Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Um, where is this Gen Y-girl?? I like her! :D

infographic-bet-you-cant-guess-which-generation-has-the-best-credit1.jpg

Where can I find her? London, Berlin, New York, Tokyo, Moscow??

But, please, don't bring back those Boomers-Denver Clan-haircuts. :D

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
We've shown a lot of student films, and what always bugs me about them is their absolute po' faced lack of anything even remotely resembling a sense of humor. If I'd gone to a school where you got to make student films, I'd have made one comedy after another, but gawdforbid any of these aesthetes should ever do anything that isn't a Grim Exploration Of Our Inner Fears. When I'm dictator, every film school student under my domain will be locked up and forced to watch "Sullivan's Travels" over and over again until they see the light.

Maybe they're just afraid of the reaction of their peers.

Years ago, I lucked into a premier screening of The Lost Skeleton of Cadavera on the Bowery. in the audience, a few rows in front of us, was one obvious film student type who kept making this weird, forced (and obviously fake) hyena-type laugh the whole way through, just in case any of the rest of us were worried that he'd missed one of the references.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Um, where is this Gen Y-girl?? I like her! :D
infographic-bet-you-cant-guess-which-generation-has-the-best-credit1.jpg
Baby Boomers, 47 to 65? And there was I under the impression that the world went on a baby boom, post WW2. Both victors and vanquished alike came home from the war and nine months later the baby boomer generation started. 47 to 65 means that either the former soldiers weren't up to it or perhaps the war didn't end until 1952.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The baby boomers are generally considered to have been born 1946-1964. I've seen less arguing over those dates than with the borders of some other "generations".

But that's a long time, breaking down to (at least) three different cohorts of early, mid, and late boomers whose experiences were pretty different from one another. (I'm a textbook mid-boomer, born dead center in 1955. Which means that early boomer experiences like the rise of Elvis are before my time. And things that late boomers experienced as little kids, like Star Wars, impacted me differently because I was already out of college.)

Honestly, the whole defining "generations" by age thing is kind of arbitrary and sketchy, and prone to questionable generalizing. It's an interesting thought experiment with some use, but hardly definitive. There are micro-environment experiences of location and family that have way more impact on people growing up then what years/historical events/popular culture they were exposed to. Anyway, that's my feeling.

The baby boomers are generally considered to have been born 1946-1964. I've seen less arguing over those dates than with the borders of some other "generations".

But that's a long time, breaking down to (at least) three different cohorts of early, mid, and late boomers whose experiences were pretty different from one another. (I'm a textbook mid-boomer, born dead center in 1955. Which means that early boomer experiences like the rise of Elvis are before my time. And things that late boomers experienced as little kids, like Star Wars, impacted me differently because I was already out of college.)

Honestly, the whole defining "generations" by age thing is kind of arbitrary and sketchy, and prone to questionable generalizing. It's an interesting thought experiment with some use, but hardly definitive. There are micro-environment experiences of location and family that have way more impact on people growing up then what years/historical events/popular culture they were exposed to. Anyway, that's my feeling.

⇧ Agreed. I was born in '64 (usually considered the last year of the baby boomers), but my dad was 40 (born in '24) when I was born and I was raised with more of a '30s/'40s world view than most of my peers who had parents 15 or so years younger than my dad. Part of why FL appeals to me so much is that the world inside my house growing up was very FL '30s/'40s in culture and viewpoint.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The notion that I had the handle on something new that nobody else was
aware and the realization as I get older that my father and his father most likely
had similar thoughts.
Chew on that for a moment! :D

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up

Agreed, and well argued, you make some very good points.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
I'm a classic early Boomer (born mid-'47). The Baby Boom was socially significant in that the nation went into a frenzy of school-building and teacher-training. While I was growing up there always seemed to be a shortage of classrooms with new schools under construction. My high school graduating class ('65) numbered 640-something. 5 years earlier that school's graduating class numbered fewer than 100. Postwar prosperity provided a youth market and a youth culture unlike any previous generation. My perception of my generation does not quite follow the '46-'64 demographic. Culturally, for me a Boomer's formative years were the '50s and '60s. So I would estimate the true Boomer birth years to be roughly '43-'55. For me, if you can't remember the '50s you aren't a true Boomer.

Maybe they're just afraid of the reaction of their peers.

Years ago, I lucked into a premier screening of The Lost Skeleton of Cadavera on the Bowery. in the audience, a few rows in front of us, was one obvious film student type who kept making this weird, forced (and obviously fake) hyena-type laugh the whole way through, just in case any of the rest of us were worried that he'd missed one of the references.

Yup. Affected laughter will turn me off a person faster than most anything. I am acquainted with a person who, thanks to a certain familial overlap, I'm kinda stuck with. His phony laughter is fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Unless you were in a rock & roll band or a school dropout,
this was the style worn in the 50s which I recall. Regulations
at public school required no long side-burns or duck-tails.
I never saw adults (men) with long hair back then.
hairstyles-for-men-from-1950s-1-min.jpg

In another week, this guy would’ve paid a visit to the local barbershop
which were available everywhere. 50¢ for kids and $1 for adults.

When I came home on furlough around 63-64, I saw a young man with
hair slightly below the ears in a mop top copy of the Fabulous Four from
the UK walking downtown and attracting attention. (Pre-mall days).
Folks turned around to look again since it was not common. :(

Last edited:
...Regulations at public school required no long side-burns or duck-tails. I never saw adults (men) with long hair back then...
When I was in junior high/middle school the staff suddenly announced one day that any male student whose hair was long enough to touch his shirt collar would be suspended, and allowed us a one-week grace period to comply. This would have been late-1973 to early-1975, so they were trying to close that gate long after the horse had left. By the end of that week they were forced to rescind that regulation because they had received so many complaints from parents, and so few students had complied, that they would have been forced to suspend 95% of the male students.
I1SQyi8.gif

⇧ Agreed. I was born in '64 (usually considered the last year of the baby boomers), but my dad was 40 (born in '24) when I was born and I was raised with more of a '30s/'40s world view than most of my peers who had parents 15 or so years younger than my dad. Part of why FL appeals to me so much is that the world inside my house growing up was very FL '30s/'40s in culture and viewpoint.

That was exactly my childhood. Born in 1964 to parents born in 1928 (Dad) and 1929 (Mom).

That was exactly my childhood. Born in 1964 to parents born in 1928 (Dad) and 1929 (Mom).

When the second half of the '60s hit and bleed into the early '70s, it was like I was living in two worlds: Golden Era norms, values, morals and style at home juxtaposed with the social and cultural explosion taking place in the outside world.

To this day, that schism is the default / unconscious framework through which I see everything.

When I was in junior high/middle school the staff suddenly announced one day that any male student whose hair was long enough to touch his shirt collar would be suspended, and allowed us a one-week grace period to comply. This would have been late-1973 to early-1975, so they were trying to close that gate long after the horse had left. By the end of that week they were forced to rescind that regulation because they had received so many complaints from parents, and so few students had complied, that they would have been forced to suspend 95% of the male students.
I1SQyi8.gif

Which is a lesson to anyone attempting to impose a policy before he has carefully considered whether it will stick. Wanna sacrifice yer cred and respect for rules in general? Lay down a law no one will take seriously.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I1SQyi8.gif

Prior to "late-1973 to early-1975"....
A trip to the school boiler room where the vice-principal carrying a flat wooden board administered 6 painful
whacks on my behind for failure to follow the school policy.
A letter from my parents to the school
principal was required in order for me to return to class the following day.
When I showed ma the purple marks on my rear cheeks...she replied, "oh honey...I bet that hurt!"
I believe she gave me a bag of ice to
ease the pain.
Back then, parents and teachers were on the same page.
So much for the "fabulous fifties"! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo