Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, do you wear Sunscreen?

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
MissHannah said:
Here's a question: what is the difference between a face cream or lotion that has SPF30 written on it and actual sunscreen with an SPF of 30? The face cream won't offer the same level of protection as the sunscreen will it?
I think sunscreen's secret is in its staying power. They made, generally, to be waterproof or sweatproof.

I think lotion with SPF 30 is great for protecting against the sun on a day to day basis, like if you are working in an office and need to pop out for lunch, but I wouldn't trust it for prolonged sun exposure.

Granted I wouldn't trust traditional sunscreen for prolonged sun exposure without reapplying.

MissHannah

One Too Many
That's what I've always thought too. I try to wear SPF 50 under my make-up in summer (although I pretty much never sit in the sun for any length of time) but I still get the odd freckle on my nose even so! And that's in England!

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
I've heard that the SPF isn't how strong it is but it dictates as to how often you reapply. If that is true then if the SPF in a lotion is the same as in a sunscreen then the staying power should be the same.

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
i_am_the_scruff said:
I've heard that the SPF isn't how strong it is but it dictates as to how often you reapply. If that is true then if the SPF in a lotion is the same as in a sunscreen then the staying power should be the same.

SPF is the Sun Protection Factor. The following comes from Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt.

"The SPF of a sunscreen is a laboratory measure of the effectiveness of sunscreen — the higher the SPF, the more protection a sunscreen offers against UV-B (the ultraviolet radiation that causes sunburn).

The SPF is the amount of UV radiation required to cause sunburn on skin with the sunscreen on, relative to the amount required without the sunscreen.[7] So, wearing a sunscreen with SPF 50, your skin will not burn until it has been exposed to 50 times the amount of solar energy that would normally cause it to burn."

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
MirandaFern said:
SPF is the Sun Protection Factor. The following comes from Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt.

"The SPF of a sunscreen is a laboratory measure of the effectiveness of sunscreen — the higher the SPF, the more protection a sunscreen offers against UV-B (the ultraviolet radiation that causes sunburn).

The SPF is the amount of UV radiation required to cause sunburn on skin with the sunscreen on, relative to the amount required without the sunscreen.[7] So, wearing a sunscreen with SPF 50, your skin will not burn until it has been exposed to 50 times the amount of solar energy that would normally cause it to burn."

Ah. Well, I actually read about it being how often you reapply here lol. A lady (I can't remember who) said she works in skin care and seemed a little irritated at the fact it's a common misconception that people think it's the strength. I don't know though! :D

Puzzicato

One Too Many
i_am_the_scruff said:
Ah. Well, I actually read about it being how often you reapply here lol. A lady (I can't remember who) said she works in skin care and seemed a little irritated at the fact it's a common misconception that people think it's the strength. I don't know though! :D

Tomato/tomahto. Whether it is the literal strength or the length of time you are protected surely the main thing is to appreciate that the higher the number, the longer you can go between reapplications?

I agree with MirandaFern, I think the chief difference between sunscreen and face creams with an SPF is the formulation - sunscreen is primarily designed to deliver the SPF and keep it on your face, face cream is designed to do whatever else (make you young and beautiful and irresistible to men, apparently) with the SPF as a fringe benefit.

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
i_am_the_scruff said:

That I believe. People seem to think that if they wear a higher SPF, they will be protected longer.

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
Being Irish I have ridiculously pale skin....covered in freckles! I have like a line of them right across my face under my eyes! I wear Garnier SPF30 EVERYDAY, reapplying during the day to my arms and legs (if they are exposed) and I use a parasol if I'm out and about.

My problem area is my legs! I have very dry skin on my right leg only (and eczema on my hands and feet :( ) and have been left with slightly redder marks on my skin, not hugely noticeable but still there! At the moment I use silcocks base as a moisturizer, is there anything that anyone can recommend to get rid of marks? I tried Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula (for about a month) but to no avail.

Thanks x

MissHannah

One Too Many
I have a trouble eczema spot on my right shin (nowhere else - how weird is that?!) and I've had really good results using a Nelsons graphites cream I got from my local health food store. I'd tried every cream from the pharmacist with no luck at all but this made a huge difference and really reduced the redness, which I had feared was scar tissue.

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
MissHannah said:
I have a trouble eczema spot on my right shin (nowhere else - how weird is that?!) and I've had really good results using a Nelsons graphites cream I got from my local health food store. I'd tried every cream from the pharmacist with no luck at all but this made a huge difference and really reduced the redness, which I had feared was scar tissue.

Thanks MissHannah...I'll have to try this out! X

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
Sunscreen? Definitely...

Trader Joe's 'Enrich Moisturizing Facial Lotion SPF15'. Slather it on the face and neck. Feels luxuriously rich, yet it absorbs really well for non-greasy, oil-free, fragrance-free, PABA-free UVA/UVB solar-blocking goodness. :) (...and it sure doesn't hurt that's it's only $3.99)

littleblackcar

New in Town
My regular facial moisturizer is SPF 15, and since I work indoors all the time, sun isn't that big an issue. I wear sunscreen and a big hat if I'm going to be out that much, though. I hate sunburn.

lframe

One of the Regulars
JazzyDame said:
Trader Joe's 'Enrich Moisturizing Facial Lotion SPF15'. Slather it on the face and neck. Feels luxuriously rich, yet it absorbs really well for non-greasy, oil-free, fragrance-free, PABA-free UVA/UVB solar-blocking goodness. :) (...and it sure doesn't hurt that's it's only $3.99)

I love the Trader Joe's 'Enrich! It's a fantastic product at a fantastic price.

When I am going to be in the sun for an extended period of time? I apply moisturizer w/spf, then add in a high spf (100), and top with my makeup which has SPF.

I get pink and then tan, but am so meticulous due to family members that have had battles with melanoma.

HepKitty

One Too Many
lframe said:
I love the Trader Joe's 'Enrich! It's a fantastic product at a fantastic price.

When I am going to be in the sun for an extended period of time? I apply moisturizer w/spf, then add in a high spf (100), and top with my makeup which has SPF.

I get pink and then tan, but am so meticulous due to family members that have had battles with melanoma.

Trader Joe's anything is the bomb, I love that place. good, really good stuff for cheap! I am so unfortunate as to live nowhere near one, so I have my friend in Seattle send me vanilla and vitamins. I may have to have her send some of their sunblock to see if it will work for me

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
My parents are from Jamaica but I was born in England. Whenever we go to Jamaica for a holiday I ALWAYS have to wear sunscreen. I also sometimes wear sunscreen when I'm at home in England. However, when I went to Paris last week I didn't wear any and suffered some of the most PAINFUL sunburn I've ever had on the back of my neck!
I supposed I could put my bad reaction to the sun down to the heavy mixture of other races in my grandparents as I do have ginger streaks in my hair and the hairs on my arms and legs are blonde?

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I have definitely learned my lesson!
I always knew I was capable of burning but there are so many black people who firmly believe that their skin can't burn - including my father - who had to learn that he was wrong the hard way!

unaspenser

New in Town
I definitely wear sunscreen! I mix my daily moisturizer with sunscreen half and half with my foundation most days. Normally I also wear a light-colored long-sleeved shirt (I fly fish and have some great fly fishing shirts that have SPF 30 fabric) and a wide-brimmed hat when outdoors. This is partially for comfort, as it gets darn hot in southern Idaho in the summer, but also due to vanity. Though I am of Northern European descent (mostly from the British Isles) I have a golden undertone to my skin and tan easily. I have freckles year-round, but they are certainly more prominent in the summer. Personally I love the look of a pale complexion, and it's so much healthier on your body.

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
I'm very Casper-esque and need sunscreen. I'm just now learning to not fight the pale.
I wear a floppy hat in summer and usually spf 50. I just buy the Baby sunscreen spray since I have a little one. And spray it all over, which is so much better than the lotion for me. And then my makeup usually has some spf in it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner