Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

We're old enough to remember when air travel was a BFD. My first commercial flight, via Northwest Orient Airlines, came in my 13th year. (I had flown in light aircraft, piloted by my stepfather.) I recall people getting gussied up for the flight and expensive EVERYTHING in the passenger terminals. Even the vending machines charged twice what you could get the goodies for at the gas station half a mile away.

Air travel was for the well-to-do and those whose employers were picking up the tab. Deregulation of the industry killed many of the carriers and diminished service to some locales, but it's been an overall boon to the public. We moan about being herded like cattle at the airports and packed in like sardines aboard the planes, but dang, you can fly from coast to coast for what a not-rich person sees for a day's efforts. For that, I don't expect white glove service.
I am so old I can remember flying BOAC back home from England and the "stewardesses" passing out individual cigarettes from silver trays to those passengers that wanted to smoke. I felt like a bigshot!

@LizzieMaine
Yep. People saw all the movies until the 2000s on classic cinema-screen, with bad resolution or often the projector out of focus (Germany). In cinema, the people follow the action, not the details.
So, I don't really comprehend, why people don't want to keep the movies "in good memory". They want it on clear, high definition at home? So, they want to see a total refurbished or even another movie, which looks maybe like brightly-polished trash?? Come one, the old movies were made only for cinema-screen, not for home-DVD players.

I will surely watch "Django", if the old movie will be shown at any cinema, here, eventually. But never on DVD at home!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Self-assembly furniture, especially relatively minor items like the show rack I've just ordered and find I have to assemble from scratch because the manufacturer can't be bothered to do it! When am I - or all the millions of my overworked fellow countrymen - supposed to find time to read, let alone act on, the incomprehensible 'instructions' enclosed.

@LizzieMaine
Yep. People saw all the movies until the 2000s on classic cinema-screen, with bad resolution or often the projector out of focus (Germany). In cinema, the people follow the action, not the details.
So, I don't really comprehend, why people don't want to keep the movies "in good memory". They want it on clear, high definition at home? So, they want to see a total refurbished or even another movie, which looks maybe like brightly-polished trash?? Come one, the old movies were made only for cinema-screen, not for home-DVD players.

I will surely watch "Django", if the old movie will be shown at any cinema, here, eventually. But never on DVD at home!

Not all of us have to have the exact experience of the movie theater nor were the limits of whatever technology was in use at the time some defining perfect of the movie experience for all of us. I don't need to keep the movies "in good memory" as, noted below, my first experience with many movies wasn't even in the movie theater. And if it was, so what - I saw "Jaws," first, in the movie theater but have derived much enjoyment from it over the years in cable TV format, VHS format, DVD format and now (at some point, I'm sure) streaming format.

I grew up watching "Casablanca" on TV - the same way I've experienced most classic movies - and only got to see it in a movie theater as an adult. Are all my viewings of those TV versions of classic movies somehow adulterated? Maybe, but whatever, a good story, good acting, good directing will come through even if knocked around a bit owing to format issues.

Also, I watched most things in B&W as a kid, even though, by then, most TV shows were being made in color. "Star Trek" did change a bit for me when I finally saw it in color, but only superficially - the thoughtfulness of the stories and the dimensions of the characters are what make ST, ST - the rest, the seams of Spock's ears, cheesiness of Kirk's toupee, whatever are fun for fandom (myself included), but not something that destroys the core of the experience or its value as a defining show.

Hence, I've enjoyed seeing ST in its new high def (or whatever what they did to make it so clear is called) not because I don't understand that it is different than how it was experienced in the '60s, but because the essence never changes (my interpretation does). I simply enjoy, literally, seeing the details better (intended by the producers at the time or not).

^^^^^^^
We've been over this territory before, but it bears repeating.

Seeing a movie in a darkened theater on a screen that takes up a large portion of one's field of vision differs significantly from seeing the same movie at home on a TV set that takes up a much smaller portion of that field of vision and where there will almost certainly be myriad distractions.

These differences are much diminished in the "home theater" setups we're seeing more of these days. A small room (what had been a bedroom in most cases, I'd wager) devoted to viewing a 60-plus inch screen makes for an immersive experience to rival and perhaps exceed what you get at the movie theater.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I love going to the movies, and of course some things scream to be seen and heard on a big screen with awesome sound.

I love watching at home, too. We have a 55 inch Samsung, and I looked at the 60 inch, but thought it obscenely huge.

I now know that there is no home screen too big.

Should have gone for the gusto...

A nephew has an 80-inch screen mounted to the wall above the fireplace in his living room. The thing is nearly the size of a queen size bed.

Problem, as I see it, is that you can't ignore an 80-inch TV, so if it's on, everyone visiting his open floor plan pad is watching TV whether they want to or not. If it were mine, I'd set it up in a spare bedroom or a rec room and put a more modest screen in the living room.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
A nephew has an 80-inch screen mounted to the wall above the fireplace in his living room. The thing is nearly the size of a queen size bed.

Problem, as I see it, is that you can't ignore an 80-inch TV, so if it's on, everyone visiting his open floor plan pad is watching TV whether they want to or not. If it were mine, I'd set it up in a spare bedroom or a rec room and put a more modest screen in the living room.

A home theatre room would be awesome, sadly not doable in our current home. It is fairly large, yet only three bedrooms, all occupied (empty nest syndrome is not on our horizon for another ten years or so at least). 80 would perhaps be a bit on the large size.

And, yet...

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I have my screen set up in a part of
the house where I have my old time
desk and chair where I paint or go online.

There are no sets in the living room.
This makes for great conversations
with friends who come to visit.

I have my screen set up in a part of
the house where I have my old time
desk and chair where I paint or go online.

There are no sets in the living room.
This makes for great conversations
with friends who come to visit.

The TV in the living room is a 32-inch that all but disappears when it's turned off. It is positioned on a low hearth directly in front of the glass-fronted firebox with a black surround. Like you, I prefer not having TV impede conversation. And I don't use our perfectly functional fireplace anyway, because it is energy inefficient and pollutes quite a bit.

I've been dealing with that for over a year. It's really frustrating. Went to my primary care doctor months ago, and they told me they couldn't do anything. I'm using a cream I found online now, which actually seems to be helping, but the PR is REALLY stubborn.

I noticed it on my back, between the shoulder-blades, last thursday afternoon. I didn't knew this topic, before. But days later, with help of the internet, I finally found out, that it's exactly this. But I go no further health-problems.
There is the "mother patch" (oval) on my back, which didn't enlarged itself since thursday. Since sunday, there is another smaller patch next to it, which didn't enlarge, too. And there is another patch on my right upper-arm inside, which probably coheres with it, but that patch doesn't really seem to enlarge, too.

I though about, what could be the reason for this thing, but I'm not sure. Probably a combination of things, including summer-weather. Probably, it was already there, before last thursday and I just didn't saw it. I made sure, last sunday, and waisted that stupid high-concentrated perfume-deo (triple amount of fragrance!), I bought more or less for fun, last thursday. Normally, I don't wear addtional perfume/Eau de toilette. I stopped wearing Eau de toilette in late 2015.

EDIT:
I looked in the mirror, minutes ago, and the "mother-patch" and the other patch on my back seem to fade! They seemingly went from red to rose and the blisters seem to crust. It now looks much better, than last sunday! :)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The TV in the living room is a 32-inch that all but disappears when it's turned off. It is positioned on a low hearth directly in front of the glass-fronted firebox with a black surround. Like you, I prefer not having TV impede conversation.
Like you, I really don't like a TV set intruding on convivial chit-chat when friends call. We too have a 32" television, but you never see it unless it's switched on. It lives inside a cabinet, the doors of which are always closed.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
That it is the general concept of self-assembly furniture. :rolleyes:

Yes, I know ... but it's the whole 'general concept' of self-assembly that 'ticks me off'. It's quite a decent development over here and simply suggests that the manufacturers are lazy and greedy (which I suppose we know anyway!). ... Also, it sometimes happens that it's not made clear just how much you have to do until the thing arrives, i.e. the promise of 'some self-assembly' turns out to be the whole damned thing. ...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We occasionally get u-assemble-it desks and such at work, and the rule of thumb is that it takes twice as much space to put the thing together as the finished item will take up. And the other rule of thumb is that the small bits and pieces will always be a color that blends in with the floor so you don't find them until you put your kneecap down on them, hard, while shuffling around looking for them, and you will end up with a very nice bruise the same size and shape as the screw, bolt, locking pin, or trim cap.

As far as placement of TV sets goes, mine's on a swivel-top table right in the living room where all the world and its cousin can see it and ask about it. "Oh wow, does that WORK? That's like, from Civil War times, right?"

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
It's quite a recent development over here and simply suggests that the manufacturers are lazy and greedy

Supply & demand. The market wants cheap, easily transportable furniture which flat packed self-assembly furniture fills. Probably every house in the western world has at least one item from the dreaded IKEA. :rolleyes: Consumerism rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL