Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Cat Lassie is the spitting image of my cat Polo....& he also has the same attitude.
Unlike ‘Porsche” my other cat who acts more dog than cat.
For her, I am her world & passion.
fejb60.jpg

Porsche ;)

Polo & Co.
35bh6b5.jpg

“Let me guess...he’s right behind me...right..?"

Last edited:

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
I'm not a cat person because of the way they ignore you, when called they stand there looking at you like you're the stupid one, and the only time they act like they're glad to see you is when you have a can of cat food in your hand. Cats are the prissiest of all animals and I can't abide prissiness in animals or humans. Give me a good old loyal dog any day.

I'm not a cat person because of the way they ignore you, when called they stand there looking at you like you're the stupid one, and the only time they act like they're glad to see you is when you have a can of cat food in your hand. Cats are the prissiest of all animals and I can't abide prissiness in animals or humans. Give me a good old loyal dog any day.
That really depends on the owners and how they treat their cats. Our cats have always been very affectionate (with my wife and I, anyway) because we give them a great deal of attention, and on occasion have even been able to convince other peoples' cats that we're not so bad; sometimes to the point where those cats respond to us better than they respond to their owners. :D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
How do those of you that commute to work survive traffic jams? I spent about 30 minutes in one today in Denver, not sure how I would survive hours a day in one.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
How do those of you that commute to work survive traffic jams? I spent about 30 minutes in one today in Denver, not sure how I would survive hours a day in one.

Mind over matter.
As a TV news-cameraman for several years covering homicides & traffic fatalities everyday,
I have built an attitude in handling a situation like the one you mentioned.
At the end of my work shift & going home...
I feel good that I made it through the day & give thanks.
I’m in no hurry to get to my next destination. I’ll listen to music that relaxes me.
I’ll think about plans for the weekend & my projects which I enjoy.

Also, after many years driving all over the city, I have developed a route that I know
will not get me inside a traffic jam. Mostly I avoid the freeway. It might take a little
bit longer, but I’m in no hurry.
If I get off work during the height of the traffic congestion, I will walk to the
book shop, or pick up something to eat.
By the time I have done this the traffic has cleared

One thing that has helped me is being able at times to cope when there
are accidents on the road.
I was doing some video of the sleet on the freeway. This lady was going a bit fast
& did a 360º and came to a halt on the exit ramp in the middle of the road.
She was ok, but just sat there stunned without moving. I went over & took her out.
The next car was coming a little too fast & slammed on the brakes but kept going
& completely totaled the lady’s car.
People are always in a hurry or on that darn cell phone.

Last edited:
When I started working at my last place of employment in 1987 my one-way commute (12-13 miles) took about 20-30 minutes. 18 years later, that had increased to a minimum of one hour. 2jakes is right--you have to adjust your mindset and accept the fact that it's going to take that long, then just relax and find a way to enjoy the ride. Getting stressed out or angry about it will only make it more intolerable.

I hate commuting. Some people are not wired to do it / others are. I had a 1.5 hour (if all went well, and it usually didn't) commute into NYC when I started working. It drove me crazy from the crowds, the delays, the loss of time, etc. Once I could afford to, I moved closer and then into the city. For over half of my thirty year career, I've walked to work and now I work from home.

But that's just me, commuters into NYC are a special breed. I have friends who commute well over two hours each way, every day.

I used to think "the check is in the mail," and "there is another train immediately behind this one" were the two most commonly told lies, but now I believe it is a person who commutes into NYC saying, "my commute is only X minutes." It is never, ever accurate and it is alway a low number. I believe this is because the commuter has to lie to him or herself as a self defense mechanism as (1) he / she doesn't want to admit to themselves how much time they spend commuting and (2) they don't want others to know.

DNO

One Too Many
That really depends on the owners and how they treat their cats. Our cats have always been very affectionate (with my wife and I, anyway) because we give them a great deal of attention, and on occasion have even been able to convince other peoples' cats that we're not so bad; sometimes to the point where those cats respond to us better than they respond to their owners. :D

I'm late to the feline discussion but I feel a bit obliged to come to the defence of these furry friends. My son named the cat who currently lives under our roof...an affectionate if somewhat wary beast...but I wanted to name him after the feline hero who served on HMS Amethyst during the 1949 incident: Simon. I won't go into details but Simon was, I believe, the only cat to be awarded the Dickin Medal for animal bravery.

Here's a link to his tale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_(cat)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL