter county has declared a state of emergency on the county roads & INDOT has halted traffic of most if not all of the state highways along with two of the three interstates. The only reason that the toll road isn't closed is because it is owned by a private company. I'm not even going to attempt to start my truck until later this afternoon, if even then.

I live in Marshall County and work in Porter County, going through Starke on my way - all three are closed UFN. Here at the homestead, its -13. The magic box says it's -35 windchill. I'm glad I've got a heated garage, but haven't run the heat out there today.

On the bright side, I've got two radiator-style space heaters. I turned them both on and cranked them, and got the house to 68 yesterday after closing off all the rooms I'm not using and putting blankets in the windows. Today, it's -13 outside, but the heaters are keeping it to 63, more or less. I have the furnace set to 60, just in case, but with propane being $2.84/gal, I'm trying to run that as little as possible. otherwise, it probably wouldn't stop running with this cold...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's 46 degrees and drizzling rain right now, and is expected drop to the teens tonight. Once all the melt freezes over, the whole town will be a skating rink.

Truck Day is February 8th. Just a little more than a month till the first sign of spring.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've got two radiator-style space heaters. I turned them both on and cranked them, and got the house to 68 yesterday after closing off all the rooms I'm not using and putting blankets in the windows. Today, it's -13 outside, but the heaters are keeping it to 63, more or less. I have the furnace set to 60, just in case, but with propane being $2.84/gal, I'm trying to run that as little as possible. otherwise, it probably wouldn't stop running with this cold...

Yeah, the main problem with this kind of weather in North Carolina is that most people here heat their homes with air to air heat pumps. Heat pumps are fine for most of our winter weather, and they are splendid air conditioners, but they are pretty much worthless when the temperature falls below 25 degrees. The heat pump's compressor runs constantly and the heat must be provided by the auxiliary heat panels. I installed gas logs in my house a couple of months ago. I'm glad I did. I think they'll get a work out during the next several days.

AF

Nobert

Practically Family
Just plain yuck up here, freezing rain. Having only recently uprighted themselves from the last ice storm, the trees are once again bowed like a bunch of Japanese courtiers who have been informed that the emperor is about to enter the room.

Took the X-mas tree down. The star on the top was additionally ornamented with cobwebs. Apparently some spider has decided that it would not rather be a pig.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, the main problem with this kind of weather in North Carolina is that most people here heat their homes with air to air heat pumps. Heat pumps are fine for most of our winter weather, and they are splendid air conditioners, but they are pretty much worthless when the temperature falls below 25 degrees. The heat pump's compressor runs constantly and the heat must be provided by the auxiliary heat panels. I installed gas logs in my house a couple of months ago. I'm glad I did. I think they'll get a work out during the next several days.

AF

Hi

The house we had built in 1995 has the heat pump in Kansas. We were forced to buy the heat pump because the builder got a rebate, or at least that's what I was told LATER. Heat pumps are more or less worthless below 25 degrees F. I won't own another one on purpose.

later

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Hi

The house we had built in 1995 has the heat pump in Kansas. We were forced to buy the heat pump because the builder got a rebate, or at least that's what I was told LATER. Heat pumps are more or less worthless below 25 degrees F. I won't own another one on purpose.

later

Heat pumps work beautifully even in cold climates if the associated back-up heater is appropriate. In Michigan I generally specify a condensing gas furnace as back-up. The total installation cost is but a few hundred dollars ($400.00 or so) above that of a unit with electric resistance back-up and evn that is made up by the savings on the electric service. The sort of installation also is eligible for efficiency credits from the utility company the Federal tax breaks.

Your contractor did you a disservice there, OM.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
10:00 PM here in the DC suburbs Monday night and its down to about 12 F or - 11 C. Snow is gone but that's damned cold here in these parts.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
10:00 PM here in the DC suburbs Monday night and its down to about 12 F or - 11 C. Snow is gone but that's damned cold here in these parts.

You're having a veritable heat wave, aren't you? Here in Cleveland it is currently -12F (-24C), with an expected low tonight of -18F (-28C). Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 2F (-17C).

Piker.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
vitanola,

You're having a veritable heat wave, aren't you? Here in Cleveland it is currently -12F (-24C), with an expected low tonight of -18F (-28C). Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 2F (-17C).

Do I detect a bit of bragging here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff