So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by GHT, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Ah, OK, that makes it even worse.

MisterCairo likes this.
  2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I still can't get over the milk in big plastic bags. We have strict dairy laws in Maine, and for good and legitimate reason, but nothing like that.

MisterCairo likes this.
  3. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Often called a "Canadian" thing, it is in fact limited mainly to eastern Canada. The west prefers jugs and cartons.

20210223_152820.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Turnip likes this.
  4. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

This one ( we have two jugs, one for 1% and one for skim) even came with a handy bag slicer. Sadly, it is not sharp enough, so scissors or a paring knife it is...

20210223_153400.jpg 20210223_153409.jpg

Edward, Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  5. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Quebec too. I used to be afraid to open the dairy coolers in Montreal because I thought I might accidentally pop one.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Listened to National Public Radio today and its coverage of Attorney General nominee Merrick Garland's
    Senate confirmation hearing. Buttergate aptly sums his appearance. A more poorly prepared lawyer never
    has so failed, utterly failed to make his own case. Udder failure.

MisterCairo likes this.
  7. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

Now here's a scary thought: evidently I'm eligible for membership in the American Legion. Two weeks of officer candidate school, and an honorable discharge because of a medical (high BP) issue (and a Form DD214 out there somewhere documenting same) apparently more than covers it. Are they THAT hard up for members?

Look: I don't consider myself a veteran at all. Never have. The "one day of active duty service" that the Legion requires doesn't really set the bar at all, IMHO.

I also confess a somewhat negative view of the Legion in light of their history. During the 1920's and 1930's they were often hired as goons against organized labor. And that Red baiting "more American than thou" rhetoric has never set well with me.

While I certainly appreciate them and respect them for their advocacy on behalf of educational, health care, and other needs for combat vets, I don't see myself sitting in a Legion Post bar listening to war stories at my age.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Edward, LizzieMaine and Zombie_61 like this.
  8. Hercule

Hercule Practically Family

Just think of the parades you're going to miss! You would have cut quite a dashing figure in the yellow ascot and white web-belt I'm sure.

Zombie_61 and ChiTownScion like this.
  9. ChiTownScion

If I became a Shriner at least I'd have a tiny powered car for those parades.

Edward, MisterCairo and Zombie_61 like this.
  10. Hercule

oooh! Don't forget the Fez! I bet you could convince them to give you a scimitar.

Zombie_61 and ChiTownScion like this.
  11. ChiTownScion

I actually was a member (Medinah, Chicago) for a few years in the 80's and 90's. I like the work that they do for kids in their orthopedic and burn treatment hospitals. The rest... not really for me. I'll leave it at that.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  12. Hercule

All kidding about the little cars and funny hats aside, yes indeed, the work they do is truly laudable.

13. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I’ll always remember the Honda Dream motorcycles the local Shriners MC drill team used. Couldn’t give those bikes away when they were 10 years old. Not so these days, now that old farts like me are looking to recapture their youth by acquiring artifacts from those times.

I dig fezes, by the way, but I fear that if I wore one out in public I’d be mistaken for a Shriner. I mean, I’m old enough, and square-enough looking. But a couple of my least-favorite people were Shriners. Really wouldn’t wish to be associated with them. (Maybe if I wore the fez only with raggedy blue jeans and Chuck Taylors? I have several old straw boaters, and I’ve yet to be confused for a barbershop quartet singer. So there’s that.)

I caught a little heat when covering a controversy surrounding an aerial insecticide spraying program to address a threatened Asian Gypsy moth infestation. The presence of the moths was verified by the appearance of males in pheromone traps, which, as I wrote, attract the moths “like Shriners to a Nevada cathouse.”

It was worth it.

ChiTownScion and Zombie_61 like this.
  14. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

I remember we had this milk in bags at this end of the pond too when I was a kid. Haven’t seen them for decades but am sure they are still available here at some discounters.

MisterCairo likes this.
  15. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

The American Legion paid a price for its attitude towards the Vietnam veteran; eventually came to realize
    this and made belated amends however too little too late. Veterans as a collective voting entity still are
    recognized as viable constituency but most issues arising germane have been dealt with mainly outside the
    Legion/Veterans of Foreign Wars involve. The younger kids are a more receptive generation and ready
    to avail any and all assistance, but also more sophisticated. I've counseled some of these kids and they
    are most impressive. Where I have intuited the continued organizational presence is in wound/medical
    care issues. Most of the Purple Heart recipients I have met that were severely wounded would not have
    made it off the battlefield during Vietnam. Animals, dogs especially are now serving somatic and trauma
    patients to a remarkable degree with seeming great effectiveness.

ChiTownScion and MisterCairo like this.
  16. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

"supply managed", what exactly is that?

MisterCairo likes this.
  17. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Bags are apparently used in Israel as well. Who knew?!

18. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

This is for informational purposes only, not to open up a debate, so here goes:

In Canada, some products like milk, chicken, and turkey are managed in terms of supply by regulating how much is produced and by extension, who can produce.

A provincially mandated private board issues "quota", the total number of product units that can be produced (milk, eggs) or raised (birds). That total is sold in the market to farmers having the means to buy it and produce.

Initial quota allocations were reasonably priced. However, ironically if you will, the supply of quota is far less than the demand for it, so now we have paper millionaires who are free to sell on, or pass down to the next generation.

The quid pro quo for limiting supply is to guarantee price at the market stall. So by some (not all) standards Canadians pay more for milk, eggs, etc. I say some standards, because this system avoids the massive government subsidies of these products, a hidden cost found in other jurisdictions.

This is an issue in internal Canadian politics and before international trade panels. I have no personal dog in the fight, though my inlaws raise broiler chickens and my wife's aunt and uncle are dairy farmers, I think the prices are reasonable given the farmers are not competing each other into bankruptcy, but I do wish the butter was more easily spread!

19. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

In the Era, the Legion was known in labor circles as "The American Fascisti," and for good reason -- Legion commander Alvin Owsley, in 1923, frankly declared it to be such. Left-leaning WWI veterans, of which there were many, were purged during the 20s and 30s, ensuring that what remained were the kind of people who would threaten to lynch anyone who declined to salute the flag.

ChiTownScion and tonyb like this.
  20. Hercule

No, I see you more as a Dervish. Do you whirl?

Zombie_61 likes this.