Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

The Pixar flick “Ratatouille” aside (fun little movie, by the way; see it if you haven’t already, or even if you have), you really don’t want rats anywhere near you.

Several years ago I did a feature on rats and the people who exterminate them. It was a fun piece (exterminators are an amusing bunch) and I learned a lot.

The story prompted letters, one of which dressed me down for my “hysterical anti-rat diatribe,” and went on at length about what lovely, family-oriented creatures rats are. Of course I saw to it that letter got published.

Last edited:
Edible, and bones contain protein. Check the skinned carcass for spots, stave stick, cook.

Calvin Trillin wrote a piece in The New Yorker a few years back about dining on rat in China. As with most of Trillin’s efforts, it was quite amusing. He told of live rats kept in a cage, pointing to the one of his preference, and watching as the cook reached into the cage, grabbed Trillin’s main course by its tail, and killed it by forcefully throwing it on the floor.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Calvin Trillin wrote a piece in The New Yorker a few years back about dining on rat in China. As with most of Trillin’s efforts, it was quite amusing. He told of live rats kept in a cage, pointing to the one of his preference, and watching as the cook reached into the cage, grabbed Trillin’s main course by its tail, and killed it by forcefully throwing it on the floor.

In Hong Kong monkey brain is offered by street vendors who kill and crack skull then fry a brain burger.
Supposedly an aphrodisiac....

A little etymology: The sandwich made with an Italian-style loaf of bread was created as the "submarine sandwich" by the likeness of the long and relatively smaller diameter to the naval craft.

Since we can't be bothered with using five syllables where one will do, it got shortened to "sub".

Now in Pennsylvania, such a sandwich is (or was, it's been 50 years since I left my hometown, so I can't vouch for current usage) called a hoagie. Don't ask me where that came from.
According to at least once source on the 'Net the term "hoagie" originated in the Philadelphia Naval Yard, which was located on a piece of land once known as "Hog Island", so the workers there were known as "hoggies". As the story goes, the many Italian immigrant Navy Yard workers ate enough of the "hoggie" sandwiches to get them named after themselves. Eventually "hoggie" became "hoagie", most likely because of the Philadelphia accent.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In Hong Kong monkey brain is offered by street vendors who kill and crack skull then fry a brain burger.
Supposedly an aphrodisiac....
By coincidence, The Temple of Doom was re-run on one of our TV channels last night. Monkey brains, I'm with poor Kate Capshaw, I think I would pass out too.
monkey.jpg

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not too long ago, domestic animals have been valuable, not ordinary protein sources here and so the waste has been kept least possible so brain, blood and offal dishes are quite widespread specialties at this end.
In Württemberg it’s brain soup for example, brain sausages in the northern half, blood soups, blood grits with buckwheat and blood sausages... all over the country.
Here in the west you still often get cured tongue as cold cuts at the butcher´s and in Bavaria still ground lungs, udders in a whole...
And I would estimate monkeys to be just very common domestic animals in Asia...

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
By coincidence, The Temple of Doom was re-run on one of our TV channels last night. Monkey brains, I'm with poor Kate Capshaw....

In Greece sheep's head is a staple dish. One occasion, a group of us had grilled goat meat,
which is excellent but a single vote cast for the brainer.

My Dear Old Ma has a weakness for pickled pigs feet and head cheese, both of which are acquired tastes. I recall her being thrilled several decades back when she came across a fellow who made in his home head cheese the way it should be made. She became among his more devoted patrons.

Turnip

Love head cheese, with homemade fries.
Still widely available at almost any butcher´s. Some sour, some salty, depending on regions.
Pig feet would mostly have to be ordered meanwhile but no problem to get. Belongs into every (homemade) thick pea soup imho.

Classic Headphones-topic:

I'm using my nice old whatever no-name 90s cable headphones on my notebook.
The question for me is, if there could be a "standard" setting to use. I mean, if there's an ergonomic rule, I maybe don't know?

I tried to get it more and more comfortable. I put the bale two marks looser, right now and at the moment, it seems to fit more comfortable. But maybe there's any trick, I don't know??

Turnip

^^^^
I’d wager that a large majority of Americans under age 80 or so don’t know what head cheese is. And many over age 80 would argue that those youngsters ought be thankful for that.

Here you go...

sauerkraut-mit-schweineschnauze.jpg

Sauerkraut with piggy snout...:)...very traditional.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^^^^
I’d wager that a large majority of Americans under age 80 or so don’t know what head cheese is. And many over age 80 would argue that those youngsters ought be thankful for that.

When the Chicago stockyards were here, the whole hog was harvested-everything but the squeal.

Edward

Bartender
^^^^

Exceptin' those who've seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre, of course. Where I learned it, anyhow!

Turnip

And those who consume industrial ground meats.
They still do eat those remains, lips, a..holes, claws and separator meats, it’s just a different graining...:D

Last edited:

Haversack

One Too Many
Head cheese oder kopfkäse: An important part of a good Bayrische Brotzeit. Some good rye bread, mustard, pickled vegetables, Grupfter (strong spreadable cheese), and Korn (Schnapps). Just the thing for when the hungries start around 10:00 AM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk