Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Ok, the poppy-seed cake wasn't a goof idea, underways, but it was maybe too fresh?? o_O Still have stomachache. Luckily, I ate just the half portion and leave the rest for home.

35, I'm f....n' old, now. ;)

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I gotta say. That is one of the things I STILL have not gotten used to on this side of the pond: Tuna on Pizza? Fried eggs on Pizza? Canned corn on pizza? It just ain't right.

Although I do chuckle (and like) what they used to call Pizza Americana... A sausage pizza smothered in french fries! :) It may have just been a fad. I haven't seen it on a menu in a while.

And since I'm being opinionated... Neither am I pleased with what some places are calling "pizza" in the USA either. Stuffed crust pizza? Ugh. Well, I guess now I'm trying to compare apples and oranges.

Well, I gotta say. That is one of the things I STILL have not gotten used to on this side of the pond: Tuna on Pizza? Fried eggs on Pizza? Canned corn on pizza? It just ain't right.

Although I do chuckle (and like) what they used to call Pizza Americana... A sausage pizza smothered in french fries! :) It may have just been a fad. I haven't seen it on a menu in a while.

And since I'm being opinionated... Neither am I pleased with what some places are calling "pizza" in the USA either. Stuffed crust pizza? Ugh. Well, I guess now I'm trying to compare apples and oranges.

Do yo have tried spinach pizza?

GHT

I'll Lock Up

Have you tried that American staple that they call hush puppies? It's a cornbread ball, reminds me of a scotch egg. Never could get a flavour for them. And how are you getting on with grits?

Just Jim

A-List Customer
Some words on the actual diggings in the Buchenwald stone quarry:

It's ridiculous!
I was long enough in the "hobby-historian/bunker-scene" to know all these narcists, bumbles and bullshitters very well. Believe me, you can bet your ass, that there's nothing unkown to find!

But the old questions will finally be answered in five weeks. :)
Oh, I don't know--maybe they can find a few of my relatives, who in the early 1940s had Buchenwald as their last known address.

Perhaps they won't be looking that hard though. When I visited Weimar (and the Nationale Mahn und Gedenkstätte Buchenwald) in the early '80s, I got the impression that many of the folks there still regarded the KZs as a "good start". Other than the name change (to Gedenkstätte Buchenwald), it doesn't look like much has changed.

Oh, I don't know--maybe they can find a few of my relatives, who in the early 1940s had Buchenwald as their last known address. http://www.musikgymnasium-belvedere.de/veranstaltungen.html

Perhaps they won't be looking that hard though. When I visited Weimar (and the Nationale Mahn und Gedenkstätte Buchenwald) in the early '80s, I got the impression that many of the folks there still regarded the KZs as a "good start". Other than the name change (to Gedenkstätte Buchenwald), it doesn't look like much has changed.

If they would really found unknown tunnels, there wouldn't be human remains. Maximal objects of art or other stuff would be there, like in the two known tunnels, US Army cleared after liberation.

It's a whole media hype and we Thuringians are sick of this. Remember "Jonastal"... . ;) The whole media bullshit started in 1992, caused by Boris Jelzin, who made a clumsy comment, that He knows, where the Amber Room is.

An army of bookwriters/charlatans followed. And all this bullshit went on for 20 years. Today, we luckily know better.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If they would really found unknown tunnels, there wouldn't be human remains. Maximal objects of art or other stuff would be there, like in the two known tunnels, US Army cleared after liberation.

It's a whole media hype and we Thuringians are sick of this. Remember "Jonastal"... . ;) The whole media bullshit started in 1992, caused by Boris Jelzin, who made a clumsy comment, that He knows, where the Amber Room is.

An army of bookwriters/charlatans followed. And all this bullshit went on for 20 years. Today, we luckily know better.

I was wondering what prompted this discussion. Aha! Of course! Not to be too dismissive, but it does sound a bit like the “Nazi Gold Train” nonsense of a few years back. You would think that, if there was a remaining secret treasure chamber, it would have been found years ago.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/secret-nazi-tunnels-under-concentration-20173921

I’d dismiss it as a bit of “boys just want to play at being Indiana Jones” fun, except for the painful emotions that are still very real. They should only disturb the site if they are damned sure there is something there. Certainly not as a treasure hunter stunt. Enough said.

I knew the legend since I was kid in the 90s. This stupid legend says that "of course" the Ettersberg is like a Swizz Cheese and there's a whole bunker-system unter the surface. Like always told on such places. ;););)

But we all know, that the Ettersberg isn't the Obersalzberg. ;)

Buchenwald was just the camp, the Gustloff II facility and some housing complexes around.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There used to be a walk-up stand at the end of my street that served fresh-caught fish and chips, perfectly done in every way, with malt vinegar, for $8. I've never had anything so good, with the exception of a Katz's pastrami sandwich, in my life.

The stand closed three years ago, and I'm still grieving. There are places in town here that can do passable fish and chips when I'm in the mood, but nothing anywhere near as good as I got from the late and lamented "Duo's Take Out." It makes me want to cry just to think of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff