Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
That it is the general concept of self-assembly furniture. :rolleyes:
Well, the idea has been around fir a long time. Larkin of Buffalo and the "Come-Pakt" company of Ann Arbor, MI pioneered the concept at the turn of the last century. Thonet in Vienna had produced similar knock-down bent beech furniture in great quantities since the mid-1840s.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Well, the idea has been around fir a long time. Larkin of Buffalo and the "Come-Pakt" company of Ann Arbor, MI pioneered the concept at the turn of the last century. Thonet in Vienna had produced similar knock-down bent beech furniture in great quantities since the mid-1840s.

Do you know if Noah's DIY instructions on building an ark included a warranty?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Do you know if Noah's DIY instructions on building an ark included a warranty?

I wouldn't know, though I remember some sort of warranty related to the Ark.

However I DO know that Come-Pakt was the lineal ancestor of both the Arborphone and International - Kadette radio firms and the Argus camera company.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Yep, he negociated a 40 day ' Warranty of fitness for a particular purpose' carved in stone. However, the supplier declined all responsibility in case of faulty workmanship.

This is a scratch-build kit in case you're
interested.

IMG_9036.JPG

I'm reluctantly reticent about purchasing
the kit since the animals are not included. :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A lot of that sort of thing is "hypercorrection," a habit of some speakers who are unsure and insecure about their grammar and its reflection on their social standing, and therefore use the more prestigious-sounding of the available constructions in the assumption that prestigious equals correct. The habit of saying "So-and-so and myself did such and such" instead of "So-and-so and I did such-and-such" is a prime example of hypercorrection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes