Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
So a dad takes his kids to the War and Peace show here in the UK, re enactor event covering military conflicts through the years. Many of the re enactors walk around in full military uniform amongst the stalls selling all related stuff including toys. Now of course some sell toy guns and ammo etc, kiddy sized uniforms and weapons such as grenades, rifles, steel(plastic) helmets so that the young ones feel they can be part of the event. What a downer for the 10 year old if dad takes you here and says "Mum won't have guns and things like that around the house" which I overheard. Result! 3 bawling children showing off.
Now please don't say parents should teach their children to behave better in public, it would have been far better for the dad to have taken the kids on another adventure day out than show them all this stuff and say 'look but don't touchl and 'no you can't join in with the other children enjoying playing soldiers'
I suppose swords, bows and arrows knights in armour and Robin Hood type stuff is ok though.
Damn modern world:mad:

Typing anything on a Smart Phone -- it's like trying to write with a WWII Enigma machine! The keyboard is so tiny that you make the EXACT same typo at least a dozen times in a row. It amazes me that the geniuses in Silicon Valley haven't figured out how to enlarge it yet.

Yup. And autocorrect that still can't figure out that that lone "s" with a space on either side, used right before a noun, is supposed to be the letter immediately to its left on the keyboard. You know, an "a," that frequently used one-letter indefinite article.

I got no problem with bikers, in general. But this extraordinary-loud chopperism on the streets, around smalltown, that bumps into your eardrum, if you don't have your windows closed, nervs me. :confused:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
So a dad takes his kids to the War and Peace show here in the UK, re enactor event covering military conflicts through the years. Many of the re enactors walk around in full military uniform amongst the stalls selling all related stuff including toys. Now of course some sell toy guns and ammo etc, kiddy sized uniforms and weapons such as grenades, rifles, steel(plastic) helmets so that the young ones feel they can be part of the event. What a downer for the 10 year old if dad takes you here and says "Mum won't have guns and things like that around the house" which I overheard. Result! 3 bawling children showing off.
Now please don't say parents should teach their children to behave better in public, it would have been far better for the dad to have taken the kids on another adventure day out than show them all this stuff and say 'look but don't touchl and 'no you can't join in with the other children enjoying playing soldiers'
I suppose swords, bows and arrows knights in armour and Robin Hood type stuff is ok though.

" Daddy's taking me to Syria for my birthday so I can play proper soldiers" :rolleyes:
visitors-young-and-old-wander-through-the-war-and-peace-show-the-worlds-bnjtp1.jpg

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars

I agree 100%, but I'm American so my views are biased. I grew up with guns in the house. My father was a professional hunting guide and I owned my first rifle at 10 years old. I don't think "guns are the Devil". I agree, if you're going to take your boys to a military festival, you should be prepared to let them play military for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My mom wouldn't let me play with toy guns when I was a kid which is why I am the gun enthusiast that I am today. Thanks, Mom!

My folks didn't mind my playing with
toy guns or air rifles.
But I stopped when I was ten after
wounding a bird on the wing.
I took care of it and the bird was able
to fly again.
It was not until I was 19 that I picked
up a gun again.
Thanks, Uncle Sam! :D

Maybe I've been drinking the local koolaid too long. Over here mayo on fries is the way to go and catsup is viewed as an American abomination. Don't keel haul me. When in Rome and all that.
I had never considered or even heard of mayonnaise on french fries until it was mentioned in Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction back in 1994. My initial reaction was not favorable, but I felt I should at least try it before I condemned it. It's not bad, but I still prefer a side of blue cheese salad dressing with my fries.

I played with toy guns (cap pistols and such) when I was a wee lad and don't recall my parents ever having anything to say about it, good or bad. By the time I graduated to a friend's BB gun I had already learned to respect it for what it was and knew someone could get seriously injured (or worse) if it was misused or mistreated. As an adult I've gone with family and friends to a few shooting ranges and enjoyed it, but so far haven't developed the desire to own a gun myself.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I had never considered or even heard of mayonnaise on french fries until it was mentioned in Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction back in 1994. My initial reaction was not favorable, but I felt I should at least try it before I condemned it. It's not bad, but I still prefer a side of blue cheese salad dressing with my fries.

I played with toy guns (cap pistols and such) when I was a wee lad and don't recall my parents ever having anything to say about it, good or bad. By the time I graduated to a friend's BB gun I had already learned to respect it for what it was and knew someone could get seriously injured (or worse) if it was misused or mistreated. As an adult I've gone with family and friends to a few shooting ranges and enjoyed it, but so far haven't developed the desire to own a gun myself.

I own a shotgun (recommended by the police) which I keep
by my bedside.

The cops said that this was far superior and the chances of
hitting the target (intruder) would be great.
They added I should make sure the burglar was inside
the house..
They provided me with their phone number and would help
me, “drag the body inside the house!" in case I shot him
in the yard as he was running away.
They said a magnum gun would be too powerful and I might
miss. The bullet would penetrate and proceed towards the
neighbors.

This was a conversation I had with the cops when my house was burglarized.

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Peeve:

I enjoy animation and other forms of entertainment (such as the Muppets) that contain sophisticated humor but that some see as, "for the kiddies." I loathe to go to a theatre showing where there will likely be a lot of the little ones present. When they laugh at an obvious gag (e.g., Kermit riding a bike in the original "Muppet Movie") their laughter is obnoxiously forced and too loud... and you can't hear the next pun ("...gone with the Schwinn.") or enjoy the gag itself.

Tell me, Miss Lizzie: does your establishment ever run such features later at night where there will likely be more adults present for that- or other- reasons? I like kids as a general rule, but sometimes their presence in a theatre can distract from the feature and constitute a nuisance.

When I was a pre-adolescent living on the outskirts of Madison, Wisconsin, on a dead-end gravel road with houses on one side and an overgrown field of some considerable acreage on the other, my brother, the kid who lived kitty-corner behind our house, and I would open the door to our attached garage and from inside that garage we'd shoot .22's at birds and rabbits and whatnot out in the field.

This was grossly irresponsible of us, and it was grossly irresponsible of the neighbor kid's dad to allow such irresponsible youngsters access to what are undeniably deadly weapons, even though we did take precautions against the grownups ever finding out. (Had the adults known, well, the consequences would have been decidedly unpleasant.) It's among the foolish actions of mine upon which I look back and say, "If not for the grace of the god of your choice ..."

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Defenitly improves the flavour of a McDonalds Big Mac or virtually any burger sold by McDonalds. Unfortunately they don't sell/use it here in the UK. Which is why I try to avoid McDonalds unless there is no option.:eek:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
And german eco-fundy-hipsterism:

0:50

;););)
A German friend at university in the 1980s was on the Realo wing of Die Grunen and seemed to spend more time opposing the Fundis than, say, the CDU. I thought the Fundis had pretty much died out but perhaps they've undergone a resurgence in these curious times.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I own a shotgun (recommended by the police) which I keep
by my bedside.

The cops said that this was far superior and the chances of
hitting the target (intruder) would be great.
They added I should make sure the burglar was inside
the house...

A legal clear kill zone. No punji stakes, barbed wire, claymores, or beer cans dangling off the wire with small pebbles inside;
just make sure the infiltrator is inside the zone before the squeeze.:D
---------------

The Cubs failure to establish and maintain a consistent strike zone. Way too much wild swinging.:mad:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Peeve:

I enjoy animation and other forms of entertainment (such as the Muppets) that contain sophisticated humor but that some see as, "for the kiddies." I loathe to go to a theatre showing where there will likely be a lot of the little ones present. When they laugh at an obvious gag (e.g., Kermit riding a bike in the original "Muppet Movie") their laughter is obnoxiously forced and too loud... and you can't hear the next pun ("...gone with the Schwinn.") or enjoy the gag itself.

Tell me, Miss Lizzie: does your establishment ever run such features later at night where there will likely be more adults present for that- or other- reasons? I like kids as a general rule, but sometimes their presence in a theatre can distract from the feature and constitute a nuisance.

We've never done that -- midnite shows would be a hard sell here, where most people go to bed by 11. We ran "The Muppet Movie" last fall, and there were actually fewer kids present than adults, even though the show ran on a Sunday afternoon. I've spent my share of time pondering that.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
This is so trivial, yet I'm not ticked off
anymore.

My apple came crashing down the other
day.
Bam!

First reaction was frustration. But now,
I have more time to enjoy many things that I used to before I got hooked on Mac!

I'm using my phone to post this.
Everyone looks really tiny! :)

Last edited:
A legal clear kill zone...just make sure the infiltrator is inside the zone before the squeeze.:D
I wish it were that simple here. Y'see, in California you can't legally assault someone simply because they're in your home--you have to be able to prove you were defending your life and/or the lives of anyone present at the time. Shoot an intruder in your house, and you'd better put a weapon in his/her hand if he/she doesn't already have one. And they had better be facing the right way, because if the investigators believe the intruder was attempting to escape your "self defense" story goes right out of the window. Now, any intelligent, reasonable, and experienced investigator will usually side with the homeowner as long as everything seems legit, especially if the intruder is on their radar for some reason. But if it winds up in a courtroom...well, we've all heard the horror stories of what can happen there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points