Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
youTube Gripe:
Student films -- need I say more? Actually the story isn't bad but these guys could have gotten in touch with a local WWII reenactment group for assistance. And who knew that Sicilian villages looked a lot like Midwestern farm houses???? :p

We've shown a lot of student films, and what always bugs me about them is their absolute po' faced lack of anything even remotely resembling a sense of humor. If I'd gone to a school where you got to make student films, I'd have made one comedy after another, but gawdforbid any of these aesthetes should ever do anything that isn't a Grim Exploration Of Our Inner Fears. When I'm dictator, every film school student under my domain will be locked up and forced to watch "Sullivan's Travels" over and over again until they see the light.

EngProf

Practically Family
We've shown a lot of student films, and what always bugs me about them is their absolute po' faced lack of anything even remotely resembling a sense of humor. If I'd gone to a school where you got to make student films, I'd have made one comedy after another, but gawdforbid any of these aesthetes should ever do anything that isn't a Grim Exploration Of Our Inner Fears. When I'm dictator, every film school student under my domain will be locked up and forced to watch "Sullivan's Travels" over and over again until they see the light.
It's not a student film, but it was an amateur film that my brother and his friends made, that followed your suggestion (in advance) that they should make a comedy.
From the name alone you can get the general idea: "Scoop Slanders, Crime Reporter". It was a combination of crusading-journalist-movie combined with some Bond-film plot elements. The (super) villain was a fanatical environmentalist named "The Mad Canadian", complete with stocking cap, beard, and red-flannel checkered shirt.
Scoop had to work with his police contact, "The Lieutenant", to uncover the plot and stop the Mad Canadian from destroying the world's oil supply using a super oil-eating bacteria that he had stolen from the Israelis.
It met the ultimate comedy test in that at the ~150 person gala-opening, everyone laughed at the funny parts, and then demanded that it be shown again immediately.

They also made a very short film, "One Small Step", which had a group of NASA executives railing about Neil Armstrong's blown line at the first moon landing: "It's one small step for A man..." - "We practiced that line at least 1000 times..."

EngProf

Practically Family
Did "The Mad Canadian" look anything like the guy from The Red-Green Show? Because I suddenly have that in my head now. LOL
I would say more like Red in his younger days. The Mad Canadian wore one of those knit stocking caps with the little ball on the top.
However, the basic Red Green idea was definitely there - the Mad Canadian had a stuffed weasel as a pet.
(Mentioning Red Green makes me think of my favorite Possum Lodge incident: One of Red's pals mentions that he and his wife recently had their 25th wedding anniversary.
He said he knew it was their silver anniversary, so he got his wife a new Craftsman socket set. "She was so happy she cried.")

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Ha! Had to go to the ol' youtube after I posted that and it's unbelievable how much Red Green there is. Weird watching it again. Great, now I'll be busy watching that again. LOL

Ascension Day/Fathers Day/Mens Day in old Germany, today. So, I stay at home and let all the drunken muppets pass by... :D

vorsicht-vatertag-am-do-2-juni.png

Last edited:
Unpeeeling what seems to be a perfectly good banana and finding that it is bruised beyound the point of eating. Its not smooshy to the touch or brown skinned at all. That happens more these days than I can ever recall. Anyone else?

Unpeeeling what seems to be a perfectly good banana and finding that it is bruised beyound the point of eating. Its not smooshy to the touch or brown skinned at all. That happens more these days than I can ever recall. Anyone else?

What I hate more is that it’s nearly impossible to find a ripe one. Only green ones are found at the supermarket. If you want to eat a banana, you’d better plan 7-10 days ahead.

My 86 year old mother, who - like many 86 year olds - doesn't give a darn anymore and just says whatever cranky thought comes into her head (she was easier to spend time with when she filtered a bit more) has given up on bananas for your reason and she's "tired of having to time the whole ripening thing - it's a pain in the *ss -" this from a woman who I never heard curse until she hit her seventies.

Last edited:
It never really made any sense to me why so many things were free on the web - newspapers, shipping, taxes, information (encyclopedias, dictionaries, calculators, reference material) and on and on - but what the heck, never look a gift horse in the mouth. Also, I do understand the advertising model - free in exchange for looking at adds - as there was nothing new in that, radio had that model since the '20s. But again, it didn't really "feel" right to me - like somehow it was all a house of cards waiting to collapse.

But it's gone on so long, I kinda got used to it. But now, slowly, it seems to be being walked back. Some newspapers - like the NYT - are really enforcing their pay walls, Amazon Prime just increased its price (as Netflix has done a few times) and several reference sites (general ones and ones in my industry of finance), that had been free, are now starting to charge subscription fees. Theoretically, I have no issue with this as nobody owes me anything for free and everyone has a right to charge a fee for their business offerings (I do for mine) - but irrationally / emotionally, since I got used to the free stuff, it does tick me off a bit.

She's decided you're old enough now to hear those words. And her bucket of *!cks is empty.:D

My girlfriend of twenty-plus years and I were talking about it the other day and don't really remember if it was her sixties or seventies when the cursing and other "I don't give a darn" behavior started. She now, sadly, has some dementia, so that is thrown into the mix (and makes a lot of things very challenging), but even before the dementia, the cursing and other "I don't care" behavior was going on for years.

My mom is not and was never fancy as she grew up in all but abject poverty and, as an adult, lived a modest lifestyle when I was growing up (think "The Wonder Years" TV show and you're pretty close), but she was always very polite and never cursed or, really, criticized much of anything (my father did enough of that for both of them) - so it was quite an adjustment originally (and still can jar me from time to time) when she started (starts) firing out the F-bombs (oh yes, the F-bombs from my 5' tall, sub-100lbs mother) and other curse words and criticisms.

It was only recently that she informed me she was done with those "f**king bananas that are either all bruised or take for ever to f**king ripen." Okey-dokey Mom.

My girlfriend of twenty-plus years and I were talking about it the other day and don't really remember if it was her sixties or seventies when the cursing and other "I don't give a darn" behavior started. She now, sadly, has some dementia, so that is thrown into the mix (and makes a lot of things very challenging), but even before the dementia, the cursing and other "I don't care" behavior was going on for years.

My mom is not and was never fancy as she grew up in all but abject poverty and, as an adult, lived a modest lifestyle when I was growing up (think "The Wonder Years" TV show and you're pretty close), but she was always very polite and never cursed or, really, criticized much of anything (my father did enough of that for both of them) - so it was quite an adjustment originally (and still can jar me from time to time) when she started (starts) firing out the F-bombs (oh yes, the F-bombs from my 5' tall, sub-100lbs mother) and other curse words and criticisms.

It was only recently that she informed me she was done with those "f**king bananas that are either all bruised or take for ever to f**king ripen." Okey-dokey Mom.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
To funny. At least as the story is told and to the outside audience.

You should wean your Mom off those ****ing bananas, they are causing her to have an attack of tourettes.

Good one ⇧. But the list is too long. She's over it now, but the tirade against all "those f**king seeds in tomatoes that are too f**king hard anyway" was a particular aggressive one - but now she's back to eating tomatoes without a complaint. Yogurt swings in an out of acceptability (me: "do you want me to bring you some yogurt," her: "I'm tired of that f**king tasteless sh*t," me: "um, okay, can't wait to see you later today") and you don't want to get her started a brown lettuce leaves. As one of my best friends - a German Catholic mind you, but very New Yorker now - would say, Oy Vey. As I'm sure we all do with our elderly parents, some days it's just one foot in front of the other and keep going. And one good thing, she has always liked and has never said a bad word about pizza.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW