Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Having moved a little over a year ago, at least in the US, the consumer has every option in the world for furniture. You can buy high quality, fully built and assembled furniture delivered to your house for (yup) a high price (possibly a fair price, but high - and past our budget).

You can also hunt out that same / similar furniture from a variety of discounters. Also, you can move down in price and still get decent quality furniture fully assembled and delivered. And at each step, there are discounters of all sorts.

On and on it goes - quality price trade offs, less quality is usually less expensive (not always), nice store and easy service usually more expensive, buy on line and deal with shipping/assembly/service issues usually saves money, buy used save more money, willing to assemble save more money....

Perhaps (we rarely buy furniture) the market has moved in one direction or another (it's implied above that it's moved to assemble-yourself furniture), but our experience is that - no exaggeration at all - every single option and combination of options exists with the to-be-expected trade-offs priced pretty much as you'd expect.

Consumerism, market or just human nature - we found nothing odd about the options in the furniture world.

Full disclosure, we are still 70% unfurnished as our renovation was more involved than we thought and then our parents' health issues seemed to expand right when we moved in - so we haven't returned to buying what we need yet. But when we do, I'm comfortable that all the options will be there for us.

Fun aside, there's a good old movie - shown frequently on TCM - "Executive Suite" that centers on a furniture manufacturer and, in part, the quality price trade off of the marketplace.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Supply & demand. The market wants cheap, easily transportable furniture which flat packed self-assembly furniture fills. Probably every house in the western world has at least one item from the dreaded IKEA. :rolleyes: Consumerism rules.

I've never been in an Ikea -- the nearest one to here is in Stoughton, Massachusetts, which is a long way to drive when you can pick up furniture just as good off the side of the road.

So trivial, yet... When you call a company and the recorded message tells you all the wonderful things you can accomplish "without a wait" on its website.

Come on, the internet was not invented yesterday - people know it is there / that the company has a site / that you can do a bunch of things at that site.

Those calling have either not found what they needed there (that's me - I always try the web first 'cause I have no desire to talk with someone on the phone especially after enduring all the hurdles the company will put between me and a live person) or they don't want to use the website (that's my 85 year old mother - sorry companies, older people aren't going to kill themselves so that you can stop phone support).

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
There is no comparison between the theater and watching at home a movie.
I enjoy each for what they have to offer.

I usually never attend a movie at a theater alone.
Part of the joy for me is sharing with my friends and the audience what is
happening on the screen.

At home, I have favorites that I watch by myself in the comfort that I can pause,
rewind or go to different movie when the mood strikes.

Other times, I will watch a movie at home with someone that shares the same
sentiments.

Everyone expresses what is best for themselves. That is fine.
What ticks me off are those individuals who have to knock down
others if they have different likes then themselves.

Supply & demand. The market wants cheap, easily transportable furniture which flat packed self-assembly furniture fills. Probably every house in the western world has at least one item from the dreaded IKEA. :rolleyes: Consumerism rules.

That's about the size of it. IKEA has gotten people regarding furniture much as they regard clothing -- it'll last until fashions change.

The stuff is generally attractive. Quite. But I'd advise against it for commercial use. It's just not sturdy enough. I shall always remember overhearing the words of the young man talking to the young woman accompanying him as we all entered the IKEA store in Renton, Wash.: "The key to IKEA's success is that they make cheap s*it look good."

"Do-it-yourself-Germany" was surely a gold-vein for Ikea. And additional, they realized the future a second time and developed the stores to real family-stores, with a low "inhibition level", which is a big thing in old child-unfriendly Germany!

I never visited Ikea and I don't need them, but seemingly, it became german children's-playground 2.0. Ikea made it to bond the mobile families to them. They achieved, what McDonalds or others didn't achieve, twenty years ago.

Let us see, what market-saturation will bring. ;)

I only go to IKEA to eat. Their Swedish meatballs are only $4.99 though the last time I was there I had their pulled pork. :D

P4pgCRJ.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
They really need to slam on the breaks and begin a strict regime of English lessons.

I've also about had it with all these Writer J. McWriterly types who like to say "quotidian" when they mean "ordinary" or "mundane." That's the easiest way possible to show the world you're a hack.
We have a TV show called The Great British Bake Off. The two judges are so pompous I just can't watch it. One of them made all the newspapers when tasting an apple and blackberry pie. On tasting the filling he remarked that the brambles were under done. Brambles? His take on blackberries, and under done. A ripe blackberry is delicious raw, so when it's warm with apples and added sugar, are you telling me that his pallet is so refined that he can tell you that the brambles are under done.

Today's posts in this thread brought to you by the letter "F".
I worked for a guy who thought that free was a four letter word beginning with F.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart